PDA

View Full Version : Esso / BP boycott

Lee
28-03-10, 07:39 PM
Anyone heard about this? The general idea is to just stop buying fuel from Esso/BP for the next year, which should technically force them to drop their prices.

its a much better idea than just stopping buying fuel altogether as thast hurts us more than it hurts them.

Would this work do we think? im always skeptical about things like this, for a start, which supermarkets to BP/Esso supply?, as you would have to boycott those as well.

Thoughts?

Stuart
28-03-10, 07:40 PM
It wont work...

Lee
28-03-10, 07:41 PM
It wont work...

Wont work because youll never get the typical bristish public to actually unite behind the idea, or wont work for some other reason?

Andy
28-03-10, 07:45 PM
I'd love to think it would work and people would stick to it,but anyway it could become bad if your on a motorway or whatever and are running on fumes and one of said garages is the only one available for 20 miles lol

bazil
28-03-10, 07:46 PM
wont work, BP own the biggest petrol refinary in scotland iirc so guess where the fuel comes from for all the supermarkets?

mowgli
28-03-10, 07:48 PM
wont work, BP own the biggest petrol refinary in scotland iirc so guess where the fuel comes from for all the supermarkets?

from russia like most of the cheap fuel in this country.....

a huge amount of north sea oil goes elsewhere & we get the crap........

Rexy
28-03-10, 07:51 PM
I dont care i use shell, So do as you please. . . :D

brucer
28-03-10, 07:53 PM
There was an email circulating last year with this boycott. Dont know if it helped tbh.

mowgli
28-03-10, 07:54 PM
I dont care i use shell, So do as you please. . . :D

bp & shell do a hell of a lot of business with each other

muzzy
28-03-10, 07:59 PM
My mum works for BP so wouldn't want them laying people off lol

BP have far too many contracts for it to bother them that a few hundred people are boycotting buying fuel directly from them, if EVERYONE was to boycott then yes it could make a difference but people would much prefer to moan about things than make an effort to help change them.

Lee
28-03-10, 08:04 PM
if EVERYONE was to boycott then yes it could make a difference but people would much prefer to moan about things than make an effort to help change them.

Thats exactly what pees me off about this country

bmw156
28-03-10, 08:05 PM
IMO there are a far larger group of people that NEED petrol for everyday working needs and people who use cars as a mode of transport and not a status symbol.

it would never work tbh. it is such big thing most people need in one way or the other and the government knows it lol. im surprised they haven't started charging us for breathing, or receiving sunlight.

muzzy
28-03-10, 08:15 PM
The hardest part about a boycott like this is for it to be effective you have to completely boycott they're products, with a company like BP that means you have to avoid certain airlines etc because they all use BP for they're aviation fuel. IMO it would be a massive struggle to boycott them properly so that they would actually care enough to lower they're prices.

General Baxter
28-03-10, 08:21 PM
this wont help, its not pb/esso's fault its sky high

dhdev (Oli)
28-03-10, 08:37 PM
True that

MattBrown
28-03-10, 08:40 PM
Anyone heard about this? The general idea is to just stop buying fuel from Esso/BP for the next year, which should technically force them to drop their prices.

its a much better idea than just stopping buying fuel altogether as thast hurts us more than it hurts them.

Would this work do we think? im always skeptical about things like this, for a start, which supermarkets to BP/Esso supply?, as you would have to boycott those as well.

Thoughts?

Seeing as the whole of the NW is shell from stanlow, and the south it fromm Esso Forley, etc etc,

Its made whereever, and sold to who'ever.

My Dad works in stanlow, he says its sold to everyone in the nw:thumb:

Stuart
28-03-10, 08:45 PM
was going to say, I bet if there is a BP depot in east anglia then shell wont fanny about getting fuel in from a depot much much further away, much like a BP station wouldnt fanny about getting fuel from a depot much much further away than a shell depot.

And even if it were a perfect world and we boycott Bp/Esso, they would simply sell via other suppliers by going in silly cheap (to them of course).

Would love for it to work, but it simply wont. The most effective way of doing something would to be to buy electric vehicles and cease relying on petrol/derv (at the point of car use as I know we use fossil fuels for electricity)

Jack
28-03-10, 08:48 PM
Yes it is.

These things have been around for ages. Won't ever work, as said for the reasons in this thread.

grooge
28-03-10, 08:51 PM
from russia like most of the cheap fuel in this country.....

a huge amount of north sea oil goes elsewhere & we get the crap........

my dad is an engineer for the repairs on the east-west pipelines and most other fuel pipelines in and out of grangemouth (bp refinery) and I'm sure he told me that the north sea oil we're getting rid of is often worse than the stuff we're getting in....

mayhem
28-03-10, 08:53 PM
i cant, BP is the only one close to me with euro98,

the rest is all fuelsave and other expensive crap.

mowgli
28-03-10, 08:56 PM
the last big fuel blockade was great fun, but it did precisely sod all.

craig green
28-03-10, 08:59 PM
WW3 anyone?

Jon_nova1
28-03-10, 09:05 PM
The last fuel blockade did so something, if i remember correctly fuel was around 120P PL, this one has been going around for ages, it won't work, but everyone going for electric would, but we'd get taxed on something else instead!

Stuart
28-03-10, 09:09 PM
The last fuel blockade did so something, if i remember correctly fuel was around 120P PL, this one has been going around for ages, it won't work, but everyone going for electric would, but we'd get taxed on something else instead!

tbh I'd rather pay a ****ing great chunk of tax in one hit and 'everything' bar real bonafide luxuries to be tax free.

iirc doing blockades like the first ones is illegal now under the anti terrorism act lol

craig green
28-03-10, 09:10 PM
According to a friend of mine, China's gross fuel usage rose by 25% in January of this year alone!! Oil prices rise with demand anyway, so we are pretty much doomed if China continues to develop & grow like it is doing.

I'll keep going to sainsbury's for me nectar points. Regardless who supplies the fuel. lol

Andy
28-03-10, 09:13 PM
If i didnt like cars so much id like it all to just spontaneously combust

Jack
28-03-10, 09:24 PM
Nope, the last successful blockade was in 2000, when the price was threatening to hit £1 a litre. There have been "blockades" since then, but they have all failed due to the govt bringing in laws against it under all the terrorism bolloks. The last time fuel hit £1.20 a litre was in the run up to the recession, when oil hit $145 a barrel. Oil today is $80 a barrel.

We need biobutanol.

smcgsi16v
28-03-10, 09:30 PM
It won't work.

Because you'll only be able to get your nectar points at sainsburys. And there is more bp's than sainsbury's garages.

Bubba
28-03-10, 09:31 PM
cant we jus **** all over the forecourts?

craig green
28-03-10, 09:32 PM
It won't work.

Because you'll only be able to get your nectar points at sainsburys. And there is more bp's than sainsbury's garages.

Thing is it does work for me, I dont travel too far & have probably filled up at a sainsbury's for about 95% of my fuel in the last year. It paid for my Flat screen in the bedroom with points at Argos. WIN! :)

I think BP do nectar points dont they?? lol

MK999
28-03-10, 09:34 PM
I think BP do nectar points dont they?? lol

They do, it's why I got a shirt that said "No I don't have a ****ing nectar card" lol

mayhem
28-03-10, 09:49 PM
lets just move to dubai. fuel is 40 eurocent a liter there. and no tax over youre paycheck.

Ben
29-03-10, 12:33 AM
The money they earn a few million people not buying from them isnt going to hurt!

Its supply and demand and they have the supply.

dj_wudgey
29-03-10, 11:53 AM
yea i use shell all the time aswell closest to me lol

belmonty_daryl
29-03-10, 05:02 PM

apparently we pay 81p a litre tax to the government so really a blockade in paying our tax would be more beneficial but our 'perfect government' will still find a way to rip us off. it seems to me like its been forgotten how much of our money they were spending on goodies for their homes.

Jack
29-03-10, 06:03 PM
Simply getting the govt to drop the Tax on Tax rule on petrol (i.e. change it so we only pay VAT on the cost price, NOT the cost + duty) would shave a good 10p off the price straight away.

However, as said, why does the price of fuel steadily increase whilst the price of oil stays relatively stable around $80? Why do petroleum companies post massive quarter profits each year? Its not all just the government hiking the price up.