PDA

View Full Version : Laquer

joeczucha
18-04-03, 12:19 AM
Sprayed mirrors and door handles - plastikoted em, primed and sprayed (3 coats of each, 24 hours to dry) then 3 coats of Laquer. How long does this take to harden? I was expecting a hard finish that wouldn't mark (coz i'm planning to do my bumpers in the same way and don't want them chipping) but it seems to mark really easily - like if i stroke it with my findernail... unless the mark will wash off when i wash them?

I'm confused i want a good finish! The look prime at first but then little speckles begin to appear... J

Fester
19-04-03, 01:45 AM
i think the speckles may be silicon residue or something to do with the plastic making the paint not stick to it properly or something

ade will know more on this m8

thai
20-04-03, 07:06 PM
painting plastics is not to bad aslong as you prime the with a good plastic primer the paint will stick . plastasised paint takes longer to harden we bake all our cars an d plastisised ones allways take longer to dry .
the spekels may be micro blisters did the paint flash of properly in between coats

ade
21-04-03, 02:51 PM
agree with above -

plasticote? isnt this enamel based? Some lacquers will react with enamel based paints.

Its prob gonna either be very small specs of dust, micro blisters or silicone (fish eye - looks like a very small "O" with a spec in the middle - spec being the dust/silicone particle)

If yer painting plastic bits make you degrease them, use plastic primer, then smooth, then top coat (3 layers 10 mins or so between coats), then smooth then lacquer - same base of paint as top coat and primer (eg acrylic to acrylic, celly to celly 2pak to 2pak, enamel to enamel).

Between each stage, you should degrease the piece and use tack cloth (if you can) - and on the final top coat stick it somewhere warm like in the kitchen oven on very lowest setting for about 2 hours (warm oven up then turn down to lowest setting) - works for all items - I even had a 15" alloy (less rubber) in an oven.

I reckon its contimination - dust or silicone - see pic below of my bonnet edge (upside down)

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=703

Ade

novax
26-04-03, 07:56 PM
You should have used ordinary Halfords type paint if you were goiny to laquer them.

1 coat primer
2 coats paint
2 coats laquer is what I've always done and has lasted for years.

I think you'll end up rubbing it all down and starting again......

Aragorn
28-04-03, 01:18 PM
plasticote is acrylic paint

did u use plasticote lacquer tho?

i found the plasticote lacquer/sealer seems to react with some of their OWN paints - infact it totally fucked one spray job i did using a metallic plasticote paint that stressed on the can that lacquer MUST be used to preserve finish :x

maybe try some halfords lacquer on it instead of the plasticote stuff

and another point

if u used the proper color for your car (ie in halfords spray can) it would look better cos the color would match properly