PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Noise...?

vaughanmc
21-03-10, 10:33 PM
Got an annoying noise coming from the Nova - Front passenger side I think it's coming from

When you pull away, lay off the throttle and sometimes when you brake theres a rather loud clunk noise (Only does it the once if you pull away and up through each gear)

Pull away in 1st when the car takes up drive...CLUNK

2nd, 3rd and 4th (Clunk each time)

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas what it could be

Just went through a legit MOT there with no advisories on anything but my thoughts are it could be a Ball Joint ?

Cheers for any help

Vaughan

comptoncj
21-03-10, 10:34 PM
driveshaft?

vaughanmc
21-03-10, 10:35 PM
Hmm not sure mate...I'll need to jack it up and have a look on Thursday

comptoncj
21-03-10, 10:37 PM
yeah jack it up and move it back and forward a bit and see if it clicks bad, could also be the rear engine/gearbox mount.

vaughanmc
21-03-10, 10:38 PM
That would be a more central noise though, wouldn't it ?

Definately coming from the passenger front

comptoncj
21-03-10, 10:39 PM
hmmm yeah suppose it would be lol

l1nuxxx
21-03-10, 10:43 PM
Could be a driveshaft. I had a similar noise on my 205 and it was the caliper sliders needing greased up. Gave me all the signs of a driveshaft and the brakes were still good but it was catching when I pulled away and giving me a knocking noise aswell when I turned a certain way.

Bottom ball joint?
Anti roll bar bush?
Shock Top Mount?
Buckled Wheel?

Good thing is stuff on a Nova is about 10p to replace.
I also know a scrappie that has just got a nice MK1 Merit in.

vaughanmc
21-03-10, 10:45 PM
Bottom ball joint is what I suspect but I'm no expert

It would have failed the MOT with any the rest because any slight play in a bush would fail, would it no ?

peester
21-03-10, 10:50 PM
shaft.. ahh

l1nuxxx
21-03-10, 10:51 PM
Yeah i think play in the ball joint will fail. I knocking driveshaft wouldn't fail unless it's really bad as I asked the garage that did my 205 before hand to find out. I think if you jack the car up and wobble the wheelup and down if there is any play in the ball joint you will notice.

It's annoying because it's a game of guess and check and a lot of the time you can't make it do it when its jacked up because it only happens with the weight of the car on it.

AlexW
21-03-10, 10:51 PM
Not always, my corsa has just passed the mot with a completely funked front bush.

Id say CV, that or driveshaft splines have broke under the emmense power of a 1.2.

chrisnieldgte
21-03-10, 11:27 PM
sounds like gbox mount matey, or have a look at ARB if youve got one, on my old SR it rotted at the mounting point and knocked liked 4ook

let_nova
21-03-10, 11:30 PM
tiebar bush? snapped spring? balljont?

dougie_boi
22-03-10, 10:02 AM
sounds like the gearbox mount mate

vaughanmc
22-03-10, 06:22 PM
Had a wee look there at the car - Ball Joint seems OK and there's no play in the wheel that I can see

Also tried rocking the engine and box back and forward on their mounts and there doesn't seem any strange play or noises there either

I'm stumped with this one...

Southie
22-03-10, 06:25 PM
I've just had this on mine and it was the antiroll bar bush on the driverside nearest the front, also my steering rack bushes had worked themselves slightly loose.

Annie
22-03-10, 06:25 PM
Got an annoying noise coming from the Nova - Front passenger side I think it's coming from...

you sure it isnt your girlfriend??

vaughanmc
22-03-10, 06:26 PM
Positive...!

Southie
22-03-10, 06:29 PM
Positive...!

Was on mine. Get a pry bar on the roll bar whilst jacked up and give everything a good prodding/levering to see if there's any movement.

Still could be a top mount though.

vaughanmc
22-03-10, 06:31 PM
Mine doesn't have a front ARB either...Or do you mean the tiebar ? Seems to be like a clunking noise as if your pulling back/putting strain on the tiebar then letting go (Laying off the throttle) on the tiebar as well

But wouldn't that have failed the MOT as well ?

Southie
22-03-10, 06:40 PM
Mine was the antiroll bar as I have one fitted.

If you've got concerns with it the I'd take it back to the mot station and see what they say.

novaa
22-03-10, 11:35 PM
it could be the diff in the gearbox

daverobson
23-03-10, 12:04 AM
i would say cv joint, if not mount maybe, tho it could be any of the above so check them as. put hand brank on and try and pull away if knocks than could be mount, if you can get in whilst driving (say in second) with hard braking/accelracting than could be cv joint.

craig green
23-03-10, 02:53 PM
IMO its the tie bar loose at one end, either the bracket to cross member or the ball joint end where it bolts to the TCA. That oviously means a worn ball joint would have the same effect.

Have you not had both sides jacked up & heaved on the wheel in all directions (incl fore & aft) to make them move?
It could be offside being felt through nearside aswell.

vaughanmc
23-03-10, 05:23 PM
It doesn't have any feeling to it just a noise when you pull away or lay off the throttle like a loud click/clunk noise

Doesn't sound like a CV Joint as they click from lock to lock ?

AlexW
23-03-10, 05:38 PM
Dont always click, ive seen one shreed the splines and that clunked.

Personally i think its something lose.

craig green
23-03-10, 05:39 PM
I had similar & it was a loose caliper bolt, but that kinda mainifested itself under breaking or reversing.

Try rolling the car back & forth with the foot brake applied, see if you can hear & spot or pinpoint the noise/movement with the bonnet up. You'll need a friend or 2 for this.