PDA

View Full Version : iPhone, Worth having?

chimp007_uk
18-03-10, 09:58 PM
I'm not a phone ponce, and I have a Samsung Pixon. The phone isn't too bad and has a good camera. A guy I work with has offered me an iPhone 3g 8gb wiht lots of accessories in good condition for £120.

I know the price is good, he lent me the phone and I've been playing with it etc.

Whats peoples experience? Reccommend?

All offering appreciated :thumb:

Chris

NovaLad
18-03-10, 10:01 PM
That's good... i'm selling a brand new 3g for £280 on here and also want a 3gs of my own!
I have a pixon atm aswell! love it but want the whole app system like the iphone!

I would go for it if you can live with **** mp pictures... i think you can download and app to upgrade the mp on the camera but it's not much... maybe goes to 5mp.

Your choice :)

Adam
18-03-10, 10:04 PM
If you want all the app bollox get a Iphone.
For everything else keep with a "normal" phone.

I was going get one until i found out apart from the whole app thing, my current Samsung tocco is a better phone lol

Rich
18-03-10, 10:41 PM
every one i know with an iphone is on the 2nd/3rd one, or currently has a broken on lol

Adam
18-03-10, 10:41 PM
The battery life is to55 on them too

andy_mk3
18-03-10, 10:43 PM
The iPhone is good for the apps, everything else is ****e.

I'm very glad I chose the Blackberry Bold over the iPhone now. The iPhone is too common and boring now!

Stuart
18-03-10, 10:43 PM
get a blackberry, despite me mullering mine with a software fault its an ace bit of kit.

l1nuxxx
18-03-10, 10:46 PM
every one i know with an iphone is on the 2nd/3rd one, or currently has a broken on lol

I had one. I like it but was always scared of scratching it etc as i'm constantly under my car etc so sold it. I like having a good camera on my phone aswell. Perhaps the next gen of iphones will be better.

On another note I replaced my bit on the sides screen on hers the other night as she broke it, she dropped it in a case but it was an easy fix and worth it lol

CoolTiger
18-03-10, 10:50 PM
i just got sony erricson satio funking amazing camera on it

brainsnova
18-03-10, 10:51 PM
my phone is **** but rings and makes calls (k800i)

Lee H
18-03-10, 10:59 PM
I really like my Iphone, going to get another when upgrade is due. This is the first phone i've had that i've not managed to break or isn't riddled with software faults. Had it 15 months now.

MattBrown
18-03-10, 11:02 PM
Iphones are crap, after having the 2g, and the 3g, and the 3gs is coming, i can safely say there poo

In fact, mines in for repair now, (Screen, button, speaker, and volum button) also, the rear back case cracks dead easy, and they freese every 10 mins, takes literally 2 minutes to write on facebook and itunes is expensive.

Battery is toss, and the charger isnt much better.

Apart from that, the apps, pron and general "I have an iphone" is quite good!

My advice after having the 3, dont waste your monies lol

MK999
18-03-10, 11:09 PM
/hijack

I'll be out looking at them saturday as my current contract is tosh and I want out, I really like the apps feature, and that's mainly whats drawing me to them, but I also use my phone as an MP3 player and want a decent internet browser as it's damn handy to have while out and about. Is there really anything to compete with the iphone on those points, or does the apps feature sway it?

MattBrown
18-03-10, 11:11 PM
/hijack

I'll be out looking at them saturday as my current contract is tosh and I want out, I really like the apps feature, and that's mainly whats drawing me to them, but I also use my phone as an MP3 player and want a decent internet browser as it's damn handy to have while out and about. Is there really anything to compete with the iphone on those points, or does the apps feature sway it?

The HTC is very good also, however the thing that sways it, is the 120,000 apps, and the best music service ever!

Itues and App store are brilliant, not cheap, but very good:thumb:

Stuart
18-03-10, 11:12 PM
The apps lack a bit, but as a piece of hardware the BB is ace (and I'm a little bit of an apple fan lol but something dont sit right with the iPhone imho)

HTC will have to give me a phone and a dancing girl to ever get me to use on of their bits of tosh ever again :( wimo+touchflo 3d FTL

MK999
18-03-10, 11:15 PM
Itunes couldn't give a funk about, not looking forward to being forced to use it to put music on there tbh, but the apps thing I really like, it's just impossible to get a decent deal on the iphone as they know they'll sell whether they charge £20 a month or 80 for them... so I might end up looking elsewhere

Stuart
18-03-10, 11:17 PM
What apps have you seen that you WILL 100% USE.... they arent all free you know ;)

muzzy
18-03-10, 11:30 PM
My mum has an Iphone and I struggle to use it, all i want to do is phone people and its an absolute challenge with them. I would never get one, I would have a Blackberry over it any day.

MK999
18-03-10, 11:41 PM
What apps have you seen that you WILL 100% USE.... they arent all free you know ;)

It's more the idea of it/versatility, but just looking through the info on apples website there's one designed for students for tracking coursework that I could definitely make use of rather than forgetting about it to put on the calender when i get home and finding out last minute it's due in. Also the car dyno ones for pishing about with/laughing at inaccuracy/convincing people my nova is 600bhp because i put the car weight in as 6 tonnes etc lol

Main plus points for me iPhone wise:

1. built in ipod function meaning top notch music playback/organisation etc
2. internet browsing feature/control system, seen it in use and it's very very good!
3. the apps

Mate has an iphone and whenever we're out and encounter a random problem/dispute out comes the iphone to solve it all with google or some random free app lol

daverobson
18-03-10, 11:49 PM
i just got sony erricson satio funking amazing camera on it

same, i chose mine over iphone. camara is very good and the rest of the phone does enough too:thumb:

MattBrown
18-03-10, 11:51 PM
It's more the idea of it/versatility, but just looking through the info on apples website there's one designed for students for tracking coursework that I could definitely make use of rather than forgetting about it to put on the calender when i get home and finding out last minute it's due in. Also the car dyno ones for pishing about with/laughing at inaccuracy/convincing people my nova is 600bhp because i put the car weight in as 6 tonnes etc lol

Main plus points for me iPhone wise:

1. built in ipod function meaning top notch music playback/organisation etc
2. internet browsing feature/control system, seen it in use and it's very very good!
3. the apps

Mate has an iphone and whenever we're out and encounter a random problem/dispute out comes the iphone to solve it all with google or some random free app lol

Rev lite needs a £300 lead and box of ****s.

Also, only good ones are:

eBay
Facbbook
Karmasutra

Literally thats your lot

Ohh Ipint alsolol

Novasport
18-03-10, 11:56 PM
Dont see the fascination with i-Phones, they are very good but they are mainly a gimmick that is vastly overpriced. I went for a Blackberry bold 9700 and it does everything I need & more, email & internet are awesome. You can get all the apps you need aswell and its a damn sight cheaper plus you are not tied to one network(Although I think they are on more networks now).
The i-Phones from what I have seen are very unreliable aswell, people I know have had to have them replaced or have issues with them & it seems they have difficulty getting a replacement handset when they fook up

Matt
19-03-10, 12:01 AM
The iPhone is sublime. I've got the 16GB 3GS and it's by far the best phone I've ever had. Streets ahead of anything else on the market atm in my opinion. The touch screen is so responsive making everthing so easy to use, internet is rapid (especially with the 3GS processor), the apps are awesome, built in iPod means I no longer need my iShuffle. There's not much more I could possibly want from a phone!

I wasn't particually fussed by them until I upgraded recently and found after trying out other handsets, everthing is just so dull/ run of the mill compared to the iPhone. I'd reccommed one to anyone but would say to look for the newer 3GS. Also if you're fussed about getting it scratched etc, errr... buy a case :roll: :thumb:

Bubba
19-03-10, 12:10 AM
i hate touch screen, i personally dont see what all the fuss is about. would much rather have the SE Satio for the uber camera :p

~Bec~
19-03-10, 08:00 AM
Rev lite needs a £300 lead and box of ****s.

Also, only good ones are:

eBay
Facbbook
Karmasutra

Literally thats your lot

Ohh Ipint alsolol

i-pint!! lol lol
what about all the other funky games like bubble wrap :p

Jack
19-03-10, 10:45 AM
If you want all the app bollox get a Iphone.
For everything else keep with a "normal" phone.
I don't get the whole app thing - even my N85 has a plethora of apps which do everything I need (most of which are free, if you can be bothered to spend a few mins on google searching). Ok, except the candle one. But thats not exactly useful is it lol

i think you can download and app to upgrade the mp on the camera but it's not much... maybe goes to 5mp.
How'd they manage that? As surely the CCD of the camera limits the picture size? Unless it just takes a, say, 2048x1536px image and enlarges it to 3078x2310?

As said above, my N85 has just about every app available for it you could want. Stock net browser is perfectly usable, if you don't like it you can replace it with others. Stock MP3 player is excellent.

Music/files transfer is excellent as well, as you can just plug it in and use it like a memory stick (don't even have to use the Nokia file transfer stuff). Not sure if the iPhone has removable memory slot? And of course it has none of that gayhat iTunes shoite lol

If you like the touch screen bollocks, which I don't, go for the N97.

Edd
19-03-10, 10:48 AM
The iPhone is the best phone iv ever had, only thing that could be better is the camera.

iPhone is even better when you jailbreak the phone and install a program and have all the apps for free :d

Stoo
19-03-10, 11:16 AM
just oredered a 16gb 3GS

Edd, Free Apps. tellll!!!

Stuart
19-03-10, 11:17 AM
jailbreak simplez.

Edd
19-03-10, 11:18 AM
just oredered a 16gb 3GS

Edd, Free Apps. tellll!!!

think i would get banned for promoting illegal downloads lol

Stoo
19-03-10, 11:20 AM
well i almost ordered but im not there for delivery!!!

O2 or Voda out of interest??

Stuart
19-03-10, 11:23 AM
from what I can make out the O2 network is swamped with Ipones therefore the data rates are down compared to those of VF. On my BB I get an impecable data service with VF as does the other half, I'd seriously look at a VF contract for the Ipone too as data is what its all about.

MK999
19-03-10, 12:18 PM
internet fail double post

MK999
19-03-10, 12:19 PM
N97 does look a good option tbh, only thing that puts me off is the music playback seems to be more something they had to add to the spec list, than a vital part of the phone, and the browsing doesn't look as good, although seems passable. The main plus points are it doesn't have the massive scene tax and lack of deals the iphone does and does pretty much all the same stuff without breaking a lot lol ... will have to have a play with it in the store I think :)

Matt
19-03-10, 03:45 PM
well i almost ordered but im not there for delivery!!!

O2 or Voda out of interest??

I've got a Vodafone contract with my iPhone and I can't fault them atall.

duck-sri
19-03-10, 04:00 PM
Phone geek right here, currently have a jail broken 3g, it's amazing, don't have to use iTunes to get my music, i'm not tied to an extortionate iPhone contract cos I use mine on t-mobile, Internet browser is awesome, functionality is good, I can have any app I want for free, added tom tom last week for free, it's 60quid in the AppStore, thousands of tweeks and fully customisable when you jailbreak and it literally takes 10mins,
only downside is batterylife isn't great, but find me another "smart phone" that is better??
Blackberry is a good phone, but limited apps, very business orientated and a gash diddly qwerty keyboards that you can only use if you have hands like a school girl!!

iPhone ftw!

Nova_Tek
19-03-10, 04:20 PM
They only thing I'd get the iPhone for is probably the apps and in particular there's an app a mate had on his, G force meter; cornering, acceleration braking the full works. Show you the graph aswell bit like in the Skyline (ok not as good but still impressive) That would be so much fun in the Nova with the LET fitted.

If I could get that on the N95 8GB or my 5800 then I'd be happy for life. My Nokias (the two mentioned) have been bulletproof. Really reliable and do everything. The iPhone has it's looks and those apps.

Riggy
19-03-10, 05:46 PM
very worth it , ive got a 32gb 3gs on voda and its awsome :thumb:

and all the people i know with iphone have never had anyprobs what so ever

itunes is a bit of a pain , but its useable for what you need it for

Mr.B
20-03-10, 05:16 PM
HTC Legend, iSheep beater by far

rubachuk
20-03-10, 11:22 PM
I got an iphone 3gs on a friday, charged it and then used it on the Saturday. It was complete ****e. I put it back in the box on Sunday morning and took it to the post office on Monday.

Particular hates were the texting with a qwerty and the dog**** web browser, although I'm sure there's now an "app" to sort this out. I wouldn't have one given to me. Loving my Sony W995i

bazil
20-03-10, 11:32 PM
iphones are ok if you dont want a good battery life or camera, ive had mine for 14 months with no problems, as said you can jailbreak these phones which is illegal and will void your warranty if it screws up which my mates did on 3 seperate occasions, the last of which was so bad that he could not restore the factory settings and when he took it into the apple store they said it had been hacked so no valid warranty!

Connor
21-03-10, 12:41 AM
iphones are very good,
but a tad overrated.
Also lil advise, outer plastic screens cost £149
as they are connected to the screen and the touchscreen part