PDA

View Full Version : Driving Test

Dave.
19-03-10, 11:45 PM
Im hopefully booking the first of my lessons this weekend :d

Im 17 on 17th of May, that gives me around 4 weeks to pass my test to go to PVS in the Nova on my own

My query is, how "hard" is it to pass your test? Ive been driving cars since i was 8, ive got no problem with clutch control, parking etc etc, but im just wondering how many lessons etc is average?

I really would like to pass before PVS, but i really dont want to drive in with my L plates on :(

MK999
19-03-10, 11:51 PM
I picked up clutch control etc very quickly, but didn't pass til I was 20 because of breaks from lessons for exams/money reasons etc lol It's different for everyone, you'll be ready when you're ready, go for 2 hour lessons if you can as you don't spend half of it talking about the lesson/getting in the car etc that way, and if you want to pass before PVS I'd book a test soon as you have your license through, as waiting list is normally around that length.

IIRC the 'average' is something like 35 hours of lessons

muzzy
19-03-10, 11:53 PM
I passed after about 6 lessons but had been driving cars on farms etc from quite young. Main thing they go on about is checking your mirrors, your instructor will drum this into you from the start.

MK999
19-03-10, 11:55 PM
Yeah basically don't spend long looking where you're actually going lol

Dave.
19-03-10, 11:56 PM
Haha! quality!

Im hopefully going to get about 10 lessons in, and then my test, but i seriously have no idea how lonmg the test list is :(

muzzy
19-03-10, 11:58 PM
I think you can check dates on the DSA website, not certain though.

MK999
19-03-10, 11:58 PM
Haha! quality!

Im hopefully going to get about 10 lessons in, and then my test, but i seriously have no idea how lonmg the test list is :(

2 manoeuvres and about 30mins of driving, it's not a test list as such, it's a list of fcuk ups with tick boxes next to them, and it's one side of A4 lol

In all honesty though chances are you're going to need longer than that to get out of bad habits you've picked up from driving previously, "driving test" is a somewhat misleading title, as being good at driving cars has little to do with it.

Dave.
20-03-10, 12:01 AM
2 manoeuvres and about 30mins of driving, it's not a test list as such, it's a list of fcuk ups with tick boxes next to them, and it's one side of A4 lol

In all honesty though chances are you're going to need longer than that to get out of bad habits you've picked up from driving previously, "driving test" is a somewhat misleading title, as being good at driving cars has little to do with it.

I meant the driving test waiting list dude lol

muzzy
20-03-10, 12:01 AM
Bad habits are something I would have a massive problem with if I ever had to sit my test again.

MK999
20-03-10, 12:02 AM
I meant the driving test waiting list dude lol

Oh that one lol Can check dates on DSA site but only with a valid license number etc etc, it's around 4 weeks here.

Bad habits are something I would have a massive problem with if I ever had to sit my test again.

Everyone would I think, very rarely do you see someone who drives all the time how they would in a test, some of it is a tad ridiculous at times

Jackroadkill
20-03-10, 12:02 AM
It's just to make sure that you know akk the rules of the road, really, and that you can observe them for half an hour or so.

muzzy
20-03-10, 12:04 AM
Try keep your nerves under control when you come to do your test, a good few of my friends failed because they made stupid little mistakes that they would never have done had they not been doing they're test.

mowgli
20-03-10, 12:12 AM
get your theory booked for on your birthday. get that out of the way asap, then the driving test can be booked asap.

Lee
20-03-10, 12:15 AM
Without being a killjoy, I doubt you will do it in 4 weeks. Even if you were the most amazing driver in the world EVAR, you have to get on a waiting list for your theory, pass it, and then get on a waiting list for your practical. I dont know what the waiting lists are like around your way, but a kiddie who's working for us at the mo just put in for his theory test and there's a 4 week wait.

And as mentioned before, IMO the fact you've been driving since you were 8 isn't so much of an advantage, you will have picked up a load of habits that you will find harder to get out of rather than learning from scratch.

I was exactly the same, I could reverse park an articulated lorry at 15, but when it came to properly learning to drive I was terrible for forgetting mirror checks and crossing hands (not sure if this rule has been relaxed now though), as well as the dreaded method they keep changing for coming to a stop (I learned from my dad you slow down using the gears, but when I was learning that was a massive no no). Lets face it, when you go for a rag around the yard, are you checking all your mirrors and doing a shoulder check before you pull away, and then checking each mirror in the correct order before you change direction or speed (yes, you have to check mirrors before you do ANYTHING, including scratching your nose!)

I stepped into a car at 17 knowing exactly how to make one move off and stop, and how to go around corners. It took me 20 lessons to actually be in a position to pass my test.

Jack
20-03-10, 10:52 AM
And as mentioned before, IMO the fact you've been driving since you were 8 isn't so much of an advantage, you will have picked up a load of habits that you will find harder to get out of rather than learning from scratch.
I stepped into a car at 17 knowing exactly how to make one move off and stop, and how to go around corners. It took me 20 lessons to actually be in a position to pass my test.
Exactly that.

The problem is people think of it as "learning to drive". Its not. Its "learning to pass a test". You need to be able to drive how THEY want you to drive, and thats what the lessons teach you.

...which IMO is wrong, as instead of teaching you how to handle the car in current situations and modern roads/traffic, you get taught how to bimble along and get in everyone's way. This is partly why new drivers have such high insurance premiums, because as soon as they pass and get into their own car they try to drive like everyone else on the road - forgetting that we've all been doing it for xyz number of years - and promptly fcuk up.

muzzy
20-03-10, 11:00 AM
Exactly that.

The problem is people think of it as "learning to drive". Its not. Its "learning to pass a test". You need to be able to drive how THEY want you to drive, and thats what the lessons teach you.

...which IMO is wrong, as instead of teaching you how to handle the car in current situations and modern roads/traffic, you get taught how to bimble along and get in everyone's way. This is partly why new drivers have such high insurance premiums, because as soon as they pass and get into their own car they try to drive like everyone else on the road - forgetting that we've all been doing it for xyz number of years - and promptly fcuk up.

Completely agree, if they taught you how to actually drive and the test was more extensive then it would help to stop people who aren't actually of a good enough standard (yet) to be on the road. Some brilliant drivers probably fail the test all the time and terrible ones pass no problem. There's more to driving than reversing round corner's and parking, 99% can only be learnt through experience but IMO there is more that can be added to the test to help people become decent drivers before they are let onto the roads on they're own.

Nova_Tek
20-03-10, 11:26 AM
I passed my test in 13 lessons total of 15 hours with the instructor. My dad started teaching me the basics when I was 16. Stuff like clutch control and manouvers.

But tis very true, if you've driven for a long time you'll be picking up so many bad habbits that are considered 'mistakes'. In the real world everyone makes them but when in a test they will pick up on it sharpish. You really need to drive like a :tard: and blank your mind. Emphasis is always on mirrors. Check mirrors before doing anything. And make sure you show that you are checking.

It took me a few lessons to forget crossing hands and one hand on the gear stick lol but I passed first time with only 3 minors so I was happy. Thought I was gonna fail as my examiner was a woman in her 50's.

Jack
20-03-10, 11:29 AM
I remember the government proposing changes to the driving lesson format where you had to complete a set number of hours before you were considered qualified to even just take the test. It was shot down though as it would have been too expensive for most learners.

I think they should make the driving test cheaper, but split it into stages. Stage one could be basic car control, reversing round corners all that bollocks. Stage two could be taken after xyz number of hours on public roads, and just a simple drive round town to show an examiner you can handle traffic etc. Stage three could be more "advanced" stuff, again available after further xyz number of hours behind the wheel - night driving, motorway driving etc, (which is currently not part of the test!) although motorway driving could be tough for people in the likes of Cornwall or Dorset lol Maybe have different licenses for each stage that restrict a driver's vehicle or what not depending on what stage they've completed.

It amazes me the number of people I come across (not like that) who say things like "Oh, I don't drive on motorways, they scare me". These aren't all young people either, some of them have been driving for years.

muzzy
20-03-10, 11:33 AM
I don't ever drive on motorways because the nearest one is 100+ miles away but you still need to know how to do it as some day you may have to drive on one and you can't go along like a complete idiot getting in people's way. I think car control in ice/snow etc should come into the test or lessons along with night driving, everyone has to do it at some point and it can be recreated to an extent in a skid pan or similar.

Ernie
20-03-10, 11:36 AM
I passed mine after 4 lessons but this was back in the day before we had round wheels and horse drawn carts lol.
Good luck mate and start learning as much as poss from the books/net.

Nova_Tek
20-03-10, 11:40 AM
I love driving on motorways, I find it less stressful tbh. They should do some motorway driving during lessons as it's something that people tend to be afraid of and panicing whilst driving is dangerous.

Welsh Dan
20-03-10, 04:57 PM
I love driving on motorways, I find it less stressful tbh. They should do some motorway driving during lessons as it's something that people tend to be afraid of and panicing whilst driving is dangerous.

I prefer it that way to every idiot and their mum/dad learning to drive on there though.

Andy
20-03-10, 05:08 PM
good luck.
But you will not be passed in time for pvs

L14MNP
20-03-10, 05:28 PM
As for driving on motorways, i don't see the big deal. It's just a bigger dual carrigeway (at worst). Nervous drivers make me lol.

Just the other night i was out with my mate in his Range Rover approaching red traffic lights in a two lane road, we moved to the outside lane as it was clear and the girl in a Citoren C2 with green P plates second in line in the inside lane proceeded to ram the car in front - after we made eye contact.
With a police Focus directly behind her. lol

I feel semi-guilty but it was still hillarious. A classic 'comedy bump' We were just joking a feew minutes earlier how funny it would be if she ballsed up.

novaload1992
20-03-10, 06:11 PM
You'll have to drive flawless your fist couple lessons if you are to convience your instuctor your ready for the test in about a month or else just put in for it in your own car.

If your farmer it will be no sweat all my m8 who are farmer pass in a month give or take. Obviously as they've been driving farm machinery for years it especially helps them for the manoeuvres :thumb:

vaughanmc
20-03-10, 06:14 PM
Took me 8 or 9 lessons I think to pass my test but I failed the theory the 1st time round by 1 mark!!!

Takes a wee while to get out your habits etc I wouldn't/didn't rush it

Adam
20-03-10, 06:16 PM
Without being a killjoy, I doubt you will do it in 4 weeks. Even if you were the most amazing driver in the world EVAR, you have to get on a waiting list for your theory, pass it, and then get on a waiting list for your practical. I dont know what the waiting lists are like around your way, but a kiddie who's working for us at the mo just put in for his theory test and there's a 4 week wait.

I was exactly the same, I could reverse park an articulated lorry at 15, but when it came to properly learning to drive I was terrible for forgetting mirror checks and crossing hands (not sure if this rule has been relaxed now though), as well as the dreaded method they keep changing for coming to a stop (I learned from my dad you slow down using the gears, but when I was learning that was a massive no no). Lets face it, when you go for a rag around the yard, are you checking all your mirrors and doing a shoulder check before you pull away, and then checking each mirror in the correct order before you change direction or speed (yes, you have to check mirrors before you do ANYTHING, including scratching your nose!)

I stepped into a car at 17 knowing exactly how to make one move off and stop, and how to go around corners. It took me 20 lessons to actually be in a position to pass my test. Couldnt of put it any better!!!
TBH being able to drive a car before even starting "driving" can be a disadvantage, because as said you will have a load of bad habits that may have been with you for years, which you will find hard to get rid of when you start properly driving.

Driving a car isnt difficult, but driving one to pass the driving test is a whole different game where you have to do a load of things that you will never do again onced youve passed lol lol

I could drive fine on my 1st lesson, never had a problem with stalling or anything, but it still took me 3 goes pass my test due to making stupid mistakes.......

Paul
20-03-10, 06:20 PM
I was 17 on the 3rd Dec, passed on the 9th January, so one month 6 days it took me, book your provisional for your birthday

dave watson
20-03-10, 06:26 PM
do youre theroy asap m8 and if you havnt alredy apply for youre provisional because that takes about a month and you carnt do anything with out it

Novaboi_1991
20-03-10, 06:41 PM
Practicle test is about 6-8 week waiting list mate.

i booked mine on the 10th of march... im not up for my test til the 22nd of april.

Paul
20-03-10, 06:54 PM
ring up twice a day everyday for cancellations