matt_vaughan
23-03-10, 07:22 PM
is it really this easy.....???

http://www.vauxhallsportforum.com/phpBB2/corsa-nova-shortshift-diy-t1762.html

I've never put one side by side with a standard to compare so dont flame me lol

If so, anyone got experience on how they did it, measurements etc

craig green
23-03-10, 07:28 PM
Its only a mechanical lever, change its proportions & it will alter the throw.

Shonky welding though, I wouldnt take photos of it myself!!

Benn
23-03-10, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't bother, the throw isn't that long.

craig green
23-03-10, 07:36 PM
It is compared with other cars from the era. The shift is very vague at the best of times. Were just used to shonky Vauxhalls!

matt_vaughan
23-03-10, 07:37 PM
Think I'll just rosejoint it instead.

Incidently, just fitting a lower sitting gear knob helped massively.

Benn
23-03-10, 07:38 PM
See i've driven loads of cars (from the bodyshop and such) and i don't think it has alot of throw or is vague.

draper
23-03-10, 07:40 PM
i dont think the throw is that bad tbh, but vauxhalls in general have vague/porridge stirring shifts ime

my vectra is the same

Adam
23-03-10, 07:49 PM
The shift in my astra is spot on, nova is well shonky compared to it, but the "throw" isnt too long IMO
Its just a vague shift linkage when it starts wearing...

Also have to be careful with short shifts, because you are altering the amount of the time the box synchros have to match to drop into gear.
I know on a mates VTS that i drove with a short shift, it was horrid, you couldnt change gear as quick as you could with the standard shift because the synchros/gears would just crunch. Completely pointless if you like driving hard......

craig green
23-03-10, 07:55 PM

Incidently, just fitting a lower sitting gear knob helped massively.

Chopping an inch off the stick might reduce the throw by a mm or so at the knob end (sorry), but I wouldnt take too much off. Could feel like further to reach, bear in mind most of us prolly run the seat a fair way back, yet the shifter is far enough forward for little old dears perched off the front of a merit seat hanging onto the wheel..

matt_vaughan
23-03-10, 08:24 PM
Nah I just noticed how the Richbrook knob i now have (non chav brushed ally one btw) sits lower down the knob, makes a noticable difference and to be honest does feel nicer.

Will rosejoint I think though, make it all feel a little more definate.

And I have long lanky arms so I have no problem reaching lol