PDA

View Full Version : swirl pot?

mr5050
05-04-10, 11:32 PM
ive just fitted my fuel system, ive mounted a small alloy fuel tank in the boot with the pump in front of it(didnt know if its better there or in the bay?) and the fuel lines running under the car, i think its a 3 gallon tank (looks a little bigger than a ft' squared), will i need a swirl pot for that size tank? also the tank has only 2 outputs which are being used by the feed and return lines so i drilled a 5mm hole in the cap for airflow, is this ok? cheers

Lee
05-04-10, 11:35 PM
If its a motorsport tank its probably baffled anyway.

Did it not have a breather then??

mr5050
05-04-10, 11:54 PM
no breather, i bought it when i knew nothing about how everything works, not that much has changed, dont know if its baffled, ill have a look tomorrow, what am i looking for? lol

Lee
06-04-10, 12:12 AM
Can be done many ways, but will probably either have fins in the tank or will be filled with a light spongey substance. Probably be the former if it was a mid range jobbie.

Some just have a large internal dish around the intake, much like multipoint nova tanks.

mr5050
06-04-10, 12:20 AM
nice:thumb: 5mm breather hole big enough?

Lee
06-04-10, 01:26 PM
nice:thumb: 5mm breather hole big enough?

If your running a single pump, it should be enough on an injection engine, but if you run a recircualting system with a front mounted swirl pot or carbs, it probably wont be, as the fuel will be shifting bow to stern pretty fast.

i would run a small piece of pipe from your breather to the outside as well or the car is going to stink of fuel.

mr5050
06-04-10, 05:41 PM
i would run a small piece of pipe from your breather to the outside as well or the car is going to stink of fuel.
good call, i was just going to bung a 6inch piece of pipe in there, crosser stylelol , but it is going to humm

mowgli
06-04-10, 05:55 PM
i take it you don't plan to go much more than 50 miles at a time then.........

mr5050
06-04-10, 06:08 PM
ye i know its not ideal but will do for now as its just for getting around in, work, yard etc. ive only got 18 days to build tax and test the car so it just a mix of nova bits off other projects ive got.

Lee
06-04-10, 06:16 PM
Is this thing going to be running carb or injection, because any connections made inside the car on a high pressure fuel system should be JIC-6 connectors really, and a keen MOT tester will spot that.

mr5050
06-04-10, 07:56 PM
Is this thing going to be running carb or injection, because any connections made inside the car on a high pressure fuel system should be JIC-6 connectors really, and a keen MOT tester will spot that.
its a standard c20xe, what are JIC-6 connectors? the lines were done by pirtek and are very high pressure hoses, will a jubilee clip not be adequate?

Lee
06-04-10, 09:32 PM
its a standard c20xe, what are JIC-6 connectors? the lines were done by pirtek and are very high pressure hoses, will a jubilee clip not be adequate?
adequate probably, legal probably not. I dont know the ins and outs, but I do know that a sprint car has to have JIC-6 connectors to get through scrutineering if any connections are internal. Im just saying be wary mate thats all, I suppose it depends on the competence and/or analyness of your MOT man :)

Look at Dars Articles guide on running internal fuel lines, he used these connectors on his.