PDA

View Full Version : inner rear wheel arch ideas

craighawkins
24-03-10, 10:49 PM
inner rear wheel arches need replacing on my nova only really where they meet the outers not the full lot. can you buy repair panels or is it easier to just make them?
ideas and suggestions pls
cheers

NathanSRi
24-03-10, 10:51 PM
Some people cut down an outer replacement panel, shape it to the inner arch and use that.

craig green
24-03-10, 10:53 PM
As above, make a new inner lip basically, depending on how bad or far up its rotten.

ade
25-03-10, 09:42 AM
Dont bother replacing them - I'm in the middle of replacing my rear arches on my puntova project and the best option is to totally remove the inner curved section from the immer arch and then extend the inner arch and weld it directly to the outer skin. That way the rear arch is single skinned just like the front wings and will last a hell of a lot longer. I'll stick up some pics of my wip...

you need to make up a templates to follow the curve of the arch and you need to watch re welding warpage as the inner arch follows curve of the rear flared section but tbh if you need to remove and rear 1/4 anyway youre gonna get some regardless and when I did mine the warpage was really small - mainly because the flare actually helps reinforce the metals lines. Any small warpage will be removed when you weld on the new 1/4 panel and its nowt a bit hammer dolly and filler wont sort...

Ade

ade
25-03-10, 09:44 AM
also before anyone says what about warpage from the body flex - there wont be any - at the end of the day the inner lips are welder together and the amount of surface area to be welded spreads any loads evenly along the arch.

Nova_Tek
25-03-10, 09:50 AM
Dont bother replacing them - I'm in the middle of replacing my rear arches on my puntova project and the best option is to totally remove the inner curved section from the immer arch and then extend the inner arch and weld it directly to the outer skin. That way the rear arch is single skinned just like the front wings and will last a hell of a lot longer. I'll stick up some pics of my wip...Ade

That's the same technique the geeza at the bodyshop done to my Nova's rear arches. He said it was the best way and would last much longer. For me it was only a cm or so that started to rot so he cut off the crap and welded it to the inside of the outer arch. :thumb:

GRUNT 16V
25-03-10, 10:42 AM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114670&page=12&highlight=EDDS
CHECK OUT THE PICS ON THIS THREAD !! I WELDED A OUTER ARCH REPAIR
PANEL IN PLACE WHICH WORKS A TREAT JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET IT LINED UP RIGHT !
CHEERS GRANT
!!!! REP ME UP BABY!

dj_wudgey
25-03-10, 11:44 AM
id have just said to make your own piece either using a out or just some sheet metal!!

ade
25-03-10, 04:59 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114670&page=12&highlight=EDDS
CHECK OUT THE PICS ON THIS THREAD !! I WELDED A OUTER ARCH REPAIR
PANEL IN PLACE WHICH WORKS A TREAT JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET IT LINED UP RIGHT !
CHEERS GRANT
!!!! REP ME UP BABY!

Thats what i did on the SR but i found it to be a right a pain in the anus because the outer skin needs slight modness to fit - still got a good result - until I had to cut it all off due to mega scrubbage after PNG Nat 2!

lol

craighawkins
27-03-10, 06:52 PM
sound job think i'll go down the outer arch doubled up route