PDA

View Full Version : 2hr Progressive House Mix to Download

The Simps
27-03-10, 11:10 PM
Another installment for you, this time more progressive and 2hrs worth! (well 1min 50).

Enjoy

Dayzee Rascal - The Progressive One... (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4MLPPEIC)

Tracklisting

Strobe - Deadmau5
Disconnected - Shy Child
You & I - Medina
Sometimes I Feel - Dim Chris & Sebastien Drums
So High - Remaniax
The Roll - Kismet
Autumn Sun - DJ Tatana
Ghosts 'n' Stuff - Deadmau5 feat Rob Swire
Go - Dave Aude feat D'Still'D
You Can Have It All - Zoo Brazil feat Leah
Touch Me - Tom Novy
Millennium Balls - Passenger 10
Monza - Niels van Gogh & Daniel Strauss
Xelerate - Richard Durand
Gama - AN21 & Max Vangeli
Downpipe - Mark Knight & D Ramirez Vs Underworld
Baaly - Daniel Portman
Virtual Suicide - Daniel Portman
Sound Of Violence - Dennis de Laat
Brooklyn - Sebastian Krieg
Waves Of Change - Samantha James

:beer:

The Simps
28-03-10, 05:43 PM
Bump for the sunday nite crew!

vx kev
28-03-10, 06:17 PM
Cracking mix that mate, right into this sort of stuff the now :thumb:
Am more of a trance freak but must be mellowing out in my old age :d
Getting this slapped on the Ipod thats for sure...

wilson_sri
28-03-10, 06:33 PM
Good stuff, just downloaded. Will give it a proper listen when i get a chance!

Did you get the problems with your CDJs sorted?

The Simps
28-03-10, 10:24 PM
Cracking mix that mate, right into this sort of stuff the now :thumb:
Am more of a trance freak but must be mellowing out in my old age :d
Getting this slapped on the Ipod thats for sure...

Glad you like it! I was a trance head originally but have found myself more intoi progressive and tech these days. Can be very similar but at a more friendly bpm for my old legs! lol

The Simps
28-03-10, 10:26 PM
Good stuff, just downloaded. Will give it a proper listen when i get a chance!

Did you get the problems with your CDJs sorted?

Treated myself to Traktor Scratch Duo on Monday & arrived Tuesday. Awesome bit of kit. Been using the vinyl to play about with but just used the internal play & cue put through my mixer.

wilson_sri
28-03-10, 11:22 PM
Ahh perfect! I got traktor pro a few weeks ago. Ditched my cdjs and got 1210s. Never mixed with vinyl before so been a steep learning curve. Its definitely the way forward though.

The Simps
28-03-10, 11:27 PM
Didn't see the need to go pro personally but can see it happening as I explore the effects more.

I found the fact you can save cue points, loops etc awesome! Takes a bit of time sorting the beatgrids but well worth it. Its great not having to focus on the beatmatching and being able to work the mixer. I wanna get Traktors X1 Kontrol next so I can properly explore the effects.

Matt
28-03-10, 11:42 PM
So have you got Traktor set up to do all your beat sync'ing/ mixing and you basically add effects etc to the mix? I'm looking into getting Ableton Live to add another dimension to my setup but need to do a lot more research into the software to decide whether I'd actually find it useful or not!

The Simps
28-03-10, 11:51 PM
Traktor does the sync'ing/beatmatching to a point but still needs a tweek here n there. You still have to do the mixing. It has an auto crossfade option but its kack. I've got each deck plumbed into my mixer. I then mix the tracks, play the eq and Traktor has an effects bank for each deck. You can even have 3 effects running simultaneously on one deck.

Don't know much about ableton personally - isn't it more production software rather than mixing?

Whats your current setup Matt?

Matt
29-03-10, 12:15 AM
Ahh OK, so there is still a live mixing element to it. Kind of defeats the point of DJing otherwise I think, although I understand how some pro DJ's do justify using such software to allow them to be more creative in other areas but still kinda takes away the 'human' side of DJing a bit too much for my liking tbh.

I'm still not sure about Ableton because as you say it does seem a bit too much of a production type software but obviously lots of DJ's do use it in their setups so I think it's just a case of knowing how to incorporate it.

I currently have a pair of CDJ1000 Mk3's and a DJM600. Looking to get a DJM800 soon though hopefully. Just seeing how all DJ's nowadays seem to have a laptop as part of their set makes me feel like I'm seriously missing out on something but I can't quite work out what!

The Simps
29-03-10, 12:29 AM
Having a laptop setup means you haven't got to carry a cd wallet around! It also gives you another dimension to work your set.

I know what you're saying about "cheating" but its not as if we can't beatmatch, christ I've proved myself enough times. One mix I was working between a CDJ & windows media player meaning I had ability to adjust the tempo on one deck and wmp isn't exactly quick off the mark for cueing! Did you learn on vinyl or cdj's? CDJs are a dam site easier than vinyl. With vinyl you have to constantly adjust it, CDJs can be fairly accurate. The more you touch the deck the less your on the mixer/eq.

If a DJ just sits behind their laptop it is boring, thats where the time coded side comes in as its a little more interactive. Also, the new range of effects units make great viewing too. Check this dude out!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2wdGEYGYvI

He's using Traktor Scratch Pro and 2 effects units. At the start he's just hot cueing through 2 tracks.

Nice setup you have there, setup I always wanted, but like wilson, I recognise where the future is. I'd like a DJM800 but am too used to a 4 band eq now and struggled on my previous mix on a DJM400.

Matt
29-03-10, 12:46 AM
I'm not saying it's cheating by any means, just I think it kinda takes the fun out of DJing and controlling everything through your fingers rather than clicking away on a laptop (although I know this is what DJ Controllers are designed to reduce). I often think I'd rather have a third CDJ and EFX1000 rather than laptop/ software as this is still a more hands-on approach to things IMO.

I did learn with 1210's but got rid of them a couple of years ago and moved onto CDJing (which is awesome). I don't think running crazy effects and other stuff like that would really suit the style of music I play anyway tbh, the idea of 'live re-mixing' appeals to me most with music software but still not sure how well that really works.

Each to their own though, no two DJ's are the same! Aslong as it works well for you it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks.

The Simps
29-03-10, 09:40 AM
I think you're right, DJing is about developing your own style, no point just copying someone else.

Going from the 1210s to CDJs was an evolutionary jump and there's still alot of haters/old skoolers out there who see CDJs as cheating. Lets be honest, on something like the Pioneers you match the BPMs and then slightly tweek. Its certainly easier and accessable to more people and quicker to learn than vinyl!

What kinda stuff do you play? Ever recorded any mixes? You played any club nights?

Southie
29-03-10, 09:52 AM
Downloading now, I'll get back to you at the end of the day on what I think. ;)

The Simps
29-03-10, 10:07 AM
:thumb:

Matt
29-03-10, 12:37 PM
What kinda stuff do you play? Ever recorded any mixes? You played any club nights?

I mainly like my deep, soulful/vocal house, so a pretty old-skool sound. I'm pretty much addicted to Defected Records!

I have made a couple of mixes in the past but they're lost on an old broken laptop somewhere! Just aquired one of these:

http://www.bigdiscountwarehouse.co.uk/images/5/aw1600_medium_jpg.jpg

(Digital Recorder) so gonna start putting a few mixes together again when I get some time! Hopefully with some decent sound quality.

I've played in a couple of bars a few times but never played any clubs. I just do it for fun really, don't see myself becoming a globe-trotting DJ or anything, just see it as a cool thing to be able to do if you're really into the music! T'is cool to put your own mixes together and put your own touch on stuff.

How long you been going? You play out often or is it just a hobby aswell?

Will try and have a lisen to your mix at some point...

The Simps
29-03-10, 01:28 PM
Like you its more of a hobby. Have played a couple of times, once in a club in the back room and once at a bar but turned down regular stuff as I just couldn't commit the time due to work.

I've been doing it a little over 3 years now and find its just something nice to go to every now & then. Every couple/three months I'll get an urge, download some tunes, put em together then I might not touch the decks again for another 2-3mths.

kevw
29-03-10, 02:30 PM
Downloading now Simps, will isten in a bit.

I actually dug out the CDJ's on Saturday night, not used them for a few months since moving things round at home.

It's strange to read people are going back to vinyl with the time-code stuff, I had the urge to dig out the turntables (that haven't been used for years) last week and ended up on HTFR buying 10 Tech House tunes ON VINYL! They only arrived today though so I'll be having some fun later :)

Anyone used/got M-Audio Torq? It's a lot cheaper than the others.

wilson_sri
29-03-10, 04:18 PM
I tend to stay away from the sync button on traktor! Seems to be heavily frowned upon on the club circuit. Which is a shame because i agree with what you say, leaves you more time on the mixer!

I got the Kontrol x1 at the same time as traktor simps, i couldn't recommend it more! Fabulous piece of kit. Means you don't have to mess about on the laptop, which can be a real pain. Make sure you get the case as well, i made that mistake and it wouldn't sit flush with my decks/mixer.

My current set up consists of 2x Technics 1210 mk5s, 2x Pioneer cdj 400, Pioneer DJM 800, Native instruments Kontrol x1 and Traktor scratch pro on macbook pro.
The djm 800 is making way for a Allen and heath xone 92 mixer. The sound quality and build is much better.

Also this is complete **** material! Was talking to a pioneer rep last weekend who said the effects on it is like a EFX 1000 on steroids!

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/press/news/DJM2000.html

kevw
29-03-10, 04:41 PM
DJM2000 looks awesome. Pricey though like all Pioneer stuff, I remember buying my 2 x 1000MK3's and thinking that I should really be using the money to whack on the mortgage or something lol

The 1000's are now discontinued with the CDJ900 being the replacement. All the new stuff seems to have the "ProDJ Link" and it all connects together using Ethernet! Mega!

I noticed the newer range seems to be pushing the price bracket up a notch, the top end CDJ (2000) is nearly £3k for 2!

I wonder how long it will be before we're leaving the record bags at home and accessing our music from "the cloud" with a username and password!

Paul
29-03-10, 04:51 PM
Listening now, liking it so far...

L14MNP
29-03-10, 05:10 PM
Just DL'd. Checking it out now mate, :thumb:

djshaggeh
29-03-10, 05:25 PM
I will download it when I get home Mr Simps. I'll Smash it out whilst playing some Bad Company 2 / Team Fortress tonight.

With regards to CDJs, vinyl is the true DJ's tool! Nah only kidding, each to their own!

The only live set I've ever heard with CDJs and laptop was an LTJ Bukem with Marcus Intalex in Manchester and to be frank it was poor to say the least. But on the other hand that was uplifting drum n bass (which I'm not to keen on) and there was a few stacked mixes in there. For me it doesn't seem to work. Which is probobly down to the music genre as it works with house etc.

Roll on Ram @ Matter this Friday, I'll be there having it large to Andy C!

The Simps
29-03-10, 07:02 PM
Pioneer stuff is dam expensive!

Wilson - you have a dream setup there! When I ordered traktor scratch the guy said I'd be wanting the X1 kontroller before long but I didn't even know what it was! A night watching vids on youtube and I want one! lol I'm also already craving the pro version as I have duo as I want the 4 decks so I can start sampling & layering.

I can see why sync is frowned upon on the scene but its just such a useful tool that saves so much time! It doesn't always work out the box either, I spent a whole evening just setting the beat grids on the tracks in this mix let alone the rest of the collection. Just being well prepared thats all! All it does is level the BPMs anyway - no different to matching them on 2 CDJs!! I think with DJing these days the skill isn't in beatmatching anymore, its how creative you get with your mixes, effects and of course track selection. A well put together set just mixed well with no effects can go down just as well as a set with loads of effects.

Thanks to everyone who is d/loading and hopefully enjoying! 58 d/loads so far since around midnight saturday.

wilson_sri
29-03-10, 08:23 PM
Pioneer is expensive yeh. But its still by a huge distance the best gear!

Yeh mate its a great set up, has taken a lot of spending though! I had to put cars to one side to be able to afford it. Currently running about in a no thrills 1.1 206 to afford my obsession! Also using a imac with logic pro for production, hoping to release my first track soon. Just putting the finishing touches to it just now.

Matt
29-03-10, 08:45 PM
Pioneer stuff is expensive for a reason! Kev is right about the 2000's though, they're in a whole new price bracket. Very cool though.

Wilson that setup sounds epic! You haven't been at it too long either have you iirc? Or maybe that's someone else? Have you got any pics of all your gear set up, purely for viewing pleasure?

Nova_Sean
29-03-10, 08:46 PM
Any links to drum and bass sets?

Will download this and give it ago

vx kev
29-03-10, 08:49 PM
Pioneer is expensive yeh. But its still by a huge distance the best gear!

Yeh mate its a great set up, has taken a lot of spending though! I had to put cars to one side to be able to afford it. Currently running about in a no thrills 1.1 206 to afford my obsession! Also using a imac with logic pro for production, hoping to release my first track soon. Just putting the finishing touches to it just now.

Ahh! That explains the low profile.... Confined to the bedroom practising at being a Superstar Dj Meastro lol

wilson_sri
29-03-10, 08:50 PM
Pioneer stuff is expensive for a reason! Kev is right about the 2000's though, they're in a whole new price bracket. Very cool though.

Wilson that setup sounds epic! You haven't been at it too long either have you iirc? Or maybe that's someone else? Have you got any pics of all your gear set up, purely for viewing pleasure?

Just over two years, so no not long at all really. Only got pictures of my original set up of cdj 1000s and the djm 800. But will get some new ones!
Im looking to dive more into the production course than djing, so looking to get a proper studio set up at some point.

wilson_sri
29-03-10, 08:51 PM
Ahh! That explains the low profile.... Confined to the bedroom practising at being a Superstar Dj Meastro lol
Exactly mate! Cant have it all ways lol

vx kev
29-03-10, 08:52 PM
Good stuff man, glad you found your calling eventually!
Look forward to hearing some of your stuff :thumb:

Austin.J
29-03-10, 09:11 PM
This, now this I like.

Cheers. :thumb:

The Simps
29-03-10, 09:19 PM
This, now this I like.

Cheers. :thumb:

Nice :thumb:

Matt
29-03-10, 11:18 PM
Just listened to your mix start to finish fella, nice selection of tracks and smoothly blended together. Really like The Sounds of Violence mix, makes me want to dig out my old Azure - Sunset 12"!

The Simps
29-03-10, 11:40 PM
Glad you enjoyed it mate, tis what its all about! My favourite part is the two tracks before sounds of violence where it gets a little techno

The Simps
31-03-10, 02:03 PM
Midweek bump!

Southie
31-03-10, 02:08 PM
:wisewood: <<<<<<<<< me dancing wooo :cool: Good job Simps :d

The Simps
31-03-10, 04:21 PM
cheers dude

The Simps
02-04-10, 11:53 AM
One last bump for the bank holiday weekend!

L14MNP
02-04-10, 11:56 AM
Forgot to say I enjoyed this one mate. Nice one. :thumb:

The Simps
02-04-10, 04:39 PM
Nice one