PDA

View Full Version : Removing stering rack and brack servo

nova 2L 16V
21-03-10, 01:30 PM
Would like some help on how to fully remove the stering rack and brake survo as im stripping the shell ber, any advice and pics will be greatfull.

Ernie
21-03-10, 02:29 PM
To remove the brake servo/m/c.
undo all the unions on the m/c undo the wire on the cap and then undo the 2 13mm bolts on the back.
Then from inside the passenger side undo the lock pin and take the pin out.
The unist should remove out the engine bay.
Once that is out the way go to the drivers side foot well and you will see a 13mm bolt at the bottom of the steering collum flexy joint.
Undo the one nearest to the car body then move to the engine bay.
If the engine/gearbox is out this will be easy if not can be a bit fiddely.
Support the car on axel stands and undo the track rod ends and remove from the hubs.
Then undo the 4 13mm bolts holding the rack to the car and remove from car.
Job done.

AlexW
21-03-10, 03:32 PM
Ernie the brake servo etc is slighty wrong, Personally i remove the brake pipes, and then go inside and remove the pin after removing the split pin. Then unbolt the 4 nuts. Then the Master cylinder, servo and the bracket come off easy.

nova 2L 16V
21-03-10, 07:21 PM
Thanx the brake suro Im now ok with, but the rack Im a bit confused. no engine in bay so easy access, I have removed the 13mm bolt near the driver side and all 4 bolts that hold the rack in place but it just slides on the bar thats joining it to the steering colum. The 13mm bolt I take it that just tightens the rack to the colum?

AlexW
21-03-10, 07:36 PM
That bolt has to come right out.

nova 2L 16V
21-03-10, 07:59 PM
I see Im sure Iv only removed the nut lol thanx