PDA

View Full Version : New Vinyl

cornish
20-04-03, 12:24 PM
I'm just about to have my GSi resprayed, but all the vinyl's got to come off first (tailgate and B pillars)

When its done i wanna put some new vinyl on, can i just buy it from Vauxhall? Any ideas of prices? Is it easy to fit?

Cheers :)

ollster
20-04-03, 12:36 PM
its not cheap at all, i have got the vynal for the bottom of the passenger door and rear quarter sat in my loft and it cost about ?40 for those bits. I decided aganst putting it back on in the end

http://mysite.freeserve.com/Oliver_Hewitt/Front.jpg

Ian_Gsi16v
20-04-03, 02:36 PM
I bought the vynal for the door part of the pillar and it cost me about a fiver from vaux

ade
21-04-03, 03:04 PM
olly's car looks sweet with vynal off - I've kept mine devynalled except the B pillar

ollster
21-04-03, 10:49 PM
cheers for the compliment ade, i was considering putting the vynal back on the b pillars on mine, but it seems to work so well without it. I think if you have got a GSI kit on like youself it will look better with it on.

Jules
22-04-03, 01:40 AM
When I had my GSi restored the bdyshop siad that it's tricky to get the vinyl on the car (The B pillars in particular), so I asked him to mask it off and spray the areas that are normally vinylled with a metallic grey (Which matches my Softstars). Looks good and I just wish that I'd de-vinylled the tailgate and got him to do that aswell.

Anyway, my first post here so "Hi" to those that know me (There are a few names I'm familar with) and "hi" to those that don't know me.

Jules
jules@novaowners.org

mikeoxford
22-04-03, 02:10 AM
Anyway, my first post here so "Hi" to those that know me (There are a few names I'm familar with) and "hi" to those that don't know me.

Jules
jules@novaowners.org

remember me?

i used to bend your ear most nites on email

Jules
22-04-03, 02:29 AM
Yes m8 - I remember you!!!
God the hassle I used to get off this boy for pictures of my headlights!! tsk tsk tsk - You should be ashamed of yourself!!!
:wink:

mikeoxford
22-04-03, 02:33 AM
Yes m8 - I remember you!!!
God the hassle I used to get off this boy for pictures of my headlights!! tsk tsk tsk - You should be ashamed of yourself!!!

WTF!?

tut
lol

Jules
22-04-03, 02:45 AM
*cough* headlight washers *cough*
Or was that someone else!?!
LOL!!

mikeoxford
22-04-03, 03:15 AM
*cough* headlight washers *cough*
Or was that someone else!?!
LOL!!

:lol: still got the pics

havent done the mod!!!!!!!!

bought all the bits necessary to do it then decided against it, and did it on my mates nova for him!!!

Jules
22-04-03, 03:18 AM
All that hasslin' me and you didn't do it?
Now you really should be ashamed of yourself!!!
:oops:

Nova-Boy
22-04-03, 08:59 AM
Keep the vynl off looks much better. ollster has shown a perfect example! Dont waste money on putting it on when most people want to rip theirs off.

Jules
22-04-03, 01:04 PM
Some people think it looks better (And that car above looks mint without it) where as some people (like myself) think that a GSi should have the GSi character (GSi bumpers, skirts, grille and yes - vinyl).
Depends on what you're after, if you want your GSi to stay close(ish) to what Vauxhall intended then keep it, if you want a more custom look then lose it, but remember something, the vinyl is something that is nearly always overlooked (along with a black dash) when people make a GSi replica from a 1.2 (for example).
At the end of the day if you don't want it, don't have it!!!

Nova-Boy
22-04-03, 01:15 PM
Fair point. Forgetting about how vauxhall wanted it or if you really want an exact standard GSI or look-a-like, it just seems like a lot of money to pay for something thats not needed or looks good without it.

Anton
22-04-03, 01:54 PM
Jules, you ever in Colchester?

Jules
22-04-03, 01:56 PM
Not really, haven't been to Colchester for ages, too busy working and buying houses!!!

Cjscooby
22-04-03, 10:36 PM
I am in the middle of rippin my vynal off now an defo not havin it back think it makes the car look dirty when you have just slaved over it washin an polishin it but each to there own !!

novaexplod
22-04-03, 11:16 PM
devinyled the b pillars simply becos it ripped off with a jet wash, how did u lot get it off, cos it were a pain doin it? and the glue behind it? how du go bout gettin the bottom of the door vinyl off? wots behind it all? :wink:

ollster
22-04-03, 11:33 PM
You need to use a heat gun on a low setting to peel the vynal off, then use white spirits or similar to cleant the glue off. Another good reason for getting rid of the vynal is that its a water trap and just harbours rust if you not carefull. Luckily when i did mine there was not rust behind the vynal, but the paint was a different colour though as the exposed paint had faded.
http://mysite.freeserve.com/Oliver_Hewitt/NewPics/Contor.jpg

Jules
23-04-03, 02:49 AM
I agree with that last comment 100%, the vinyl that was put along the bottoms of the doors / rear panels can cause big headaches if water gets behind it simply because the water can't get out and it rots your doors from the inside. If your Nova has this then take it off1) because it's nasty, and 2) because ALL novas look better without that vinyl on!!
:o

burgessovsalford
23-04-03, 11:12 AM
OLLSTER

How did you get your car soooooo shiny?? Have you have it resprayed or just gone mad with polish? Not matter how hard I try I can never get that finish on my car :(

mikeoxford
23-04-03, 12:24 PM
olly owns a franchise for auto glym, or so it would seem in his garage and his boot!!!

jokes asside he is always polishing his car and does the job properley, and also it had had a respray at that point i believe in that pic.

although its just come back out the spray shop again :o

burgessovsalford
23-04-03, 03:54 PM
Your telling me he does a good job! Thats the shiny'est nova Ive ever seen anyway!! even the windows look like are polished! :lol:

ollster
23-04-03, 04:31 PM
lol cheers guys, the franchise in autoglym does help :wink:, ive just discovered autoglym's extra gloss aswell its ridiculous, the shine is amazin, 10 times better than in those pics, anybody goin to the pv show will see what i mean.

burgessovsalford
24-04-03, 04:05 PM
I think il have to invest in some of that autogym extra gloss... :wink:

Cjscooby
24-04-03, 04:08 PM
Extra Gloss is good stuff!!! :eggface:

cornish
26-04-03, 01:43 PM
All valid points, thanks for the input :)

Olly's car definately looks good, but when you look at Ross's GSi with the vinyl, its easily just as nice.

http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/572big6.jpg

(Hope you don't mind me using your pics :) )

GSi's dont have the vinyl down the sides like the SR's, just the B-pillars and the boot, i think i'm going to keep it!