PDA

View Full Version : sand paper and primer

N.I_Nova
18-03-10, 11:55 PM
Not sure what section this should go in so stuck it in here, right well i am going to be sanding my bumpers down for primering, and wondered what would be the best grade of sand paper to use, and also what colour of plastic primer should i use i think it is maybe grey as it is pearlescent paint but i am not 100% sure, i will be primering the bumper myself and getting it sprayed in a bodyshop or by my uncle so would halfrauds primer be ok, the colour they are being sprayed is lagoon blue (pearlescent paint), also is cellulose paint alright with plastic primer. Thanks :thumb:

lee-loon
19-03-10, 06:43 AM
Plastic primer isn't a coloured primer it's a thin solvent that is used in 1or2 thin coats and left for at least 10 mins before normal primer is put on.

Jon_nova1
19-03-10, 02:32 PM
^^^^^

also it depends if you want to get rid of the bubbly effect on the bumpers, if you do then go with 300ish grit, then when the bubble effects gone work your way to 1200 grit

lee-loon
19-03-10, 03:03 PM
Don't try and sand the bumper to remove the bobble's just prime the bumper it will fill them

Nova_Tek
19-03-10, 03:06 PM
Plastic primer, then high build primer to help fill in the textured plastic. 800 grit is fine on bumpers. I normally lihgtly rub it down.

N.I_Nova
19-03-10, 06:16 PM
ah right, when i have been spraying plastics before i only used the plastic primer then sprayed straight onto it perfect paint finish, would halfords plastic primer and normal primer be all right.

lee-loon
19-03-10, 06:35 PM
Not sure if plastic primer from halfords is a adhesion primer or just a flexable primer, to be honest I'd keep away from halfords primer and paint if you are doing a bumper.

Rexy
19-03-10, 06:39 PM
I always 180 / 400 textured bumpers, plastic prime using lesonal 1k plastic primer x 2 coats this stuff goes on nice and wet. Give that 10 mins to soak in and then 2/3 coats of 2k HB primer.

Flat with 400's, run over with 800's and then wet/dry 800's for the edges grey scotch the edges and the bumper to remove all the flatting ****e. Blow off, dry with paper towel. panel wipe x2 and then tac off.

tac off again before paint job done.

N.I_Nova
19-03-10, 07:06 PM
so how much stuff exactly do i need, could someone write me a list of what i need to do the both bumpers and the full names of what i need if you wouldn't mind, and possibly were to get it, Thanks in advance if anyone does and + rep will be given

lee-loon
19-03-10, 07:22 PM
this is what I use

red scotch - to key the plastic
1k plastic adhesion primer leave minimum 10minutes
2k high build primer 3 coats
leave to dry at least 24 hours if not baking
sand with 500 on a DA then flat with 1000wet
panel wipe to remove flating water etc
blow off to remove dust muck etc
tack off and paint

I'm sure people do this other ways but doesn't make it wrong.

I don't sand the plastic because it tends to fur up and it makes more work for you.

Rexy
19-03-10, 07:28 PM
vauxhall bumpers are a coont for that, but tbh i dont have any issues once they have been primed.

I like removing dents without using filler on bumper lol :D 80's FTW takes a while mind lol.

N.I_Nova
19-03-10, 07:30 PM
oh right so i could just give the bumpers a good clean before hand because i use i think its Wynn's bumper and trim care (real good stuff i find anyway) but does have a lot of silicone in it, so would methylated spirits be ok to clean it of with. :thumb:

lee-loon
19-03-10, 07:36 PM
Ye good thing about bumpers it does'nt matter what the filler feels like once primed and painted they always look mint!

with textured plastics I sometimes plastic prime 1,coat of wet-on-wet and 2 coats of clear this works if you can't be arsed as the clear is easy scotched and sanded quicker than high build!

N.I_Nova
19-03-10, 07:39 PM
i can see me friggin the bumper up lol, still have to get a gsi front bumper anyway

lee-loon
19-03-10, 07:40 PM
Don't use that on plastic, plastic is like a sponge and will soak up any solvent panel wipe etc and can stop adhesion of the primer.you can buy proper anti-static plastic cleaner.

16v Nova Kev
19-03-10, 07:44 PM
when i do bumpers in work i use 320 then grip4 then primer if you want smooth you will need a good few coats fo primer.

N.I_Nova
19-03-10, 07:45 PM
oh i see, my bad for thinking that lol

N.I_Nova
19-03-10, 07:47 PM
i take it grip4 is a primer?

16v Nova Kev
19-03-10, 07:50 PM
i take it grip4 is a primer?
i stuff i use is clear and it helps the paint stick to the plastic ;)

N.I_Nova
19-03-10, 07:54 PM
oh good job, i shall have to gives this a try when i get a gsi front bumper, do you just spray the primer straight onto it then, and could i just use halfords primer not plastic primer like just plain old primer dont have a massive bank balance ( on funking job benifits) hate it so need a job

N.I_Nova
19-03-10, 08:17 PM
what is the full name of that grip4 stuff, and does it come in a spray can, Cheers :thumb:

16v Nova Kev
19-03-10, 08:22 PM
upol. its about 15quid a can and i think you will need at least 2/3 cans of primer @ 15 quid they dont go far so 60 quid plus sand paper/time/paint. did you not get any prices from a body shop

N.I_Nova
19-03-10, 08:25 PM
oh rite good stuff, i will have to see were i will get it at, Cheers :thumb:

N.I_Nova
19-03-10, 08:25 PM
+ rep :thumb: