PDA

View Full Version : are nova tie bars sided?

yayoboy
31-03-10, 01:41 PM
as title they dont look it but just wanna be sure, also are the two ball joint bolts normally a pain 2 go in through the tie and the arm!

mowgli
31-03-10, 01:50 PM
don't think so & no.

AlexW
31-03-10, 02:03 PM
Colin Smith said they were sided where the go onto the lower arm.

Im not so sure, would be nice to be proven wrong though.

Bolts were a pain with mine due to the paint.

yayoboy
31-03-10, 02:08 PM
its just that iv had some new bottom arms from vaux spares in bromsgrove, and my originals, the bolts are fidly 2 get in but they do go, but there new ones are half a hole out

yayoboy
31-03-10, 03:29 PM
ok, to get the new arms on, i had to slacken the tie bar, thenfit the arm/ball joint to it, then wind the tie bar bolt back on (wasnt tight winding the nut on so didnt stress it)? nothing appears bent on the tie bar, and obviously the arm and ball joints are brand new. going back to the handed issue, the tie bar, where it bolts to the arm, has a 'knurled' face and a 'smooth' face where the bolts go through. the one fitted to my passenger side has the knurled face facing upwards, and the smooth face meets the arm, is that right?

mayhem
31-03-10, 03:47 PM
i have them the other way around, smooth side up.

that's the way i removed them from my old gsi, but the previous owner XE'd it, so he could have been wrong aswell.

time to let someone with a OEM nova have a look at it.

yayoboy
31-03-10, 03:55 PM
ok, thanks mayhem, come one standard nova peeps!

yayoboy
31-03-10, 10:01 PM
any one have any idea?

craig green
31-03-10, 10:13 PM
I wiould put the knurled face in contact with the TCA (bottom arm) myself. Helps stop any movement assuming the bolts are nice & tight. It shouldnt make too much difference tbh. But that area is easiest to assemble with all the bolts slack.

yayoboy
31-03-10, 10:20 PM
ok ill swap them round tomorrow, is that normal to have to wind the tie bar out to get the bolts in? it all looks straight once pulled in just seems a bit extreme to have to get bolts in?

mk1nova_rich
31-03-10, 11:08 PM
yes slacken the 22mm tie bar retaining nut - that wants to be the last nut that is tightened up when fitting the suspension components. The bolts can be a bit fiddly as you have to line up the TCA, tie bar and ball joint to get them through but shouldnt be too difficult.

yayoboy
31-03-10, 11:15 PM
yeah, thanks for that matey, like you say, once i slackened the 22mm nut, everything lined up perfectly! just wanted you lot to say 'yeah thats how your meant to do it' lol

mk1nova_rich
31-03-10, 11:18 PM
don't worry, we all have to start somewhere lol

yayoboy
31-03-10, 11:23 PM
check my project, i dont think im doing too bad, just wanted to be sure im doing it the correct way, rather than just throwing them on a thinking theyll be alright lol, cheers

mk1nova_rich
31-03-10, 11:33 PM
will do mate, mine are a bugger cos i had my TCAs plated and one of the plates if slightly out and socket is hard to get in to tighten the bolts

yayoboy
31-03-10, 11:39 PM
yeah my old ones are plated but im gonna plate these ones tomorrow if i can fine some flat bar locally, get the grinder out that'll cure gettin your socket in!

mk1nova_rich
31-03-10, 11:40 PM
so does a hammer lol just had a quick look at your car mate, looks tidy

yayoboy
01-04-10, 12:17 AM
lol! Cheers its gettin there slowly