PDA

View Full Version : Rust prohibitors

mk1nova_rich
05-04-10, 10:14 AM
Had a bloke come round yesterday to give me a price for some welding I need doing on the Nova. Some of the work is on the chassis rail and he said i should invest in some sort of rust prohibitor to apply inside the chassis rail behind the area to be welded.

What do you lot use, preferably something that doesnt cost the earth??

*Dave*
05-04-10, 07:16 PM
waxoyl, get it from halfords etc.

novasrikev
05-04-10, 07:40 PM
supose you could use old engine oil if you wanted

daleNOVAbrennan
05-04-10, 07:44 PM
supose you could use old engine oil if you wanted
What, why would you do that

novasrikev
05-04-10, 07:48 PM
because oil searches into the metal and formes a good barrier and its cheap and repels water

muzzy
05-04-10, 07:50 PM
I would just use waxoil as you can spray it into chassis legs etc

daleNOVAbrennan
05-04-10, 07:51 PM
because oil searches into the metal and formes a good barrier and its cheap and repels water
Just never heard or seen that done before,surely it would be a better idea to apply waxoil after said welding as been done,so it doesnt burn away when welding

Benn
05-04-10, 07:54 PM
Weld thru zinc primer. You spray in on the insides and the plate before you weld it on, It seal over the welds on the insides then you can Waxoil over the top.

novasrikev
05-04-10, 07:57 PM
Just never heard or seen that done before,surely it would be a better idea to apply waxoil after said welding as been done,so it doesnt burn away when welding

waxoil boes burn away when welding and it was my grandad that shown me this on his car its not bad but i use waxoil

daleNOVAbrennan
05-04-10, 07:58 PM
waxoil boes burn away when welding and it was my grandad that shown me this on his car its not bad but i use waxoilhence why i said apply after weldinglol

novasrikev
05-04-10, 08:03 PM
hence why i said apply after weldinglol

ime such a:tard: did not read it properlylol lol

dj_wudgey
05-04-10, 08:13 PM
as said waxoil will be the best!

mk1nova_rich
05-04-10, 08:14 PM
cheers, need to get down to Halfords then for some Waxoyl, primer and some paint. Can't wait to get all welding done and get Nova on the road :d