PDA

View Full Version : MK4 astra rear coilovers

Stuart
22-03-10, 12:43 PM
(cant get on the astra related forums at work lol)

Would the mounts for the rear dampers on a MK4 astra take the weight of the car properly given that the car is not stripped and gets used like a normal car... IE I'm fed up of snapped rear springs and coilovers would fix that problem, but cant fit them if the mounts cant take the load.

let_nova
22-03-10, 12:48 PM
i would say it would take the load. not like the build quality is like the nova.

Stuart
22-03-10, 01:02 PM
ohh got my man on the inside to enquire about some nice custom made std rated springs in silicone steel :) nicely

let_nova
22-03-10, 01:06 PM
nice. didnt realise the rear springs were prone to breaking on them

Stuart
22-03-10, 01:11 PM
its happened 2-3 times while I've owned it (vaux and aftermarket springs), and its reasonably common according to the mot chap.

Adam
22-03-10, 03:19 PM
i would say it would take the load. not like the build quality is like the nova.
Hmm, the only thing is on the rear of the astra they are kind of weird how nothing holds the damper, but the bolt..
I.e. not like on a nova where the damper sits inside a double plate thing mounted on the beam..... The damper just sits at the side of the beam with a bolt holding it.....

Ok the bolt does look like it would take a **** load of force/weight, but might be something bear in mind.

BTW, ive never had a broken spring on mine,yet lol

Stuart
22-03-10, 03:45 PM
mr GAZ is looking at getting me some std spec springs made with a hint of quality put into the mix lol.

Andy
22-03-10, 06:45 PM
its happened 2-3 times while I've owned it (vaux and aftermarket springs), and its reasonably common according to the mot chap.
had mine nearly 2 years and my dads had his 5 and no problems,and our roads are like a tarmac motoX track lol

draper
22-03-10, 06:56 PM
Hmm, the only thing is on the rear of the astra they are kind of weird how nothing holds the damper, but the bolt..
I.e. not like on a nova where the damper sits inside a double plate thing mounted on the beam..... The damper just sits at the side of the beam with a bolt holding it.....

Ok the bolt does look like it would take a **** load of force/weight, but might be something bear in mind.

BTW, ive never had a broken spring on mine,yet lol

slightly off topic BUT what coilovers did you put on your astra adam ?

i know i asked you before but i cant find the thread lol

Adam
22-03-10, 07:38 PM
Raceland ones from Ze Germans. Top notch, cost me about £150 delivered. And its quite slammed, still drives well too :cool:

draper
22-03-10, 07:42 PM
Raceland ones from Ze Germans. Top notch, cost me about £150 delivered. And its quite slammed, still drives well too :cool:

theres a guy selling a set for my vectra for 130delivered and im toying with the idea of buying them

but really should buy nova type stuff :roll:

Adam
22-03-10, 07:43 PM
Novas are gay

Stuart
22-03-10, 09:20 PM
GAZ do a good price for MK4 stuff ;) just not rears lol