PDA

View Full Version : Making smoked rear lights?

BC
17-04-03, 02:36 PM
I have heard that you can by spray paint that you spray you back lights with to give it the smoked effect?

is this true and if so where can i get some from

cheers for your help

BC :)

bish
17-04-03, 02:41 PM
not sure where its cheapest but you can get it on www.speeding.co.uk

Nova-Boy
17-04-03, 02:56 PM
What colour car have you got? Yeah you can get in spray tins and yeah it does give a smoked effect. You can also get it in various colours. I keep banging on about Red lights cos you only need to do your indicators and reverse and looks well!! Much cheaper than buying smoked or red lights.

I got mine from demon tweeks last year and was about ?12.

Although at the motor factors in my town they are now doing it in bigger tins fior ?9!!!

James B
19-04-03, 08:00 PM
if you want smoked lights get a pair of your mrs's black tights and stretch them round

dont look too bad - although personally not my style :?

ade
21-04-03, 03:02 PM
specially if you ladder them!

:oops:

be careful of spray tinting stuff - if applied too thick, you wont see the lights when you apply the brakes - and the bussies will pull you!

You'll also fail yer MOT!

Only need a couple of thin coats

Anton
21-04-03, 03:46 PM
are coloured ones illegal?

e.g light red - red car, light blue - blue car

Jim
21-04-03, 04:28 PM
are coloured ones illegal?

e.g light red - red car, light blue - blue car

Provided when the lights are activated enough light is passed through the paint, they shouldn't be classed as illegal.

Jim

Wiggie
21-04-03, 06:56 PM
my and me brova wer thinking a way of makin the clear/smoked rear clusters. we thought of using this film stuff for fogging bathroom windows...anyone ever tried anything like this?

Nova-Boy
22-04-03, 09:23 AM
Tights! WTF :o . Dont do them too tinted or they look pants! I followed an AX with black lights and the tint spray had run and it was that bad you could hardly see the light or indicators when they were on. Not Legal!!

Fester
22-04-03, 02:52 PM
yeah the tint spray can look really right or really wrong, still if youre doing it with standard spec clusters it could pay to try something massive out, it wont be much to buy some more if it goes wrong and theres enough in the tins for a fair few goes

Nova-Boy
22-04-03, 03:07 PM
:D Yeah i have got a spare set off a scrapper incase they bust me on my MOT for having a Red reverse light or something!! :lol:

ade
23-04-03, 12:10 AM
just remember if you cant see the brake lights on a car with excessive smokled lights and someone runs into you coz trhey didnt see them come on - and they aint declared on insurance, then you wont be covered and coz of the age of the car it'll prob be written off.

Clear ones are better anyway...IMO

Nova-Flair
23-04-03, 01:23 AM
eva considered a nice set of euro clusters? they look well sexy and r 100% legal.

if you r set on spraying them tho make sure u only apply very thin coat evenly. there is nothing worse than poorly sprayed light clusters.

Wiggie
23-04-03, 09:54 AM
eva considered a nice set of euro clusters? they look well sexy and r 100% legal.

with out sounding to asleep, what are euro clusters?

Wigs

Jules
23-04-03, 04:03 PM
Euro clusters -
Rear lenses from a mainland european left hand drive Nova (Corsa A).
The reason for fitting these (or just one of these to be more precise) is because they have the rear fog / reverse lights on the other side from what UK Novas do - Due to them being LHD cars.
Most people get a LHD passenger side (Our drivers side) on which will have a red fog lens at the bottom instead of a clear reverse lens.
If you were to do this you could then do a simply bit of re-wiring and have twin fog lights at the rear, you don't have to have reverse lights by law so it would be fine come MoT time (But if you do have reverse lights then they must work).

Phil GTE
11-05-03, 11:18 PM
euro clusters - fog versions look really good

i smoked my old clusters and got through a few MOTs - never had 1 problem, its not the colour of the cluster but the light they emit thats important

smoke paint means only a few light coats, but it will have a bigger effect than you think. i did mine because i had a GTE tailgate and the ba;ck lights blended intot he vynal and looked really nice

but now i have a flush tailgate, clears look a lot fresher

but im thinking, why use nova rear clusters? i may try lexus style from another car

novamark
12-05-03, 11:43 AM
i dont fink lexus style would go very well on nova's i think maybe white and red, like m3 style, theres that blue one on blue 17s thats got them and it looks really classy.

?Marty?
12-05-03, 05:12 PM
I was going to flush the tailgate completely (over the lights too - like Dan did on his), but rather than Focus style rear cluster pods (as on Dans), i was going to weld in the flat panels with the twin recessed round lights off the Fiat Coupe.

Though i can't be arsed with the Nova at all now. Just want it re-sprayed and sold.

bfuller
12-05-03, 09:53 PM
stick a bit of light smoke window film on the lights, it looks really good and will pass the mot still, as long as you use light smoke

novamark
13-05-03, 09:13 AM
why u wanna sell ur car marty? u got any pics of it?

?Marty?
13-05-03, 05:36 PM
Haven't got any pics mate (except from when i just got it and put 17's on AGES ago. It's in the bodyshop now, so will get some taken when i get it back).

Just can't be bothered with it anymore. I've been having A LOT of probs with it being constantly vandalised, so have decided against taking it as far as i originally wanted (it's still modified a lot inside and out, etc - but just not as much as i originally intended). But even in the state it will be in, it'll attract even more unwanted attention than before, so i may have to sell it before it gets trashed again.

novamark
14-05-03, 09:11 AM
fcuking vandals. thats well gay, uy having to change ur car coz of pricks like that. when will the car be out of the shop??

?Marty?
14-05-03, 02:11 PM
(pissin every one off by using this as a pm system :o ):

Don't know mate. I've been told 'should have it back by end of this week' and ringing up on wed saying 'is it done yet' and being told 'should have it back by start of next week' for WEEKS now! :lol: Sometime soon.

Though i'm glad it's been delayed, as some wanker has gone down my street a few days ago and spraypainted lines on a few cars! Could have been mine. :evil: