PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a turbo reconditioned

Welsh Dan
22-03-10, 10:51 AM
..in the north west?

My VNT mechanism is sticking so I'm looking for somewhere to send it off/take it to, to get it sorted. Can anyone recommend somewhere please?

Ta.

rallycraig
22-03-10, 04:49 PM
Hi, I run The Turbo Centre & Garage ltd in derby, we can do this for £180 plus vat. give me a call on 01332 202100 or 07976 642746

Stuart
22-03-10, 04:51 PM
Countvauxalot might be able to help

skyinsurance
22-03-10, 04:57 PM
Countvauxalot might be able to help

As above, seems like a helpful chap to me and work in the world of turbos..

username: Count Vaux Alot

Having said that, £180+vat aint a bad price either, assuming it can be refurbed.

Stuart
22-03-10, 05:02 PM
and assuming profit form the advertising for 'free' on here is recycled back into the club.... lol

the rally blokey not countvauxalot

Welsh Dan
22-03-10, 05:07 PM
www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/Drivbiwire_VNT_repair_procedure_small.pdf

It doesn't look like an impossible job. I found that guide on tdiclub.com. I'm tempted to have a go myself from looking at that.

rallycraig
22-03-10, 07:12 PM
It is a fairly straight forward job, we can normally knock out 7-10 a day, though looking through that guide, its a bit of a rough arsed approach.
you'll get a much more reliable job by blasting the ex housing, variants etc.

Ben
22-03-10, 07:17 PM
TBH looking through that guide does make it look pretty straight forward but also looks quite fiddly and delicate, i think id rather pay the money and have the peace of mind if its cocked up you can throw it back through the shop window if it went wrong.

Count Vaux Alot
22-03-10, 10:42 PM
www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/Drivbiwire_VNT_repair_procedure_small.pdf (http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/Drivbiwire_VNT_repair_procedure_small.pdf)

It doesn't look like an impossible job. I found that guide on tdiclub.com. I'm tempted to have a go myself from looking at that.

LMAO at that guide that will be fooked again in no time, i've seen better ones come in for repair than the finished item in that guide - i would recomend you look at problem before cure ie whats caused your vnt jam?...also they obviously arn't all in a diy repairable condition so if you take yours to bits you may not be able to fix it yourself.

IMO i wouldn't bother with the diy option.

Craig what balancing machine do you use? And what do you get for your £180? is the repair warranted?

Dan If you are interested in a quote for repair or just some advice then please follow the link in my sig to our website :thumb:

Welsh Dan
22-03-10, 11:12 PM
I phoned your place for a quote this afternoon Count :).

So far as I can tell, its been caused by a previously sticky EGR valve (now cleaned), too many short journeys and not enough RPM.

Which courier service do you guys use for the turbos? I can imagine the whole setup being pretty heavy with the cast iron manifold.

I'm now leaning towards taking the turbo off myself and shipping it off. Time to dust off the credit card methinks.

Count Vaux Alot
23-03-10, 01:34 PM
We use interlink for most of our stuff but can use any courier we arrange collr#ection of your unit and the return of the repaired unit for you,all for £15

Mike
23-03-10, 01:36 PM
Xenophobiak was a user on here a long time ago.

rallycraig
23-03-10, 01:59 PM
craig, what balancing machine do you use? And what do you get for your £180? is the repair warranted?

we use schenck & TMI machines, with full workshop/diagnostic facilitys allowing us to remove/refit the units ourselves, some cases while you wait too! The £180 is just the vnt repair, the CHRA stays untouched, unless it needs a rebuild, in which case its £350 plus vat for a full exchange unit. yes, all our work has a 12 month, unlimited mileage warranty. Yeah, the guide made me giggle too, thats a very early unit he's repairing!

Welsh Dan
23-03-10, 02:52 PM
We use interlink for most of our stuff but can use any courier we arrange collr#ection of your unit and the return of the repaired unit for you,all for £15

Thats cool, what's your average turnaround at the moment?

Xenophobiak was a user on here a long time ago.

That's my old username :).

Eastham
23-03-10, 03:03 PM
I used turbo force in preston for my kkk k16. www.turboforce.co.uk
Got my own kit so i blagged them to leave the VAT out. So they did it for £180

Count Vaux Alot
23-03-10, 04:47 PM
I used turbo force in preston for my kkk k16. www.turboforce.co.uk (http://www.turboforce.co.uk)
Got my own kit so i blagged them to leave the VAT out. So they did it for £180

Good luck with that lol

Count Vaux Alot
23-03-10, 04:48 PM
Thats cool, what's your average turnaround at the moment?

2-3 days depending on how funked it is or not :thumb:

Welsh Dan
23-03-10, 05:07 PM
If the price for repair would exceed the cost of a refurb unit, would you offer me a refurb unit instead?

rallycraig
23-03-10, 06:16 PM
If the price for repair would exceed the cost of a refurb unit, would you offer me a refurb unit instead?

Think any company would:thumb:

Count Vaux Alot
23-03-10, 06:46 PM

Yes of course, you would be consulted before any action was taken.

Eastham
23-03-10, 09:07 PM
Bearing in mind it was just the seals that had gone on mine

SR-Rally
23-03-10, 10:25 PM
i used essex turbos for my 56 transit. got a brand new turbo not a recon for 395 plus vat :) they had 2 brand new ones on the shelf and i blagged one for same price as refurbed one.