PDA

View Full Version : XE Or Let 1/4 Mile - Which Is Better?

ST-eater
18-03-10, 05:25 PM
Hi all,

Im looking into engine swapping a nova again, and trying to decide if there is much in between a let on f20 without LSD, and a standard XE on f16 or f20.

The car will be stripped completely other than single seat, steering wheel, and clocks...

will there be a massive difference, and if so, what sort of times are expected for both engines?

Jack
18-03-10, 05:28 PM
Have a look in this (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88515) thread, there's lots of times for both XE's and LETs.

Rickardo
18-03-10, 05:29 PM
They are nothing like each other..

The Let will murder a XE everyday of the week.

ST-eater
18-03-10, 05:31 PM
just thinking the let without a lsd in a light shell will just spin a tad too much. I have the cash to do a let, but didnt want to do it if an xe was just as quick due to less spinning.. Will have a look at the link, cheers

Spudly
18-03-10, 05:31 PM
They are nothing like each other..

The Let will murder a XE everyday of the week.

If it can get the power down at the start of the strip, otherwise it will be sat wheelspinning whilst the XE is making a break for it down the strip!

It all depends on clutches, gearboxes, diffs, theres far too many factors to counter than just simply saying "that one is faster than that one":thumb:

Adam
18-03-10, 05:32 PM
Without a LSD a XE can easily spin the wheels if you let it to

Rickardo
18-03-10, 05:34 PM
Mine was on a F20, no LSD.. It never lit it's wheels up on the strip..

On a wet road, it was a different story.. Sodding everywhere when getting the power down. :thumb:

Count Vaux Alot
18-03-10, 05:34 PM
Very true Adam

Adam
18-03-10, 05:35 PM
Mine can spin the wheels going into 3rd gear down the 1/4mile

Riggy
18-03-10, 05:38 PM
yeah if i give my xe a heavy boot i can have it still spining through 3rd

dhdev (Oli)
18-03-10, 06:07 PM
Surely unless it's mega boosting, the LET will always be better. Slightly heavier over the front wheels for enhanced traction and the power/torque can still be contolled just like on the XE using the throttle :roll:
So as long as you have some driver skill, you can match the amount of power to the available grip. So the LET will be quicker.

The Simps
18-03-10, 06:20 PM
Having had both in standard form the let is quicker. It makes up so much more ground the latter half of the strip due to the torque. If you're able to control the take off you'll be even quicker.

blue_peg_16v
18-03-10, 06:20 PM
let if your going for standard power and for future tunning but ive seen some very good results from standard xes with nos for budget laughs that would be myplan also an lsd would be such an advantage easily give you 0.5 of a sec over the quarter

i raced a std let with my old std xe murdered it through first and second but jesus did that thing move in 3rd soon cought me and left me for dead lol

havnt ran the loon with the let but hope it will run at least low 13s

The Simps
18-03-10, 06:29 PM
i raced a std let with my okd std xe murdered it through first and second but jesus did that thing move in 3rd soon cought me and left me for dead lol

That was exactly my experience and a big reason for getting a let!

blue_peg_16v
18-03-10, 06:33 PM
yup i ran a 14.5 and it ran 13.7 and made it all up in the second half of the run. both cars were full fat all interior and stereo still fitted lol

got giddy i got that much of a lead in first and second was like no way im going to do a let then just saw it comming in the mirrors lol

Will F
18-03-10, 08:30 PM
Figures speak for themselves...

Quickest XE (off gas) low 13s

Quickest LET 11 something.

If both standard...

XE low 14

LET mid 13

All massively dependant on suspension, tyres, driver etc etc

discoinferno
18-03-10, 08:32 PM
Figures speak for themselves...

Quickest XE (off gas) low 13s

Quickest LET 11 something.

If both standard...

XE low 14

LET mid 13

All massively dependant on suspension, tyres, driver etc etc

mine will do a 27 second i think as it will spin all 6 gears:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: