PDA

View Full Version : cause's of 4k idle??

SRlew
27-03-10, 07:24 PM
got my xe running but its idiling at 4k

took it for a spin down the road, stopped, started again, and then watched the rev counter started at 2k for a few seconds then went to 3k for a few seconds then to 4k

any ideas or just an air leak somewhere.

would the hard plastic pipe between the AFM and filter cause this if it was cracked? as it did look a bit worn

cheers lew

Adam
27-03-10, 07:27 PM
Anything BEFORE the afm is ok.

Have you got all the vacuum pipes connected???

ICV might be getting stuck open too.

To be idling like that youve got an airleak somewhere after the throttle, or the icv is jammed wide open or something. I dont think the ICV alone could supply enough air for 4k rpm though.

AlexW
27-03-10, 07:41 PM
I know mine is smallblock, but with the ICV stuck open, it idles at 4k.

Adam
27-03-10, 07:42 PM
It probably just is a fooked ICV then!

AlexW
27-03-10, 07:47 PM
What id say, its more than a slight airleak to cause it to idle that high.

Damo
27-03-10, 10:40 PM
Squeeze the ICV pipe lew and see if it slows down if it do's the ICV's knackered mate if not like others have said theres and air leak somewhere.:thumb: .

Damo.

Asa-James
27-03-10, 11:01 PM
Failing that, I left the throttle position sensor unplugged on my cav a couple of weeks ago, first thing it did was idle at 4k. Is it all cOnnected and wired in properly?

SRlew
28-03-10, 01:03 PM
yer all plugs connected and wired etc.

the icv pipe the one that comes from the power cap on the right hand side yer?
then theres the realy small pipe from the icv to something else there the onl pipes iirc

but will check now that iv got all the pipes connected correctly etc

is there any thing i can sparay around the pipes etc to get a rough idea where the leak could be? something that would alter the rpm when its sprayed?

cheers lew

SRlew
28-03-10, 01:33 PM
also right then just been out to look at the bay with the engine running, noticed the throttle linkage wasnt fully say closed. i pushed it back to clossed position and revs went down, let go and it started opening by its self so think that might be the cause.

im using the corsas throttle cable do needa different one?
also i notice at the end of the black outer of the cable where the metal cable comes through theres a bit of white comeing through aswell looks like the cable liner or something, am i supposed to be able to see thta, or do i just try a new cable??

matthew172
28-03-10, 04:11 PM
standard corsa cable aint long enough to let the throttle fully close in my experience, trim abit of the black outer bit from around the cable so it gives it more length to let butterfly close

Nobby
28-03-10, 05:41 PM
why not use an xe cable?

SRlew
29-03-10, 08:10 PM
would say an astra GTE cable be good to use? is it the right end to fit onto the throtle pedal.??