PDA

View Full Version : 1.2i power!

blingmachine
19-04-03, 11:56 PM
i nearly had a hart attack when i found that my 1.2i only had 45bhp which is the same as regular one leaters.
i'm looking to up this, i already orderd a cotton green induction kit and am looking to get a full magnex system. Are there any othere mods that i can do to enhance performance as i wanna keep the same engine.
superchip?
new cams?

Whats the stock top speed for a 1.2i? i've done 109mph but that was done a f*uckin huge hill

Snowface
20-04-03, 09:37 AM
take out the catalytic converter and it'll give you an extra 10-15bhp. u will hgave to put it back in for its MOT though otherwise it'll fail.

blingmachine
20-04-03, 12:25 PM
10-15bhp fuck me :D
how the hell do you doit though?
also won't i get raped by the pigs if i get pulled on an emissions test :cry:

would a high flow decat manifold give similar gains, i was thinkin og gettin one?

Nova-Flair
20-04-03, 01:50 PM
10-15bhp? u sure? thats quite a big gain. they hard to put back on??? i was thinking bout doing this mod

jatinder
20-04-03, 02:33 PM
10-15 !!!!!!!! when i took mine off my sri i didnt feel like an extra 10-15bhp more like 1-5 bhp

Chris LR
20-04-03, 03:51 PM
Yes Jatinder your nearer the mark.

Snowface
20-04-03, 04:27 PM
i thought the 1.2i standard bhp 45bhp. the earlier carb'd are 55bhp. my m8 has taken his off and got 10-15 more. How much bhp would you gain from an induction kit? Cause he's got one on aswell. maybe that bumped it up.

blingmachine
20-04-03, 05:32 PM
how the hell do you de-cat it then?

Nova-Flair
20-04-03, 06:14 PM
take the cat off and put either a silencer or a straight through pipe donated from an earlier nova, which didnt have a cat, in its place. but as mentioned before chances are you will fail an MOT without the cat

thai
20-04-03, 06:17 PM
you can by becat pipe from most exhaust manufactures.
but if your car is pre 1991 you dont leagely need a cat for the mot so as long as you can get the emissions down enought you are ok

Aragorn
20-04-03, 06:41 PM
right this is what u wanna do:

if u use the following carbed 1200 parts you'll be making the same 55bhp as the carbed engine: cam, head, exhaust system

the spi cam is milder, the head is very restrictive and the exhaust has the cat

if u want more than standard 1200 carb power then u need to take the following route:

SRi exhaust manifold and downpipe (not SR or GTE as they dont have a facility for the lambda probe which is ESSENSIAL for tuning this engine)
GTE center exhaust section
SR/SRi/GTE/GSi camshaft
1200 carb head with the inlet manifold ported out to match and possibly skimmed to raise the compression a nice amount
an SPi injector from a 1.4 SPi nova or corsa

with that lot you'd be looking at about 60-70bhp depending on how far u go - full head working and a real fast road cam and your gonna be looking at a very nice increase - u might even wanna look into taking the SPi unit from a 1.6 or 1.8 cavvy and modifing your inlet manifold for it to fit

a word of warning tho - DO NOT remove the lambda - the end result WILL be melted pistons especially if your going quite far with the mods since the ECU wont be putting anywhere near enough fuel in

Chris LR
20-04-03, 07:11 PM
Or, if insurance and Funds allow, slap in a 1.4 of some sort

blingmachine
20-04-03, 10:58 PM
ok so what if i run a new highflow de-cat manifold, won't that be more effective than one of an SRi, and still be road legal?
i really wanna use new stuff instead of going down the scrappy (last resort) so i was thinkin of going for either piper or kent cams (fast road)

i plan on getting a superchip, with the rest of the mods you suggested plus induction kit wont i be nearing 90-100BHP :twisted:

with these mods would it be possible to use a power boost valve

mikeoxford
20-04-03, 11:08 PM
ok so what if i run a new highflow de-cat manifold, won't that be more effective than one of an SRi, and still be road legal?
i really wanna use new stuff instead of going down the scrappy (last resort) so i was thinkin of going for either piper or kent cams (fast road)

i plan on getting a superchip, with the rest of the mods you suggested plus induction kit wont i be nearing 90-100BHP :twisted:

with these mods would it be possible to use a power boost valve

power boost valves are for injection engines............. (correct me if im wrong)

and i think 100BHP is a bit overated for a 1200 - or do you mean at the flywheel rather than the wheels?

Aragorn
20-04-03, 11:51 PM
first off u cant chip the multec ecu in the 1200i

your ideas will work better than the SRi stuff

but as i stated you WILL need to ensure the lambda probe has somewhere to go in your new manifold

if your getting a full exhaust system then get a GTE system and a manifold for the SRi that way u keep the lambda and dont need to fart around with decat pipes

the fast road cam will work fine

the head is the only real sticking point

either spend some cash getting the standard one worked, or get a 1200 carb head which has bigger ports to begin with

getting a custom made inlet manifold would be a very nice way of boosting performance too since its very restrictive and you could get one made to match up with the ports on the 1200 carb head

if the car is pre-K reg u wont have ANY issues with the cat

most garages wont even check the K reg cars for the cat test either

Fester
21-04-03, 12:35 AM
its honestly at the point where you would be better off putting a 1400/1600 (in mk3 cav small block carbed 90bhp guise if required?!) in there, as you would be spending way over even what it would be to get a local garage to put one in, buying everything new as stated

blingmachine
21-04-03, 01:37 AM
i gotta keep the same engine for insurance reasons, but i did a bit of searching on ebay and found a head set for a carb 1200
would this do? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10404&item=2411364472&rd=1

Aragorn
21-04-03, 11:28 AM
thing is fester - most of the stuff is easily transferable to another engine anyway, the zorst and cam which are the main costly things will happily drop into a 1400 or 1600 at a later date - the only unusable parts really are the head and injector - both of which are relativley cheap

as for that ebay link - its a gasket set not the actual head - and i would also advise against anything other then the original GM head gasket

ask around - put up a post specifically looking for a 1200 carb head and look thru the for sale section
might even be an idea to phone someone like dixons vauxhall spares or just novas but ive no idea what either of those / or other companies like em are like

Nova-Boy
22-04-03, 09:46 AM
Could you not just change to a carb and de-cat to get to the 55bhp of a standard 1.2?

That or use a muti point injection system of a 1.4 and de-cat? That would be more than a standard carbed 1.2??