PDA

View Full Version : To move or not to move

Jack
27-03-10, 12:00 PM
At the mo I live in a 3 bedroom house with my sister that has a small garden and driveway for 2 cars with garage for 1. I'm 7 miles/15 mins from work, and currently pay £450 to live here.

Had a look last week at a few places in Dorchester with Hayley, including one 3 bedroom house which had bigger bedrooms, larger garden and a large double garage (which would easily fit both my cars + all my junk + more). The rental price is good considering its location, the council tax band is stupidly low for what it is, and I could live there with her and pay the same amount as I do to live here. Its part furnished, in that its empty but has all the white goods in the kitchen ready to go. All we'd need is a set of sofas and thats it.

Problem is I'd go from 15 mins/7 mile commute to 30-40 mins/28 mile commute. The distance and time isn't too much of an issue as its not a bad road at all, but its more the mileage on cars and cost of the petrol. In all honesty it would either mean selling the nova for a diesel hack (which almost certainly would NOT be another nova as derv powered novas seem rare as funk and when they do come up they're hammered), or ditching the V6 for a durbo conversion; which is unlikely as putting a diesel engine into a petrol chassis is a cock of a job afaik?

I'm being swayed by the double garage and price of the place, as said for the overall rental costs its an opportunity that I would kick myself for passing up. But the mileage on the cars is an issue :(

What to do, what to do

[edit] Other option would be to LPG the V6 and use that as a work taxi...

brainsnova
27-03-10, 12:08 PM
id stay put :thumb: yes the double garage would be good but not worth sacraficing the nova or swapping the engine .

MK999
27-03-10, 12:09 PM
had a similar issue myself and just picked up a random cheap derv to get around, don't have to like it much when you have other cars to play with, then its up to you if you keep the nova or decide that it wouldn't be used and get rid? Is there any kind of 'sentimental' I want to keep it because it's fun/a nova/I like it just because or not? :p

NovaLad
27-03-10, 12:10 PM
Move north it's cheaper!

Jack
27-03-10, 12:14 PM
A third car would be out the question, two is enough lol

Not moving Norf :p in fact this would be a move further south lol

draper
27-03-10, 12:14 PM
look at the bigger picture not the fact you might have to sell the nove imo

surely moving in with the missus outweighs having to sell an 80s rotbox ?

move and get rudey nudey time 24/7 :d

MK999
27-03-10, 12:16 PM
A third car would be out the question, two is enough lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/MK999/DSC01399.jpg
Lies :/ lol

AlexW
27-03-10, 12:17 PM
Move out, Nova is just a pile of 80s rusting crap tbh.

So sell the nova, buy some gay **** thing (Corsa C 1.3CDTI :D).

bmw156
27-03-10, 12:23 PM
i reckon you have bigger fish to fry at the moment tbh.

but you would stop getting ripped off from your sister.

if it was me. i would go for it, sell the 80's rot box, keep the piece of jap.

and fill the double garage with a locost/westy.

Andy
27-03-10, 12:26 PM
LPG the V6 and move.=Win

craig green
27-03-10, 12:27 PM
Living with a bird justs ends in tears. Stay put. Soz.

Adam
27-03-10, 12:29 PM
Id move TBH.
I wouldnt let a fookin nova stand in the way of moving into your own (better) place with your missus....... (If it 100% what you want)

Sell the GT4 lol

Andy
27-03-10, 12:30 PM
Living with a bird justs ends in tears. Stay put. Soz.
not for everyone it doesnt

Adam
27-03-10, 12:39 PM
For quite a few it does. Going from seeing a bird a few times a week to then living with them 24/7 is a bit of a change.

craig green
27-03-10, 12:51 PM
not for everyone it doesnt

No I know. I'm just a miserable coont thats come out of a failed relationship.

As Adam says, going from seeing them a few evenings a week to putting up wit them 24/7 isnt easy. Esp if they havent lived away from parents before..

Nova_Tek
27-03-10, 12:59 PM
Move north it's cheaper!

Cheaper? How much cheaper can it get?

I live in London and the house next to me is rented out by my old neighbour. It's 3 bed house with 2 double bedrooms and 1 very very smal bedroom the size of a double bed. Decent garden to the rear and garden at front which will fit 1 car max and have enough space for a pathway to the door. The guys pay £1200 rent per month.

£450 is very good Jack and considering you can use your V6 and your trek to work is only 7 miles, I'd personally stay put.

Connor
27-03-10, 01:18 PM
Lpg v6 + live with the missis = winner winner

muzzy
27-03-10, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't let a Nova hold me back from a house like that. I did vote to buy shares in shell but realistically I would sell the Nova and buy a comfortable diesel of some sort (Mondeo?).

John
27-03-10, 01:59 PM
trust me jack, the commute would do your head in. I moved from a 45min commute to a 10-15mine commute, can't tell you how pleased i was! Plus like you say, fuel costs will hammer you!

House does sound nice tho!

(sorry, haven't helped have i lol)

Nova_Tek
27-03-10, 02:03 PM
Get your wifey to move in with you and get your sis to go home lol. Or if your sis and your bird get a long your sis can stay, but with birds it's not that easy... territorial problems lol

Angus Closier
27-03-10, 02:09 PM
Dorchester as in dorset??? OOO Close to me if it is...I would say move....guess there is a time in your life when you have to get a sensible car for work! Id sell one of your cars and get a cheap derv for the time being!

Bubba
27-03-10, 02:19 PM
move...sell the nova...sell the jap ****...buy an audi ;)

scott.parker
27-03-10, 02:39 PM
Humm.. I say move in with the missus, but right out some rule book. as i need to do this with mine, we have been together 2.5yrs and living in the house 3weeks today, i do most the cleaning up, and all the washing up (although the plan was wash if she cooked the meal) basically get some base rules and stick to them mate, as for cars/traveling i am looking to get rid of my passat as my commute is a fix regular one now (not like when i was self employed etc) and i find that i spend more in a week in Diesel in the passat then i do if i drive the 1.2 nova!

So i honestly think IF you want/love the nova enough to keep it, make it better, then the option could be to sell the GT4 and get a nice "modern" TDI with mod cons, like a Seat, or Audi as the older stuff is crap on miles in my experience compared to new normal petrol engines, as im looking to buy something like a Astra mk4 1.8 16v soon.

It's really something you need to talk to with the missis really, but i say 100% move in with he either way.

Scott

Jack
27-03-10, 02:48 PM
and fill the double garage with a locost/westy.
Not a chance would I drive a westfield to work every day lol

Sell the GT4 lol
Never gonna happen. As I'd replace it with a GTO which would be worse on fuel lol

I live in London and the house next to me is rented out by my old neighbour. It's 3 bed house with 2 double bedrooms and 1 very very smal bedroom the size of a double bed. Decent garden to the rear and garden at front which will fit 1 car max and have enough space for a pathway to the door. The guys pay £1200 rent per month.

£450 is very good Jack and considering you can use your V6 and your trek to work is only 7 miles, I'd personally stay put.
£450 is only my half of the bills, the rent on this place is £675. The new place would be higher rent, but because Hayley would pay more I could still get away with paying £450 :d

Living with Hayley is no problem, we get on fine... she works shifts and I've been spending all her rest days with her. Plus the shiftwork means we wouldn't be under each others feet all the time either.

If I could get a £25k job in Dorch this would be a no-brainer. Grr.

Might text Lee and ask what his knowledge on fitting LPG kits is like lol

MK999
27-03-10, 02:51 PM

He might be able to pull off the no eyebrows look I guess.

dannyb
27-03-10, 03:00 PM

I'm in one of the more expensive/desirable/low crime parts of Manchester and pay £650 a month for 3 double beds, 2 large reception rooms, driveway front garden/ large back garden, double glazing, central, cavity etc. If I lived in a similar house in Oldham where I work you'd probably knock another 200 quid off that a month, but I don't fancy being burgled every week.lol

Jack, I commute 20 miles each way and I have considered getting a 125 bike; I wince everytime the cost of fuel goes up. I'm only hoping they finish the tram here so I don't have to ride a 125...!
Living with the missus is fine as long as you are sure she is sound and you have no doubts in your mind. Share the household spends and housework equally and you'll be fine. If you do any more than your fair share her mates will probably end up hearing about it and you'll be the golden boy!

scott.parker
27-03-10, 03:46 PM
Oh so my opinions dont matter i see! lol

Benn
27-03-10, 04:19 PM
Move, keep the Nova as the toy, sell the gt4 (if it is one) and get a derv mega mpg hack.

Ben
27-03-10, 04:35 PM

Have a word with Jonlem IIRC thats his day job lol.

TBH mate i would jump at the chance of moving in with your mrs, and sorts the sh!t with your sister out.

In your situation atm i think a nice fresh start would be a great thing.

sulphur
27-03-10, 04:52 PM
I'd say move. Sell the nova for a daily derv, keep the gt4 as the toy and spend the money on that rather than the nova. Better having fast jap than fast crap. lol
Seriously though, the nova's only a nova. Move in with the mrs, nothing beats having your own place, and the garage is a bonus! :thumb:

Jack
27-03-10, 06:17 PM
sell the gt4 (if it is one)
It is. And I'd then end up selling the Nova to buy another one lol

Andy
27-03-10, 06:21 PM
buy a Honda Cub 90 and commute in style with a pis5 pot helmet on lol

pikey1986
27-03-10, 06:29 PM
buy a Honda Cub 90 and commute in style with a pis5 pot helmet on lol

the best idea by far lol

AlexW
27-03-10, 06:43 PM
TBH, make up your own mind, not a few people on the internet.

sparkie1401
27-03-10, 06:59 PM
move and recieve a blow job in either or both cars whilst in the double garage lol

heavenly WIN

oh and LPG the V6

Sloth
27-03-10, 07:31 PM
do what YOU want. sell me the v6 :D

Danny s-p
27-03-10, 07:37 PM
id move mate and lpg it you can get some good kits now

Ben
27-03-10, 07:41 PM
do what YOU want. sell me the v6 :D

He cant do that we all then have to admit you do own a car!

Ben
27-03-10, 07:42 PM
And TBH Jack think its obvious what you want to do, a half hour commute is not an issue tbh.

Sloth
27-03-10, 07:45 PM

you not seen my beemer?:p

Sloth
27-03-10, 07:46 PM
you not seen my beemer?:p

Fester
27-03-10, 09:14 PM
I'm not sure.

Jack
27-03-10, 09:26 PM
TBH, make up your own mind, not a few people on the internet.
FOAD you hippie :)

And TBH Jack think its obvious what you want to do, a half hour commute is not an issue tbh.
I know, but I was looking for good reasoning either way lol

Ben
27-03-10, 09:50 PM
Just do as your head tells you, IMO on the choice you have the sensible and emotinal reason is the same answer so its easy unless you going to miss your sister that much?!

Hobbit
28-03-10, 07:25 PM
Have a word with Jonlem IIRC thats his day job lol.

TBH mate i would jump at the chance of moving in with your mrs, and sorts the sh!t with your sister out.

In your situation atm i think a nice fresh start would be a great thing.

:eek: lol

Move, bend over and take the fuel costs like a man :thumb:

bazil
28-03-10, 07:42 PM
move and sell both cars and get a cracking derv like a 530M beemer, the nova will only die of rust anyway and the gt4 will only cost you more the longer you keep it.

edit how much is fuel down your way? its upto £1.20/litre here, and you need your own house mate.

blue_peg_16v
28-03-10, 08:59 PM
move and fit lpg to the loon

Spudly
28-03-10, 09:01 PM
move and fit lpg to the loon

Seconded:thumb:

Jack
28-03-10, 09:17 PM
I've had a look at LPG kits, thankfully mine would use the cheapest of the kits available as it has no cat and what not. As Lee said last night in text, its a dodgy thing to fettle with if you don't have a good handle on it, so I'd really need to factor the cost of a pro install. Hrrrmmmmm.

I hate decisions, 5 mins ago I decided I may as well just stay where I am but now I want to move again lol

craig green
28-03-10, 09:17 PM
edit how much is fuel down your way? its upto £1.20/litre here, and you need your own house mate.

For me its about £1.13 litre for supermarket unleaded. Jack is 20 miles or so away & further from a motorway which I believe can make a difference to the costs of fuel from a supplier.

So Jack are you moving in or staying? When does polling close?

Jack
28-03-10, 09:20 PM
I haven't bought petrol for over 3 weeks now so don't know the exact price, but I think Asda have it about 114-115.9? at the mo...

Polling has no close date, but the earliest we'd be able to get a second viewing of the place would be next monday (5th) due to Hayley working shifts. By that time it would probably have gone already

blue_peg_16v
28-03-10, 09:25 PM
I've had a look at LPG kits, thankfully mine would use the cheapest of the kits available as it has no cat and what not. As Lee said last night in text, its a dodgy thing to fettle with if you don't have a good handle on it, so I'd really need to factor the cost of a pro install. Hrrrmmmmm.

I hate decisions, 5 mins ago I decided I may as well just stay where I am but now I want to move again lol

the other option is to fit the system yourself and get a pro to check the instal and set up that would work out a bit of a saving

MK999
28-03-10, 09:26 PM
the other option is to fit the system yourself and get a pro to check the instal and set up that would work out a bit of a saving

With something like LPG they may not touch it though, as if they sign it off and it goes boom they'd be liable.

Jack
28-03-10, 09:29 PM
the other option is to have Lee fit the system and get a pro to check the instal and set up that would work out a bit of a saving
Fixed :d

Me + mechanics = impending fail lol

craig green
28-03-10, 09:30 PM
I used to do some ads for an LPG installer.

Lloydash.co.uk

Spudly
28-03-10, 09:30 PM

Me + mechanics = death and fire lol

draper
29-03-10, 02:59 PM

this.

tbh its not that much more difficult than any engine/enginerring works, ive decided the vectra is getting a conversion rather than downsizing my car if i get this apprenticship

Mike
29-03-10, 05:38 PM
In all honestly, id say sell the Loon.

Its always gonna be an old 80s shÃ*tbox, an once you add a garage into it, the temptation to spend on it will be even more, which inevitibly costs money. The same money that you could use elsewhere.

It might be a case of accept the fact that itll be a longer commute, milage on either car/s will increase regardless of moving or staying. However as already said, a modern day TDCi motor will see you happy. Ive managed 516 miles to a full tank in my TDi engined Corsa, which now has a milage of almost 125k on an 02 reg lol lol

Personally id say follow your heart mate, things might appear greener on the other side, but in reality, are they?