PDA

View Full Version : balance pedal box query/problems?

yayoboy
17-03-10, 09:39 PM
I have a comp brake pedal box, with twin m/cs, 0.7 to the rear and 0.625 to the front, brakes have bled up fine (eventually!)

But now the problem is that my threads on the m/cs wont turn into the balance bar any further, and i have no adjustment left on the clevis that attaches to the novas pedal bar, and i basically cant get it in to put the clevis pin through and even if i could, the m/cs would be engaged and the wheels would lock.

After asking compbrake and a pal of mine who once had a rally nove with one of these on, they suggest, as the m/cs are universal, that i should cut down the threads to suit untill i get the brakes to 'feel' right. has anyone had to do this before? just dont wanna go hacking my m/cs down if i dont have to, but i cant see any other alternative, other than packing the whole pedal box out from the body, which i think is a bit of a gash way to do it? any help welcome, cheers, sean

Stuart
17-03-10, 10:07 PM
I trimmed the rods down on the MC's before

MARTIN KELSON
17-03-10, 10:37 PM
I previously had a balance pedal box from 'Rally Design'.
I too had to cut down slightly the length of the master cyclinder push rods. Didnt really want to be doing this but Rally Design said this sometimes has to be done.

In the end wasnt really happy so sold it. I have since bought one from Harry Hockly, this seems much better but as yet not driven the car to see if it is actually better.

I had real trouble with pedal box being actually able to physically push the pedal hard enough to operate the brakes as they were like pushing into a brick!!!

See how you get on as i may have a modification, but also as yet not driven car to see if that works either!!

Martin

yayoboy
17-03-10, 10:54 PM
thanks for replies, im really getting close to binning this balance box as its nothing but trouble, i too, have a brake travel of about 5mm and its like you say, like tring to push a brick! the way i got roung it first time i had enough was to get rid of the balance bar completly and fit a solid shaft in there, locked in place, and only operating the front, it worked a treat for the front, but obviously couldnt stay that way as i had no rears, i have an idea of using the solid shaft, with rose joints but on either end, one for each m/c thread, and tightening it up to th thread on the front side, but leaving it free to float down the rear m/c thread untill it hits a lock nut, thus engaging the rear brakes? hope you can understand what im trying to sya, my mod should work , but we shouldnt be going through this **** to get it right!!!

Stuart
17-03-10, 10:57 PM
the balance bar bias boxes work fine imho
OK non servo'd brakes are heavy but its part of the fun :)

yayoboy
17-03-10, 11:00 PM
theres heavy and theres needing a 10 ton bottle jack welded to the seat and the pedal lol

Stuart
17-03-10, 11:03 PM
pussy :p

yayoboy
17-03-10, 11:05 PM
i cant help that im not a member of the ss like you with all that leg conditioning lol

MARTIN KELSON
17-03-10, 11:13 PM
Dont know yet if my 'mod' works so wont go into detail :)

If you look at Pedal Boxes in Demon Tweeks etc catalogues they are give a 'pedal ratio' of approx 6.5
I believe this to mean for every 1kg say of force you put on the pedal 6.5kg is inserted into the brakes, which is all acheived by pivot points etc.

Rally Design website showes how to work out 'your' pedal ratio & if memory serves correct a std Nova is only 3.5, hence the heavy pedal as you just arnt generating enough force.

yayoboy
17-03-10, 11:17 PM
so your thinking about moving the pivot point on the pedal to increase force? geek moment but i think you can work it out by using hooks law of fulcrums remember it from my hnc

MARTIN KELSON
17-03-10, 11:26 PM
so your thinking about moving the pivot point on the pedal to increase force? geek moment but i think you can work it out by using hooks law of fulcrums remember it from my hnc

Spot on :)

I have done it, but as yet untried.

Stationary it does feel 100% better, but whether i can now insert enough force through my little legs only time will tell

I did read on migweb few months ago there was a similar thread & somebody did this to their Astra & apparently the difference was like night & day, so i'am keeping my fingers crossed it has achieved what i set out to do!

yayoboy
17-03-10, 11:36 PM
please, let me know asap! and if you have any pics/notes you can mail me, please do so, cheers martin

boffer8
19-04-10, 09:12 PM
have you got any update on the martin? help would be appreciated before i fit mine ;)

bazil
19-04-10, 09:16 PM
0.625 to the front:wtf:

i had 0.7 to the front ant 0.75 to the rear, it was firm but very usable, and im a skinny twunt and could still use them lol

MARTIN KELSON
19-04-10, 09:22 PM
have you got any update on the martin? help would be appreciated before i fit mine ;)

PM Sent