PDA

View Full Version : 6x9's, Sub, Amp?????

novaboy1.2
21-04-03, 06:57 PM
Right......I'm a complete amateur at I.C.E.

I have a Kenwood headunit 47W x 4

I have 2 Sony 6x9's just now and if its turned up loud then they make a stupid noise. If I got a sub and amp would this cure it or am I better getting some new 6x9's?
The front speakers are sound.
I need to get the balance right between quality and cash, I don’t have loads to spend but want some decent 6x9's and possibly a sub and amp, can any1 help? has anyone got a decent setup that didn't skin them loads of ????
Also, can u get a amp to run your sub and 6x9's off or what, any helps appreciated

Cheers

tonydry
21-04-03, 09:02 PM
your 6*9s will sound better on a amp and u could run a sub of the amp as well as long as its got enough chanels

Nova-Boy
22-04-03, 10:06 AM
Youe head unit will be enough to power 6x9's. If you can turn it up that load that they distort then i would say its the speakers making the noise due to too much power going to them.

If you have to turn the head unit all the way up to do this it could be the amp distorting. Perhaps running a sub and amp would stop too much going to the 6x9 and you wouldn't have to turn it up as load to get the bass. :P

tonydry
22-04-03, 12:01 PM
depends what the watage ov the 6*9s are mine were 280 so sounded crap on the head unit but mint on a amp

Nova-Boy
22-04-03, 12:30 PM
I had sony 6x9 in the back of my old nova. Even with a standard head unit you couls get them to distort. But like tony said if your 6x9 are 280watt MAX power then a lil 100 watt amp would do the trick.

novaboy1.2
22-04-03, 06:44 PM
So say i got 280w 6x9's and a 100 amp sub what kind of amp would i need? do i have to match the rms or what?

Ballsy
22-04-03, 07:17 PM
hey m8, if ur wanting to buy a sub then you should take the 6*9's off the parcel shelf cause the sub will make them sound pants,

The more clean power that you give to the speakers the better they will sound, its better to have some power to spare rather than not having enough

Any install will sound better if you go active with the speakers, eg powering them off 1 or more amps and not off the head unit

hope that helps

Ballsy

novax
26-04-03, 08:11 PM
Ballsy is on the right track there. the best/simplest setup you can have is 2 good front speakers and a properly fixed sub in the boot. DON'T run the 6x9s as well as a sub as it'll sound crap, simple as that. You'll need a 4 channel amp and bridge 2 of them to run the sub. Simple but can produce good results for reasonable money.

adam2472
26-04-03, 08:42 PM
ive got a fixed sub in the boot and sony 6x9's in the parcel shelf and i dunt htink it sounds to bad at all.. i got a pioneer headunit.. ive set it so that the 6x9s arnt giving out that much bass and it sounds fine..

Ballsy
27-04-03, 10:35 PM
its not the fact bou the 6*9's not giving out any bass, if you think how much air the sub is moving in the boot (alot) then where is all this air goin 2 go?? it will try to excape by the easiest means, the boot is covered in metal and the parcel shelf itself is quite thick so that only leaves he space that the 6*9's are takink up, so when the sub moves it will be moving the 6*9's wich jumbles up the sound, so even though u think it sounds good it will always sound better with no speakers on the rear shelf

Ballsy

novax
05-05-03, 12:16 AM
Blaupunkt make some competition 165mm Subs that are only 35mm deep!!! I'm putting 2 of these under the front seats in "X" This will solve all the problems with subs in the boot and 6*9s in the shelf.

novaboy_southwest
05-05-03, 01:14 AM
i got 6x9s and amp and sub in the boot sounds wicked all put some holes in the shelf 6x9 opening size and recoverd shelp in a st george cross all air escapes though holes in shelf and its set up so 6x9 give out the sound and the sub the bass sounds mint no rattle nothing