PDA

View Full Version : 2.0litre brakes or v6?

puss puss
27-03-10, 10:37 AM
hey all am building a track day 2.0l xe nova

hopefully once the engine is done it will put out about 170-180 bhp (would be nice)

what brakes route should i go down 2l or v6? i know the v6 is slightly bigger would it be noticeable if i changed from a 2l setup to a v6 setup?

Disks and pads will more then likely be uprated before i hit a track

Just wondered what you lot thought about them?

And also what about the rears i know its only like 30% rear braking so would my 1.2 drums be ok or wouldnt they be able to cope?

I have seen a few rear disk conversions are they worth it or mainly for shows? :thumb:

Cheers all

Jack
27-03-10, 11:30 AM
2.0 with quality pads if its track use. V6 setup is a fair bit heavier.

...and the V6s are either ON of OFF so you'd probably spend most of your time locking the wheels up lol

AlexW
27-03-10, 12:14 PM
2.0 setup every time, decent discs and pads and there perfect.

Drums will be fine on the back, theres no weight in the back of a nova, and even less when its a track car.

V6 brakes tend to make the pedal feel funny/go too far too.

craig green
27-03-10, 12:21 PM
...and the V6s are either ON of OFF so you'd probably spend most of your time locking the wheels up

eh? :confused:

Adam
27-03-10, 12:34 PM
The difference between V6 and 256 is massive, in terms of braking.

Yes they do weight (a lot) more, but theres no way id refit 256 onto mine.

If i wasnt bothered about trackdays anymore, then i would.

If you do get 256, make sure your 100% get some decent pads (Pagids, M1144/M1155 etc), because at my last trackday i managed to pretty much destroy my front brakes (Turbo 284 setup), standard discs and GM pads but still... They hardly work at all know due to the discs feeling "Ribbed" lol

I dont agree with the on/off statement, yes they work powerfully, but its not like they lock up as soon as you touch the pedal, youve still got progression if you get me..... They will take a while get used to though because if you do slam them on like you do with small brakes, they will lock up...

OH and btw, dont get V6 calipers, get Turbo ones.

craig green
27-03-10, 12:48 PM
I had the 288 Vectra gear on my GSi. Tbh its the 1st time I've ever been satisfied with the braking on any Nova.

Jack
27-03-10, 03:07 PM
eh? :confused:
Mine have an amount of pedal travel where not a lot appears to happen then the anchors come on.

Mazz
27-03-10, 03:35 PM
tbh my V6 brakes are great, they feel very progressive, and if you stamp on them you would hit your head on the wheel!

and imo, rear discs are mainly for show, they are over-kill for Nova's..

John
27-03-10, 03:39 PM
Go for the 284 set up like ad says.

Mazz
27-03-10, 04:00 PM
Why, how are they different apart from 4mm?

Adam
27-03-10, 04:05 PM
The turbo calipers have a smaller piston, so the pedal "feels" better.
Ive had v6 on mine before i didnt like them, Turbo calipers are much better on a small nova m/c.
You can still use the same discs, so its an all round WIN tbh.

Benn
27-03-10, 04:22 PM
I'd keep the 256mm, with good pads and disk.

284mm are better for pedal travel and feel than the 288mm stuff. But getting pads and disks isnt cheap as they arnt a widely used set up.

288mm can be great in some cars pooo in others..

l1nuxxx
27-03-10, 08:05 PM
On my V6 brakes the rears locked up if you slamed them on hard. I fitted a bias valve to prevent this.

Andy
27-03-10, 08:30 PM
The turbo calipers have a smaller piston, so the pedal "feels" better.
Ive had v6 on mine before i didnt like them, Turbo calipers are much better on a small nova m/c.
You can still use the same discs, so its an all round WIN tbh.
Trying to find a set isnt though,which is why people get V6 ones;)