PDA

View Full Version : Transporting an untaxed, uninsured Nova

mk1nova_rich
25-03-10, 09:33 PM
Cheapest and easiest way possible, any suggestions welcome. It would be a 60 mile round trip so needs to be pretty safe

let_nova
25-03-10, 09:42 PM
trailer

mk1nova_rich
25-03-10, 09:43 PM
nothing to tow a trailer with, what about hiring one of them fixed tow bars?

let_nova
25-03-10, 09:44 PM
car needs to be taxed. if its wheels touch the road it needs to be taxed etc

puss puss
25-03-10, 09:45 PM
trailer only way

mk1nova_rich
25-03-10, 09:46 PM
ok, wasnt too sure on the legalities of towing and so on. not looking promising then, want to get out to first Club Autotest of season :(

chimp007_uk
25-03-10, 09:49 PM
don't think you Can tow or use dolly. if wheels are touching the road you will need tax.

mk1nova_rich
25-03-10, 09:50 PM
hmm :( looks like i will need to find someone with a trailer then

bazil
25-03-10, 10:17 PM
join the AA then say youve broke down and need a lift home on a transporter lol, check locally your bound to find someone that will deliver it for you, my dad got a landrover discovery brought up from plymouth to paisley for 160 quid!!

muzzy
25-03-10, 10:18 PM
Your car has to be taxed to use the AA lol

mk1nova_rich
25-03-10, 10:18 PM
will have to have a nosey round, still off work on SSP so no chance of getting Nova welded, insured, MOT'd and taxed by April 21st :(

CoolTiger
25-03-10, 10:28 PM
borrow some trade plates

muzzy
25-03-10, 10:30 PM
borrow some trade plates

What about insurance though?

CoolTiger
25-03-10, 10:32 PM
trade plates cover insurance :)

Ian_Gsi16v
25-03-10, 10:32 PM
I need to get my 106 to a garage 3 miles away so it can be fixed to pass an MOT, all these "have to be taxed to be towed" rules is taking it too far. Got nothing to tow a trailer with (which would be £60 anyway) so im stick with having to risk towing it with a towbar.

muzzy
25-03-10, 10:33 PM
I would double check that ;)

bazil
25-03-10, 10:41 PM
I need to get my 106 to a garage 3 miles away so it can be fixed to pass an MOT, all these "have to be taxed to be towed" rules is taking it too far. Got nothing to tow a trailer with (which would be £60 anyway) so im stick with having to risk towing it with a towbar.

I would rekon that if the car is insured and is booked into a local garage for mot repairs you would be very unlucky to get done, but check with your local plod shop they should keep you right.

let_nova
25-03-10, 10:42 PM

dougie_boi
26-03-10, 08:14 AM
at least 2 wheels need to be off the ground to have it towed it cant be rolling under its own steam

bazil
26-03-10, 08:17 AM
at least 2 wheels need to be off the ground to have it towed it cant be rolling under its own steam

spec frame/ a frame / dolly idea then?

vaughanmc
26-03-10, 10:02 AM
We straight-barred the old TD Nova and it wasn't insured, taxed or MOT'd

We got told that aslong as the car that's pulling it is all legal and legit then theres no problems because where ever the legal/legit car goes the one that's not legal/legit is going with it (Same idea as a trailor etc)

And it was an Autotest car as well...

bazil
26-03-10, 10:11 AM
We straight-barred the old TD Nova and it wasn't insured, taxed or MOT'd

We got told that aslong as the car that's pulling it is all legal and legit then theres no problems because where ever the legal/legit car goes the one that's not legal/legit is going with it (Same idea as a trailor etc)

And it was an Autotest car as well...

you need to watch with this aswell, if straight bar towing you need to ensure that the vehicle pulling has a greater towing capasity (sp) than the weight of the towed vehicle also you have to ensure you have working lights on the rear vehicle ie lightboard. Traffic cops ain't stupid and all they want to ensure is there is no danger to the public, if it's wrong you will get done.

gazz
26-03-10, 10:11 AM
you can use a dolly/ a frame or straight bar to tow an untaxed,uninsured and no mot vehicle as long as it's not hanging lol
as for driving to mot test station pop into local nick, and inform them. there is a levy for it. i cant remember the code for it. i may find out later from a copper friend ;)

dougie_boi
26-03-10, 10:41 AM
spec frame/ a frame / dolly idea then? thats the one matey :thumb:

grooge
26-03-10, 10:43 AM
I'm picking up a sierra tonight with no tax,test insurance and I'm just going to tow it. Done this with a good few cars no problem. 60 miles is quite far to tow though so i'd be tempted to just drive it if the car looks OK.
It all depends on the roads you'll be travelling on IMO and whether you know if they have trafpol on them often. Also if you're willing to take the risk of getting caught. If its really busy roads I'd probably leave it, you can always do the next event:thumb:

L14MNP
26-03-10, 11:00 AM
Shall I post this again? lol

Cat C (repaired) awaiting VIC test, obv. no insurance/tax/MOT. Newcastle - Lincoln with no issues. A-frame FTW. Not 100% legal I'll grant you, but it done the job.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Con2K/Ford%20Racing%20Puma/DSC07116.jpg
:thumb: lol

gazz
26-03-10, 11:02 AM
thats the one matey :thumb:

dont forget a tail board:thumb:

Jon_nova1
26-03-10, 11:05 AM
insure it for a day, book it in for an MOT, its all legal aslong as its going to the test station, just don't tell anyone if you *forget* to take it and it ends up on your driveway

L33 LEG
26-03-10, 12:54 PM
Day insure it or get somebody on trade. Be friendly with an mot place just in case you get pulled and say you have just bought the car and are on the way to the mot and then will tax it after that.

Aslong as you have insurance though afaik you cant get points for anything IF you get pulled. MOT is a fine and tax will probably get the car impounded. I once drove an E30 cab from birmingham to blackburn without anything on the database and hadnt been taxed for a year, it was mouldy and sounded rough as fcuk and had to go down most of the M6. Somehow didnt get pulled :wtf:

L33 LEG
26-03-10, 12:55 PM
insure it for a day, book it in for an MOT, its all legal aslong as its going to the test station, just don't tell anyone if you *forget* to take it and it ends up on your driveway

Oops, didnt read your reply. What this guy said lol

Scooby_Eater
26-03-10, 07:21 PM
Shall I post this again? lol

Cat C (repaired) awaiting VIC test, obv. no insurance/tax/MOT. Newcastle - Lincoln with no issues. A-frame FTW. Not 100% legal I'll grant you, but it done the job.

:thumb: lol

A frame ftw :thumb: towed a CAT C still damaged (side impact from cornwall to sheffield with no problems whatsoever

Mike
26-03-10, 07:26 PM
Meh, id just drive it anyway.

How do you think my Nova Van made it from London to my house, along with my Cav from Skeggy, BMW Coupe from Brighton etc etc etc

Benn
26-03-10, 07:34 PM
Only read the first page, so if its been said sorry.

Any car that's on the queens highway needs to be insured.