PDA

View Full Version : how do i get a logbook for this car??

grooge
29-03-10, 03:45 PM
right this might seem like a stupid question but I've just got a car off of a mate. It used to be his grandads and has been off the road for a few years as his grandad died and he doesnt drive. He has a V5 for it but its still in his grandads name, so obviously his grandad wont be able to sign it over to me. how do I go about getting the car into my name, and will it take any longer than usual? cheers:thumb:

NOVA_LEE
29-03-10, 03:46 PM
id preume ud just have to apply for a new log book?? best ring dvla an question them?

draper
29-03-10, 03:47 PM
if you have the logbook just sign it in his grandads name

if not you have to fill in a form (v62 iirc) then they'll write to the original owner (his grandad) and ask if he still has the car, if no response in 6weeks (which there obvisouly wont be) then you get a new logbook in your name

brainsnova
29-03-10, 03:47 PM
i think your best phoning the dvla or add a short letter signed but someone with the same surname as his grandad.

NovaLad
29-03-10, 03:48 PM
The car will be passed down to whoever it's meant to go to in his will or next of kinn so i'd go talk to them and let them forge it if they wish to do so.

Jack
29-03-10, 03:52 PM
Complete this (http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067819.pdf) form, send to DVLA and let them do the rest.

grooge
29-03-10, 03:52 PM
i'll phone the dvla tomorrow then as I'm working just now. If its going to be a 6 week wait then I think I'll forge the signature as I'm in a bit of a rush to get it in my name and sold. i'll ask his family but I'm sure they won't mind.
cheers guys

grooge
29-03-10, 03:54 PM
Complete this (http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067819.pdf) form, send to DVLA and let them do the rest.

replyed to soon!
I'll fill this in and get it sent away. cheers

Ben
29-03-10, 04:03 PM
I would just fill in the current v5 and dont sign it, they will issue a new one.

brainsnova
29-03-10, 04:33 PM
last time my mate sent an unsigned one it got returned to him and he had to sign it then sent it back.

Spudly
29-03-10, 07:27 PM
Sign both sides of it (buyer and seller) and send, its what we always do at work:thumb:

brainsnova
29-03-10, 07:28 PM
Sign both sides of it (buyer and seller) and send, its what we always do at work:thumb:

better back date it then lol or do you mean buyers signature in both?

Ben
29-03-10, 08:20 PM
lol just scribble on it, i have signed unsigned cheques and had them cashed before/

grooge
29-03-10, 10:47 PM

you mean my signature in both or forge his grandads signature for his part?

nova-taken
30-03-10, 05:30 AM
ive sent a V5 off in my name before remembering i had to sign it, and still got issued a new logbook!

must depend how the DVLA feel at the time. But then again, their a$$holes at the best of times lol

CoolTiger
30-03-10, 07:16 PM
get the new keepers slip off log book fill it out in ur name address get v62 form fill that in stable the new keepers slip (v5c iirc) to it then you dont have to pay the £25 charge they dont ring anybody ect ect :)