PDA

View Full Version : Arrgh! WTF is wrong with my filler neck!?

Will F
31-03-10, 08:29 AM
Having just gotten the saloon on teh road, I have realised that it takes around 15 minutes to fill her up with fuel!!

I am assuming that something is blocked somewhere in the filler neck, as it just sprays out, unless you trickle it in - which takes FOREVER!!

I was going to rip it all out over the weekend for a butchers, but just wanted to check if anyone else had experienced this?

:)

peester
31-03-10, 08:34 AM
dead wierd that..

must be some padding/insulation/spongey type stuff maybe..?

Graeme
31-03-10, 08:36 AM
Check that the breather pipe that runs of the filler neck to the top of the tank isn't blocked or kinked, I had a similar problem a few years back

djshaggeh
31-03-10, 08:40 AM
I've had this problem. I never realized how bad it was until it spat petrol back out the filler to on to my leg which sucked lol.

The breather had worn through and the previous owner had blocked it with a bolt. You can have a look in the wheel arch. As said it probobly kinked/****ed. I repaired mine using an air line coupling and some airline. It worked a treat.

Will F
31-03-10, 04:24 PM
Same as me - it shot EVERYWHERE lol

Cheers, I will check the breather then - if it stops raining, I will do it tonight! ;)

Jon_nova1
31-03-10, 04:28 PM
all nova's have a problem with filling up, i took the flap out of my old one so i could get a full tank quicker instead of getting continual clicking, but sounds like your breathers blocked

bmw156
31-03-10, 05:29 PM
my breather was split on the nova, but it never stopped me filling up fine.

it only used to leak if i filled up over 30 quid and it would come up the filler neck.

if it was me, stick something down your filler neck to see if there are any blockages

bazil
31-03-10, 05:34 PM
is there not a anti syphon thing at the entrance to the tank? my gsi had one.

spanishfly
04-04-10, 08:36 AM
I put a big **** breather on mine, problem is I can now overfill my tank...i've only done that once though lol

Adam
04-04-10, 10:59 AM
all nova's have a problem with filling up, i took the flap out of my old one so i could get a full tank quicker instead of getting continual clicking, but sounds like your breathers blocked
How do they? Mine dont lol

Will, it will be a problem with the breathers. One is blocked somewhere meaning the air in the tank cant escape to be replaced with the fuel you are putting in....
Either that or the neck itself is blocked somewhere.

BMW156-The split breather would let you fill the tank up quicker! ;)

Benn
04-04-10, 11:12 AM
If the breather pipe is block/torn then you'll have a prob. Not every Nova suffers with it.

Mine did and it would take about 15 mins to put 20quid in. Then it started leaking out the bottom.. Thought it was cause i moved the filler.

It wasn't. It was all down to the breather being blocked and then ripped in half. Soi it would fill my rear quarter up with fuel till it poured out..

Mike
04-04-10, 11:23 AM
Definetly the breather pipe is kinked & it creates an air lock. Happens all the time when you remove/refit a Nova fuel tank as the cotton braided breather hose runs through the chassis in the most stupid way!

Edd
04-04-10, 12:03 PM
Never had a problem with the breather,

but I have had trouble with the ball/float sticking in the tank which is in the pipe that the filler neck goes onto, maybe look at that also ?

daverobson
04-04-10, 12:22 PM

mine fine lol

MattBrown
04-04-10, 12:26 PM
Having just gotten the saloon on teh road, I have realised that it takes around 15 minutes to fill her up with fuel!!

I am assuming that something is blocked somewhere in the filler neck, as it just sprays out, unless you trickle it in - which takes FOREVER!!

I was going to rip it all out over the weekend for a butchers, but just wanted to check if anyone else had experienced this?

:)

I have the same WILLF, Its because on mine, the 2 breathers on the top are blanked off, and there is a breather in the filler neck.

So when you fill up, it fills the neck up, then pours out of the top hole in it.

Whip the tank off, and run a new pipe from the breather to the top of the tank.

craig green
04-04-10, 12:31 PM
It'll be the breather pipe that runs upto the top of the filler neck. Where its fitted to the tank, the std OE braided pipoe is moulded with a 90deg on it. If you have replaced this, chances are the tank is kinking it flat where its bolted upto the floorpan, hencer causing the air lock mentioned.

Will F
04-04-10, 09:55 PM
Ok - so I fitted the injection tank and new breather pipe and ITS EVEN WORSE!! To the point where they switched the pump off at the petrol station after 10 mins (and £4), cos they thought I was up to something!!!!lol

I did struggle with the stoopid breather pipe and it wasnt the orig one with a 90 degree bend... So what now?

Can I re-route it? Its the most rediculous design in the world!

Novasport
04-04-10, 10:03 PM
Poss the ping pong ball thing at the bottom of the filler neck. Not sure if its an anti-syphon or a filling stop device. It sits in a plastic push in cage at the inlet pipe on the tank.

Part number 3 in this EPC diagram...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/NovaSport/Image1.jpg

Joe Richardson
04-04-10, 10:37 PM
I have this problem on the SR,really stupid,i have spat fuel all down me leg before aswell:mad:

craig green
05-04-10, 12:07 AM
I did struggle with the stoopid breather pipe and it wasnt the orig one with a 90 degree bend... So what now?

Can I re-route it? Its the most rediculous design in the world!

I put a small 90deg copper bend & a 1" peice of hose to the tank to re-create the 90deg bend., It worked. rarely the claw/ball thing IME.

MattBrown
05-04-10, 01:17 AM
Try putting a piece of coat hanger wire, or something down, to poke the ball out of the way!

Nova_Tek
05-04-10, 01:24 AM
Does sound like a breather pipe issue, most probably blocked. My nova filled up very quick. I could open the pump to deliver fuel at full pelt and it would never click off only one becoming full.