PDA

View Full Version : revs holding at 2000 rpm's on my gte???

tim jones
01-04-10, 08:00 PM
today my nove gte has been holding revs at 2000 and even up to 3000rpm's,tap the accelerator and it comes back down to normal,ive removed the rubber inlet pipe and cleaned the metal flap inside the inlet thinking it could be that not closing fully,if anyone has any ideas what it could be i'd appreciate it,thanks.

total_vauxhall
01-04-10, 08:03 PM
daft but are you sure it aint just the cable spliting and gettin stuck some times if you have checked this not to worry.

tim jones
01-04-10, 08:07 PM
[quote=total_vauxhall]daft but are you sure it aint just the cable spliting and gettin stuck some times if you have checked this not to worry.[/quote have done mate but thanks for the reply:) its doin my head in and only been doin it today lol

Novaboyleon
01-04-10, 09:32 PM
throttle position sensor

tim jones
01-04-10, 11:20 PM
throttle position sensor is that the black square thing thats screwed to the back of the inlet housing?? if that makes sense to you,thanks for the reply mate just want it sorted soon as :)

craig green
01-04-10, 11:27 PM
is that the black square thing thats screwed to the back of the inlet housing?? if that makes sense to you,thanks for the reply mate just want it sorted soon as :)

No one mentioned ICV?

Assuming the throttle is on its stop at idle, the TPS should click as you open the throttle, pretty much instantly. If it does, dont touch it.

The ICV is mounted on the back of the cam housing, where a carb's mechanical fuel pump would be. Try & remove it & spray carb cleaner or brake cleaner through it & reemove any gunk built up in it.

See how it goes then. Next check would be an air leak somewhere. They usually ran badly with a hole in the inlet pipe (after the AFM) but with the engine running, spray brake or carb cleaner again, around the base of inlet & cyl head. If any gets drawn in the engine note will change. :thumb:

tim jones
01-04-10, 11:46 PM
thanks for that info craig will try what u said and see if i can solve the problem:)

bazil
01-04-10, 11:54 PM
I had a similar issue with my e16se but the revs would rise to 2 or 3k and hold then drop to idle then rev again, it was a poor earth and poor co mixture.

tim jones
02-04-10, 12:18 AM
[quote=bazil]I had a similar issue with my e16se but the revs would rise to 2 or 3k and hold then drop to idle then rev again, it was a poor earth and poor co mixture.[/quote,what sorted your problem mate?

craig green
02-04-10, 12:18 AM
/\ this man speaks sense also.

craig green
02-04-10, 12:19 AM
Make sure the gearbox earth strap isnt crumbling to bits.
C0 level is set at a garage/mot station with a gas analyzer.

bazil
02-04-10, 12:29 AM
Yip Craig, new gearbox earth srap and it was mounted to the gearbox mount on chassis leg so it was fresh metal, the earth at the icv was looped to the battery earth and the co,s set buy a profesional dude, total cost was 210 for half a shift, I threw 2 afm's and 3 ecu's and countless sensors plugs dizzy caps etc at it for about a year then a guy fixes it in 4 hours! Best money I ever spent on my car.

Oh I took it to vauxhall and they turned me away so it went to my local bosch agent in paisly ( then I found out it's got a seimans brain and Lucas dizzy lol ).

tim jones
02-04-10, 12:31 AM
Make sure the gearbox earth strap isnt crumbling to bits.
C0 level is set at a garage/mot station with a gas analyzer. ive had the earth starp replaced mate,but if i have no joy myself tomorow,will take her to a garage,thanks for your help craig:)

tim jones
02-04-10, 12:41 AM
Yip Craig, new gearbox earth srap and it was mounted to the gearbox mount on chassis leg so it was fresh metal, the earth at the icv was looped to the battery earth and the co,s set buy a profesional dude, total cost was 210 for half a shift, I threw 2 afm's and 3 ecu's and countless sensors plugs dizzy caps etc at it for about a year then a guy fixes it in 4 hours! Best money I ever spent on my car.

Oh I took it to vauxhall and they turned me away so it went to my local bosch agent in paisly ( then I found out it's got a seimans brain and Lucas dizzy lol ). thanks for your help to mate not the best when it comes to stuff like this lol

Southie
02-04-10, 12:51 AM
I know it sounds silly but is your mat catching under the pedal, the other things mentioned are more likely but you never know if you don't ask.

tim jones
02-04-10, 12:59 AM
I know it sounds silly but is your mat catching under the pedal, the other things mentioned are more likely but you never know if you don't ask. matts not catching southie but thats for your reply think i'm better off taking it to my mates garage tomorow he will sort it for me.

bazil
02-04-10, 01:16 AM
Have you checked to idle screw isn't to far in? It can result in a steady fast idle, but I can't remember how high it goes on rpm, but it gives fast idle.

craig green
02-04-10, 01:24 AM
If it was running OK then suddenly develops this fault, its not likely a throttle stop screw or moved TPS is at fault. Something has happened somewhere, like a split pipe or blockage etc.

I've had some faults with an E16 but never a high idle.

tim jones
16-04-10, 12:12 AM
had the co level checked today and its fine!! think it mite be the inlet gasket maybe! thanks for your help guys ;)