PDA

View Full Version : astra 16v discs/calipers

dathers
21-04-03, 02:54 AM
Do astra 16V calipers and discs fit under standard gte 14" 3 spokes?
Some people who ive asked say yes,some say know.
Who knows from experience weather they fit under or not.
Dave

rallyslag
21-04-03, 10:31 AM
Mine fit, but thats with a 10mm spacer but usin a spacer is no probs

dathers
21-04-03, 02:15 PM
That would make the offset ET39!!
That would tramline like mad on the road!!
Have you fit 10mm spacers so the brakes fit or for another reason?
Any body tried 16v brakes on standard 3 spokes?
Dave

Aragorn
21-04-03, 02:50 PM
they wont fit with new pads and disks without some sort of spacer

u might only need 3mm maybe 5mm untill the pads wear down enough to remove em but i wouldnt bother

get a set of astra/cav alloys that are at least 5.5Jx14 and you'll be fine

techie
21-04-03, 04:49 PM
or get a second hand set of 15's and do the job properly...

http://mig.lathwood.co.uk/upload/v/v6_brakes1.jpg

http://mig.lathwood.co.uk/upload/v/v6_brakes2.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

thai
21-04-03, 05:38 PM
when we make the frount wheel drive rally car we used rear wheel drive car wheels the offset is diferent it wont catch the disk and it gives you a wider wheel base ie better handling but the wheel alignment will have to be set up profesionaly

mikeoxford
21-04-03, 06:45 PM
Any body tried 16v brakes on standard 3 spokes?
Dave

yes

do not fit unless you use spacers.

i think you could get away with 5mm either side, 1 cm is excessive.

dathers
21-04-03, 07:24 PM
If you use wheels that are way out on offset on the road it tramlines badly,not good on the road!
I used to have 38mm offset on a corsa gsi and it followed every little bump in the road.
Changed them for 49mm and it was fine.
Ive got a set of cav sri16v wheels but im a tyre short,and 2 of them need refurbing.
Dave

scott5
21-04-03, 10:49 PM
the brakes fit with 14" steels if that helps

dathers
21-04-03, 10:53 PM
I wanted to know as i was fitting gmax shox n springs today and wanted to put my astra 16v discs n calipers on while the wheels were off.
Im running standard 3 spoke GTE wheels at the mo,i have some cav sri16v 15" wheels to go on but i need another tyre and two need refurbing.
Dave

mikeoxford
21-04-03, 10:57 PM
I wanted to know as i was fitting gmax shox n springs today and wanted to put my astra 16v discs n calipers on while the wheels were off.
Im running standard 3 spoke GTE wheels at the mo,i have some cav sri16v 15" wheels to go on but i need another tyre and two need refurbing.
Dave

just run the two fifteens on the front and you three spokers on the back :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

kind of the drag car look but back to front :roll:

mikeoxford
21-04-03, 10:57 PM
thinking about it to be fair i bet the rolling diamater of the wheels are prtetty similar if you have the right tyres on them both at least.

you may get away with it

i mean hey c'mon its only like some peeps u c going around with odd wheel trims!

red_devil
22-04-03, 09:17 AM
Tramline????

I've got 18's with a 42et offset with 8mm spacers and it drives perfectly.... i think alot of people have been reading sh*t and not actually experienced it....

Like when people say lowering a car too much upsets the handling... it doesn't make too much difference... what they call upsetting handling to me just seems like lack of comfort.

Nova-Boy
22-04-03, 09:34 AM
When i went to buy my alloys i only had one arch done so after testing a wheel under one arch i drove the car home with 3 15" alloys and one 13" standard!! I only did it for a day thought!

Backwards drag wheels! :lol: I would like to see that!

dathers
22-04-03, 10:33 AM
I used to have 15" x 7",38mm offset wheels with 195/50/15 tyres and it tramlined badly,so bad as to make me change my wheels!!
42ET with 8mm spacers is 36mm offset,if you say your car feels normal your body must be numb and have no feeling!!
Dave

Nova-Boy
22-04-03, 11:41 AM
I used to have 15" x 7",38mm offset wheels with 195/50/15 tyres and it tramlined badly,so bad as to make me change my wheels!!

I have these wheels. I didn't notice till i took the wheels off and read the ET number on them. What does tramlining mean? Mine seem fine?

red_devil
22-04-03, 02:37 PM
what does everyone mean by tramlining..... is it the same as white lining when you get on a white line on the edge of road or something.... yes mine does that in the wet but nothing more than my 16s with 45 offset with NO spacers... i have have cars with wide wheels from day one and i suppose its something i just compensate for.... i do have to use alot of opposite lock in the wet and thats why i've got a small steering wheel.

Aragorn
22-04-03, 02:48 PM
hrm it means the car will get stuck it the grooves and gulleys of the road and try to follow them

fitting wide wheels will cause it just the same as wider offset

using a 15x6.5" wheel at ET49 as a baseline:-

the 15x7's on ET45 will stick out 4mm more than the ET49 wheel and ~6.3mm more than 6.5J wheel on top giving a total of 10.25mm a side wider track

the 15x6.5" on ET38 will stick out 11mm more due to the offset and none due to the width

so the track on both sets of wheels will be very similar - same goes for 17's that are 7" wide (most of them i think)

Nova-Boy
22-04-03, 02:51 PM
I have never noticed it before but I bet i will now every time i find a groove! :x