PDA

View Full Version : Mountain bike advice...

Ben
26-03-10, 08:48 PM
I know theres a few of you on here that are into them in a big way...

I am looking at getting a bike but all the size guides i look at say i need a 23" frame only prob is the bike i want only go upto 21" i know its only 2"'s does it really matter?

craig green
26-03-10, 08:53 PM
How tall are you & are you average leg or long etc.

Are you intending to offroad with it?

Andy
26-03-10, 08:56 PM
what sort of riding will you be doing?

Ben
26-03-10, 08:56 PM
wont be offroad as in downhilling it just run of the mill use.

Im 6ft6/7 with 36" inside leg.

craig green
26-03-10, 09:00 PM
Yeah you deffo want a 20"+ bike. The smaller you have the lower the bars will feel (possibly uncomfortable) as the saddle will obvioulsy be higher out of the frame in relation to the bars.

Not sure if you are buying blind 'online' or from a shop, but stood over the frame, you should be able to lift the bike upto your crotch & the tyres be 5 or 6" off the ground, maybe more. Likewise when pedalling you want a small bend in the knee when the pedal is at the bottom of the stroke.
Get these 2 aspects setup right, if the bike doesnt look odd, chances are its the right frame size.

Any links to what you are considering?

Ben
26-03-10, 09:03 PM
clicky (http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/images/2009_bikes/710/P7_S-002123.jpg)

Always wanted one since i was a kid and the current version looks awesome but as said they only go upto 21".

craig green
26-03-10, 09:05 PM
Thing is, it;'s nothing like the original, prestige steel awesomeness. Retro bikes FTW.

Get the largest size mate, it'll be fine.

Ben
26-03-10, 09:08 PM
I agree about the difference but when i was about 13/14 bloke round the corner had a nickel coloured P7 and we all adored it and just always wanted one!

Might go see if still has it, i know he still has his mongoose bmx complete with original grips etc he worships everything lol

craig green
26-03-10, 09:14 PM
Yeah the early ones were nice. I remember when the P7 came out, it was a beefier version of the prestige (my fave) which was lighter & skinnier tubing.

take a look on retrobike.co.uk for old school MTB goodness. Lots of Klein & Pace pics on there & lots more. It takes me back.

craig green
26-03-10, 09:27 PM
Take a look at this bike man!

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92635&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Ben
26-03-10, 09:36 PM
lol i had klein bike when i was 12 didnt know what it was! lovely thing.

craig green
26-03-10, 09:46 PM
Damn! Rich parents? lol

Benn
26-03-10, 10:05 PM
Been looking at the retorides thing, its very cool. But i'm clearly a snobby new bike lover.. I want disc brakes and stuff..lol

Edd
26-03-10, 10:12 PM
Cannondale ftw

Ben
26-03-10, 10:15 PM
Damn! Rich parents? lol

No when i lived in South Africa as a kid the bloke next door used to let me borrow his mountain bike and when he moved back to germany he let me keep it. It was a Klein and i had never heard of them lol was white with green and grey flecks, i knew it was a very good bike but not quite how goiod, he also had a Opel Kaddet GSi 16v (Astra GTE 16v) Brand new in 1990 had full leather etc was awesome.

Reason never forget the make as his name was Bernd Klein so we always joked about it.

craig green
26-03-10, 10:21 PM
Cannondale ftw

Yawn! lol

Ben
26-03-10, 10:25 PM
You got me thinking now Craig, wonder if i can find out which model Klein that was.

Ash
26-03-10, 10:58 PM
Im 6'3" and ride a 20" GT (which measures 21.5") It's great for commuting and light XC, but on the steeper stuff I could do with a true 18/19" or at least something with a sloping toptube.

I'm slightly out of touch with mtb of late, but most of the guys from GT went and set up 'Felt' seemed resonible back in the day, unsure what they are like now. It really depends what you want from the bike and if your prepared to changed bits to suit. I personally would only ride a steel or titanium frame now. Saying that I did ride a sublime Scott the other day ;)

EDIT: just clicked the link - that P7 is amazing - I like :D
never knew that retrorides existed! I've got an original Orange Clockwork too (like this) (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93773)

Ben
26-03-10, 11:09 PM
Just been looking around and quite like the 2010 Rockhopper SL Pro.

When im in the UK next will have a look round and try a couple out, they only have racer types here, ask for a mountain bike they look blankly and say we dont have mountains!

craig green
26-03-10, 11:32 PM
You got me thinking now Craig, wonder if i can find out which model Klein that was.

Adroit, Attitude, Pinnacle?

Ben
27-03-10, 06:02 AM
Not a clue, will dig through old photos i know got some photos of it. Had a look through retro kleins and they are very similar style frames.

lee-loon
27-03-10, 07:19 AM
Im 6'3" and ride a 20" GT (which measures 21.5") It's great for commuting and light XC, but on the steeper stuff I could do with a true 18/19" or at least something with a sloping toptube.

I'm slightly out of touch with mtb of late, but most of the guys from GT went and set up 'Felt' seemed resonible back in the day, unsure what they are like now. It really depends what you want from the bike and if your prepared to changed bits to suit. I personally would only ride a steel or titanium frame now. Saying that I did ride a sublime Scott the other day ;)

EDIT: just clicked the link - that P7 is amazing - I like :D
never knew that retrorides existed! I've got an original Orange Clockwork too (like this) (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93773)
Orange clockwork FTW I've got one in my garage needs painting though!

grooge
27-03-10, 09:07 PM
23" would be to big to ride well off road IMO. as craig said the biggest size should be fine, although if you do want to go for some steeper stuff then a smaller frame with a slpoing top tube would be better.
for retro bikes I currently own one of each of these,
http://web.archive.org/web/19990508030721/www.konaworld.com/Bikes/99bikes/99bikeinfo.html
and
http://web.archive.org/web/19990508030721/www.konaworld.com/Bikes/99bikes/99bikeinfo.html
although the nunu has a much better spec than that now(only really frame and forks are original) although i still have most original parts, and the stinky is out of use just now with a stripped crank and has a ****ty blue op[aintjob from the previous owner and also has very few original parts left. I even still race the nunu in the scottish series and few other events. racing tomorrow in fact.

link doesnt seem to work properly but its the stinky and the nunu I have. you can see them if you hover over the list part at the side and click on the names.