PDA

View Full Version : A Bit Odd

SKoob
18-04-03, 03:03 AM
I have a 1.2 Nova Merit. It has an ITG bolt on air filter and an exhasut (dunno what make :S). Everything was fine and dandy for 2 days. Then it started to do wiers stuff, It wud get to about 40mph in second, then sop accelerating, so i chaged up a gear and it just didn't accelerate at all, and then even cut out. I put new HT leads on and plugs. I took it to a garage to have it dignostically tuned and they say its serious :S, i just thought it was fuel realted, anyone else had this problem and have an idea as to what it is?[/quote][/b]

locky
18-04-03, 07:59 AM
Check the air filter aint blocked! did u buy it new or 2nd hand? mite need a clean!

Stuart
18-04-03, 10:06 AM
a) where do you buy your fuel? if tescos i recomend that you dont buy it ever again. many many cases of water in the fuel.

b) blocked jets are a possibility

oh and changing "up" a gear while stuggelling will only make the struggle harder lol

clean the air filter, get some fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank (i know its a carb but still, injector cleaner is more harsh and cleans better) and go to a different garage to get a better answer than "oh its serious"

ade
21-04-03, 01:56 PM
1.2 engine - changing up from 2nd to 3rd at 40mph! :o you aint gonna find much more acceleration - regardless of what air filter you have!

The filter/exhaust system on a 1.2 will only give you very small gains - nothing that noticeable.

at 40mph you should be in 3rd, then changing up at about 50 (maxish) to 4th. I had a 1.2 merit (4 speed box) and could get 60 in 3rd but you aint gonna gdo yer engine any favours!

You chould check the timing - I also experienced a situ where the car wouldnt accelerate over 50 mph (4th) and it tapped alot (pinking) - timing was well out - then a month later the head warped!

:(

In my opinion, youre changing gear far too late so the acceleration for the next gear is gone coz the previous gear has already encrouched on it (and burnt double the fuel in the process!)

Got a 1.4 now (well sort of...still being sitted :evil: )

Ade

Nova-Boy
22-04-03, 09:42 AM
Come on ade live a little! You can take your engine past 3000rmp! :lol:

I have had my speedo reading nearly 60mph before going into 3rd sometimes!! :lol: And this isn't just a dogy speedo cos i still do it now with my new speedo! (could still be a bit out so i will say 55ish) But that is nearly red lining it and does start to loose power. Best spot to to change for racing style would be lower. About 5000 rpm?? So i would say changing from 2nd to 3rd at 40 should be good on acelleration?

Check your fuel filter (if you have one) and carb jets.

Get the timing spot on (always helps). Make sure vacuum advance is working (on every nova i have ever looked under the bonnet it hasn't worked!)

Take your air filter off and give it a blast up the street and back. That will rule that out if it still does it.

ade
22-04-03, 10:52 PM
Come on ade live a little! You can take your engine past 3000rmp!

lol m8 - been over 3000revs lots meself - all I'm saying is if he does it regularly his engine will (and probably has) lived a little - prob taken a few years off it.

2500 - 3000revs is the average change up speed for alledged optimum driving/fuel consumption (apparantly) - if yer gonna continueously go over this and take up to 5000+ (which I reckon is what hes doing) then the car aint gonna go any faster fwd and its just gonna shag the internal bits through excessive wear.

nova engines are 11+ years old - maybe strong but aint as refined as modern engines

Dunno - maybe thats a bonus...

:roll:

mikeoxford
22-04-03, 11:14 PM
i always change between 3 and 4000 rpm

nov4
23-04-03, 12:00 AM
at 40mph you should be in 3rd, then changing up at about 50 (maxish) to 4th.

bollocks! my m8 used 2 take his 1200 carb'd nova up2 just over 70mph in third, the carb'd engines rev nicely, and are strong! the only thing stopping it rev more is the distributor, it wil pack up if it is over-revved. dont be such a pu55y! lol. no offence. he didnt do it all the time, just once in a while BTW

nov4
23-04-03, 12:02 AM
at 40mph you should be in 3rd, then changing up at about 50 (maxish) to 4th.

woopsy! dont use this forum often. sorri

80LL0ks! my m8 used 2 take his 1200 carb'd nova up2 just over 70mph in third, the carb'd engines rev nicely, and are strong! the only thing stopping it rev more is the distributor, it wil pack up if it is over-revved. dont be such a pu55y! lol. no offence. he didnt do it all the time, just once in a while BTW

Dicko
23-04-03, 12:10 PM
nice to say when you change gear but.............

this isnt helping to get his car fixed is it.

did the garage actually tell you what the problem was, when they just says '; this is serious they usually folow with, 'erm we ll mate we can fix it for ???? which is cheap if u book it in now and pap cash'

these are pretty simple engines, its usualy down to fuel/timing unless the head gaskets gone or something along those lines

Ste_Nova
23-04-03, 01:27 PM
1.2i with 4 speed box will do 85mph on the limiter in 3rd :lol: