PDA

View Full Version : Painting garage floor

hc coupe
19-03-10, 03:01 PM
Hey,

Does anyone have any advise on this ?

What paint to use , Prep work ect ect.

Only want to do this once, so not looking for it to start peeling off within a month or two or sticking to my tyres lol .

Cheers

Tom :thumb:

L14MNP
19-03-10, 03:02 PM
First and foremost do you have a decent surface? Fresh concrete FTW. Seal it before any paint too.

Southie
19-03-10, 03:03 PM
This paint should do you CLICKYSCREWFIX (http://www.screwfix.com/prods/86567/Paint/Floor-Paints/Leyland-Heavy-Duty-Floor-Paint-2-5Ltr-Frigate-Grey?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Paint-_-Leyland%20Heavy-Duty%20Floor%20Paint%202.5Ltr%20Frigate%20Grey) :thumb:

GRUNT 16V
19-03-10, 03:03 PM
As Above Its Much Better To Clean Etc

Jon_nova1
19-03-10, 03:06 PM
epoxy it!

L14MNP
19-03-10, 03:07 PM
Rat it. lol

Southie
19-03-10, 03:08 PM
Also some other options/help on here which may help. CLICKY (http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6745)

Mattman
19-03-10, 03:09 PM
Rat it. lol

Rusted metal floor with stickers FTW lol

L14MNP
19-03-10, 03:10 PM
Won't be the best to lie on but at least you will be cool as fitting gearboxes to Rover 400's using scissor jacks. It's all about the pose remember.

hc coupe
19-03-10, 03:27 PM
Cheers,

I've only just moved into my new House, Looks like its been used as a dumping ground for it's whole life (circa 10 years)

Had a good sweep but hasn't really lifted all of the sh*t off it lol

L33 LEG
19-03-10, 03:29 PM
I bought some garage floor paint from screwfix and just painted it straight on. After about a year i touched it up and although it hasnt flaked off so much another year later i will be repainting it soon as its not very clean at the moment Lol

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/L33LEG/new%20house%20project/house0912.jpg

It's not the tyres that mess it up, it's the engine removals lol

hc coupe
19-03-10, 03:30 PM
Southie :

Thanks alot for the effort !!

Scrolling through your links.

Great help !

Regards

Tom

(Your PM box is full btw)

hc coupe
19-03-10, 03:31 PM
L33 LEG ,

I did find that image looking through your WIP.

After a very similar finish myself

L33 LEG
19-03-10, 03:36 PM
It's not perfect by any means but for what it is and used for it does the job. I wouldnt bother going to the trouble in getting the floor perfect beforehand. If you dont do much work on your car then id expect it to stay fine for a few years. Before it was full of crap (which reminds me that i still need to clear it all out Lol) i used to wash it down monthly and really did look as good as the day i first painted it.

As said i bought mine from screwfix, B&Q and most other places do it and all very similar prices. Just remember that itl take a good few days to dry fully and dont paint yourself into a corner and get stuck lol

Southie
19-03-10, 03:58 PM
Southie :

Thanks alot for the effort !!

Scrolling through your links.

Great help !

Regards

Tom

(Your PM box is full btw)

Not a problem. Also emptied my PM box, thanks. :)

General Baxter
19-03-10, 04:06 PM
oh noes, someone else has stolen your plate, looks like the leccy meter wants a go lol

Mike
19-03-10, 04:39 PM
Sweep the garage out, then sweep it out AGAIN :thumb:
If its a proper nasty grimy floor then wash it down with some form of degreaser or even sugar soap an yard broom.
Make SURE the floor is perfectly dry before paint.
Dont entertain cretinus cheap floor paint, itll wear quick time, go for some proper 2 pack epoxy stuff.

I get all mine from a company called Jotun, who specialize in industrial finish's. 13litres of paint, 2 litres of hardener. Its fire proof, fuel proof, acid & alkali proof. Just not fool proof, you have to dreg the entire 2 litre of hardener out else it catalyts poorly an can flake off when wet/damp.

Cheeze
19-03-10, 05:15 PM
when i done mine i used a neoprene primer from F Ball, if you pop into any major flooring shop they shoud be able to help you.

Its a green liquid that we use before screeding floors for coverings

Mike
19-03-10, 05:18 PM
And if your really picky you might want to self level the floor first (proper peice of pish job tbh)

vaughanmc
19-03-10, 05:20 PM
I bought some garage floor paint from screwfix and just painted it straight on. After about a year i touched it up and although it hasnt flaked off so much another year later i will be repainting it soon as its not very clean at the moment

Done pretty much the same as you - Might get a touch up once the cars in there are back on their wheels :thumb: Seems to have lasted so far

brainsnova
19-03-10, 06:24 PM
paint a big hole in the floor to make it scary