PDA

View Full Version : Crank end timing pulley bolt

nova_saloon
21-03-10, 08:29 PM
Im having a pig of a job trying to get this bolt off my c20xe, (male torx bolt) but i didnt want to put to much pressure before i deffinatly knew which way it comes off, Does it come off with the traditional lefty loosey (anti-clockwise), or is it a case of a righty loosey :confused: with this one. (so its countersunc) ? :thumb:

comptoncj
21-03-10, 08:32 PM
What engine is it on?

nova_saloon
21-03-10, 08:33 PM
edited whoops

Adam
21-03-10, 08:35 PM
Yes its a normal bolt/thread. Just done it to a fcuking mental tightness. Scaffold pole job tbh!!! Or a big breaker bar

nova_saloon
21-03-10, 08:38 PM
crum bums this one is rusted to fooooook! plus not only that the engine is out the car without a head with no flywheel. just bought the bottom end the other day to start rebuilding and already a nice speed hump. But i already got a flywheel coming should be here thursday thoughl. But as long as i know which way to loosen is the main thing. What they tightened up to then?

Adam
21-03-10, 08:39 PM
200+ lb/ft i think.

Jam a piece of wood between the crank and the crankcase to stop it rotating

General Baxter
21-03-10, 08:39 PM
go down halfords and get some freeze spray, its £3 a can works wonders :)

nova_saloon
21-03-10, 08:42 PM
Cheers General! and adam. thats a good idea. and as its wood it shouldnt bugger anything, just got to now hold the engine still!

auzzy-b
21-03-10, 09:08 PM
tap the bolt with a hammer to 'shock' it then heat with a blow torch and use a very long pole (as adam said) its a pain but it worked for me!

Alanmc
21-03-10, 09:13 PM
Get a loan of a cordless impact gun and it'll be off in no time if not you might need to put a bit of heat into it then hit it with the gun mate, make sure the battery is fully charged in the impact gun first though, thats what i use everyday and i haven't had a crank bolt yet that wont come out with the wee bit of heat the last resort HTH

nova_saloon
21-03-10, 09:16 PM
much appreciated, Impact gun i will gets. blow torch i will find, block of wood to jam, and a cuppa tea for the celebreations!

Rich
21-03-10, 10:42 PM
block of wood jammed in, breaker bar witha scaffolding pole on the end to get mine undone!

Of get some good heat in it, will still need to lock the crank. Air/impact gun didnt work for me

MattBrown
21-03-10, 10:45 PM
Get a loan of a cordless impact gun and it'll be off in no time if not you might need to put a bit of heat into it then hit it with the gun mate, make sure the battery is fully charged in the impact gun first though, thats what i use everyday and i haven't had a crank bolt yet that wont come out with the wee bit of heat the last resort HTH

If you have air borrow a big windy gun, just make sure the bit is right on the bolt so you don't sheer the head:thumb:

Nobby
21-03-10, 11:09 PM
yeah mate as said at my work (we rebuild engines) we try the snap on battery gun 1st. if not wack a socket on to shock it and get a block of wood or use a bar and put cloth round it between the crank and the bores and get someone to hold it and usually hey presto. Iveco van crank bolts arnt fun!

Ian_Gsi16v
21-03-10, 11:28 PM
I remember this bolt when I got my first redtop a few years ago, real pain in the ass.

iirc I jammed a piece of wood against the flywheel into the floor and had my was swinging on my crack bar.

nova_saloon
22-03-10, 01:17 AM
yay cant wait to give it ago. Wont be for a few days now, But never minds! but sounds like a lot of jamming and a lot of long bars. this could get intresting!

The Simps
22-03-10, 10:09 AM
go down halfords and get some freeze spray, its £3 a can works wonders :)

I concur with this, how I got mine out. Loctite freeze spray. Same principle as heating it up but less hassle.

If you've not got a huge breaker bar or scafofold pole lying round, a jack handle over your ratchet always work well.