PDA

View Full Version : Car broke down on motoway...

Nebbz
17-03-10, 02:15 PM
seems i floodded the engine flooring it...since when does that happen.

car let out two massive pops and lost all power and shut its self off...not fun on the outside lane doing 95! :eek:

left it for about 10 mins, then tried it again! tis fine works no problem fires up 1st time...WHAT THE HELL!?:wtf:

NovaLad
17-03-10, 02:41 PM
Why was you doing 95mph on the motorway which has a 70mph speed limit :wtf:

Curtoise
17-03-10, 02:41 PM
what engine ?/car

Spudly
17-03-10, 02:42 PM
Why was you doing 95mph on the motorway which has a 70mph speed limit :wtf:

Its alright its only a 1.2i so she will have only been doing 65mph in reality lol

brainsnova
17-03-10, 02:43 PM
your engine knew you were being a :tard: and shut down. simples

Mattman
17-03-10, 02:44 PM
on the outside lane doing 95!

speedo out by much? lol

edit - I'm far too slow ^

Nebbz
17-03-10, 02:44 PM
prob very true! last time i had the sat nav out it wasnt what i was actually doing, so reality was i was doing 90 as was 5mph out then! might be more now..

and any one on here, who says they stick to all the limets, has to go cut their balls of as they are blatantly lying! NO ONE does the limet, not even the police.

yes a 1.2 merit

brainsnova
17-03-10, 02:46 PM
i can be seen every day following the speed limit :thumb:

Nebbz
17-03-10, 02:46 PM
:eek:

find it hard to belive tbh! but fair play if you actually do! cus i cant im to impatient :roll:

MattBrown
17-03-10, 02:48 PM

Along with melol

Curtoise
17-03-10, 02:49 PM
1.2 merits are carb? coulda been a patch of crappy fuel or crap making it stall? check the lines ?

Nebbz
17-03-10, 02:51 PM
1.2 merits are carb? coulda been a patch of crappy fuel or crap making it stall? check the lines ?

prob the exact problem tbh! ive had crap fuel in it latley! needs a new cam belt also as looked at the history was done in 1999!!!! :eek:

get it booked in i thinks needs a service esp with my driving!

Spudly
17-03-10, 02:51 PM
your engine knew you were being a :tard: and shut down. simples

Lmfao, id rep you but i need to spread the butter first lol

And Nebbz the feds dont do the speed limit youre quite correct, but they usually do about 5-10 mph under it :p

MK999
17-03-10, 02:53 PM
prob very true! last time i had the sat nav out it wasnt what i was actually doing, so reality was i was doing 90 as was 5mph out then! might be more now..

Guess again lol Mine used to be a conservative 15-20% out, so more like 75-80 :p

Nebbz
17-03-10, 02:55 PM
Guess again lol Mine used to be a conservative 15-20% out, so more like 75-80 :p
ooo god knows, i was over taking people thats well untill it broke down lol!!!!!!!!

never know with old cars, my cabbys slow as you like! cant get over 80 in it! got to give it a good run up to hills as other wise you end up doing silly slow speeds.

No idea what other coppers are like around different areas but round clevedon, weston super mare, and bristol cops always speed! :wtf:

stevie-p
17-03-10, 02:57 PM
my speedo is crack on

Nebbz
17-03-10, 03:01 PM
on a whole though the car should be okay ish?... im staying clear of motoways till its sorted though! worst thing is breaking down on the outside lane!!

MK999
17-03-10, 03:02 PM
my speedo is crack on

17 inch wheels, 70 profile tyres, or lies i say. lol

burgo
17-03-10, 03:08 PM
on a whole though the car should be okay ish?... im staying clear of motoways till its sorted though! worst thing is breaking down on the outside lane!!why didnt you take it out of gear and roll across to the hard shoulder? will roll along way from 90

mowgli
17-03-10, 03:14 PM
choke cable, debris in the tank, coil, or the car simply gave up

Stuart
17-03-10, 03:26 PM
how long were you doing this stint of speed for before the engine died?

sounds like the coil may have overheated or the ign module overheated and shut down. Try it again late at night and see if you can replicate the fault.

Alex J
17-03-10, 05:53 PM
i had a 1.3 sr about 10 years ago witch would just cut out on motorways, about 10 times one day on a trip to plymouth, i tryed everything, carb, leads, pump, the lot,even the tank!!!!, never fixed the problem!! i scraped it in the end:mad:

Jack
17-03-10, 06:12 PM
Fcuking LOL @ doing 95 in a 1.2.

burgo
17-03-10, 06:19 PM
Fcuking LOL @ doing 95 in a 1.2.hey its possible you hater

Jack
17-03-10, 06:21 PM
Indicated, yes :p

General Baxter
17-03-10, 06:24 PM
why didnt you take it out of gear and roll across to the hard shoulder? will roll along way from 90

kids are too dumb now adays, they have to have everything done for them,lol

i say it was the police chopper shooting at you to slow down

burgo
17-03-10, 06:28 PM
Indicated, yes :pno sat nav speed. i had 102 on tom tom. speedo said 120 lmfao

Spudly
17-03-10, 06:36 PM
My old digi dash told me i was doing 113mph in my old 1200, it had inlet and carb from a 1400 SR and a straight through exhaust system so it must be gospel lol

vauxluva
17-03-10, 06:43 PM
your engine knew you were being a :tard: and shut down. simples.........isnt 5 mph more an instant ban ???lol

muzzy
17-03-10, 06:44 PM
.........isnt 5 mph more an instant bad ???lol

Very bad

marc69
17-03-10, 06:44 PM
I havce had 2 novas that have done this, gone for about 100 miles on road at reasonable speed then shut down for 10 mins. 2 probs. and solutions.

1 The ohv 993 did it every bloody journey, replaced everything except the distributor, was told that if the cam is not loose then there is nothing else to go wrong. got really peeved off with it, changed the distrubutor and it has never done it since, don't know what was wrong with the other one but it was too retarded at speed, went straight to the bin! make sure you check the timing with strobe light (they are dead cheap)

2. My SR did it at first 2, changed everything, checked ingnition timing, distributor etc. eventually changed the carb, it has been fine ever since, havnt looked at the old one to see if it is too weak or too strong, probably too weak at a guess, hope this helps. I have also found that champion plugs are far beeter than ngk or any other cheap ones for these old engines.

Incidently, i took the 1984 car to a vauxhall dealer a few years ago too see if they could identify the problem, they insisted taht they could if i paid £175 to coonect my cars "engine management computer" to thiers, it is a ohv!!!!!

General Baxter
17-03-10, 06:56 PM
at them speeds, the amount of air going into the carb will be stupid

got a K&N ?

NovaLad
18-03-10, 01:19 AM
Fcuking LOL @ doing 95 in a 1.2.
I got 101mph on a satnav out my 1.2 carb with a straight through competition exhaust system on a private road obviously :)

mowgli
18-03-10, 07:51 AM
sat navs can't even find my house.......ask John H & baxter.......

why does everyone think they are the most accurate thing on the sodding planet.... gps is not that clever.. and for speed measuring it can't take into account any form of terrain, so it sees from point a to b & all these clever bends etc that are on the map but not the road

Stuart
18-03-10, 08:57 AM
sat navs can't even find my house.......ask John H & baxter.......

why does everyone think they are the most accurate thing on the sodding planet.... gps is not that clever.. and for speed measuring it can't take into account any form of terrain, so it sees from point a to b & all these clever bends etc that are on the map but not the road

agreed, and if you are going up or down a hill your speed wont be accurate either as the GPS speed is simply a vector of your 3D velocity. Also it will use an approximation for the earths shape so sometimes it will be 'right' and sometimes it will be less right lol

L14MNP
18-03-10, 09:37 AM
lol what a tool! I'm not gonna preach speed limits to you as I can't claim to stick to them 100% of the time, but I can't believe you didn't have the sense to pull onto the hard shoulder!

That could have been very dangerous indeed!

MK999
18-03-10, 09:41 AM
I trust a combination of Newton's and Einstein's laws/theory calculated by various satellites a lot more than a 25 year old needle on the end of a cable though... My sat nav is pretty much dot on with speeds, it agrees with those speed limit signs that light up, trucks at 56mph etc whereas the nova claims i'm doing 15-20% more.

Yeah it's not instant and it's not perfect, I wouldn't be surprised if it calculated with bends in the road though... otherwise it's ETA times would be very shoddy lol

Jack
18-03-10, 10:27 AM
otherwise it's ETA times would be very shoddy lol
You're having a laugh, my sat nav ETA is about as reliable as a French army tasked with defending Paris

draper
18-03-10, 10:50 AM
You're having a laugh, my sat nav ETA is about as reliable as a French army tasked with defending Paris

+1 - although ccoming back from birmingham i managed to add 10mins to my ETA by stopping at the services for 20mins lol

burgo
18-03-10, 11:06 AM
i find on a motorway journey of 100miles you can knock 20-30mins off the ETA without trying to hard

Jack
18-03-10, 11:46 AM
Hmm, mine seems to be the other way round - on 60mph limit country lanes, anything over 40mph cuts the time down nicely; yet cruising along motorways at 70mph and the time hardly reduces.

MK999
18-03-10, 11:48 AM

Apparently my sat nav is just awesome and you're all using crap then lol My eta is normally within 10 minutes on say a 1-2 hour journey, if you factor in the fact it seems to take 60 as your average speed on the motorway then it's pretty much spot on, same with speeds.

mowgli
18-03-10, 11:52 AM
you are all aware that the us military deliberately made the civilian gps inaccurate, and also based on the fact that the us military developed it, in feet & inches, I can guarantee it is not actually that accurate. it was designed to get large bombs to get near targets

L14MNP
18-03-10, 11:53 AM
i find on a motorway journey of 100miles you can knock 20-30mins off the ETA without trying to hard

Gospel.

MK999
18-03-10, 12:03 PM
you are all aware that the us military deliberately made the civilian gps inaccurate, and also based on the fact that the us military developed it, in feet & inches, I can guarantee it is not actually that accurate. it was designed to get large bombs to get near targets

GPS using a basis of Newtonian mechanics along with Einsteins theory of relativity to account for the higher weight of objects moving at speed, is capable of pinpointing a location within half a metre...

Source being a professor in telecommunications at my uni :thumb:

mowgli
18-03-10, 12:33 PM
GPS using a basis of Newtonian mechanics along with Einsteins theory of relativity to account for the higher weight of objects moving at speed, is capable of pinpointing a location within half a metre...

Source being a professor in telecommunications at my uni :thumb:

how about that mars probe that they spent hundreds of millions of dollars on that forgot to slow down when it got there & splattered 10 years of scientific work all over the red planet (it was meant to go round it a bit & land properly) that used lots of big science

i bet your professor has never tried to dig a sodding hole in the road that a gps has plotted & located then..... cos it is awful. severn trent water used it to map its whole pipe network & it is truly laughable.

I lived in oxford back in the nineties, & a very clever physicist tried to get permission to dump nuclear waste into the town sewers. he worked out the qty he was going to dump & compared to the qty per day & reckoned it was safe...... he forgot the fact that he wanted to dump it down the same pipe each time, thus irradiating the same pipe each time.... he called the city council small minded cos they told him to fook right off

theories are fantastic things, but remember, science professors do it because they aren't good enough to be out there inventing hover cars etc

MK999
18-03-10, 12:47 PM
how about that mars probe that they spent hundreds of millions of dollars on that forgot to slow down when it got there & splattered 10 years of scientific work all over the red planet (it was meant to go round it a bit & land properly) that used lots of big science

The picture they took didn't show a canyon clearly enough until they were actually looking for it, taking pictures of mars is hard :p They didn't forget to slow it down, the parachute release mechanism triggered 100ft from ground level, and dropped it a few hundred down a canyon, my uncle's engineering firm made the release mech lol

i bet your professor has never tried to dig a sodding hole in the road that a gps has plotted & located then..... cos it is awful. severn trent water used it to map its whole pipe network & it is truly laughable.

Probably not, and I did say capable, it will depending on the rounding accuracy, timing accuracy and all other kinds of accuracy on the equipment used, also to within half a metre isn't that accurate when it comes to putting 2 pipes together lol

I lived in oxford back in the nineties, & a very clever physicist tried to get permission to dump nuclear waste into the town sewers. he worked out the qty he was going to dump & compared to the qty per day & reckoned it was safe...... he forgot the fact that he wanted to dump it down the same pipe each time, thus irradiating the same pipe each time.... he called the city council small minded cos they told him to fook right off

Wouldn't know about that one, don't know the details, people get jittery when you say nuclear radiation though, depending on what type though it's relatively harmless, there's a small amount sat over your heads in pretty much every home in the UK, and it's a lot less dangerous than the radiation you get standing outside lol

theories are fantastic things, but remember, science professors do it because they aren't good enough to be out there inventing hover cars etc

Actually these 2 particular theories, or 1 law and 1 theory, Newtons laws of motion is one of very few theories accepted to be true enough to be a law btw, form the basis of most mechanical calculations, and Einstein's theory was used to invent the atomic bomb and nuclear power stations, hardly think you can call that not good enough to be out inventing hover cars lol

Replies in bold for structure :)

mowgli
18-03-10, 01:03 PM
1. the mars probe where the clever scientists from nasa for some reason thought velocity was measured in feet per second not metres per second, thus it hit the planet at 3.3 times what it should...........

2. half a metre is not accurate enough for digging a trench, but the severn trent maps are tens of metres out in places, and the accurate bits are 3metres further south on their info than they really are on the ground

3. this science is from the same clever people who build an animal testing lab smack bang in the centre of oxford.... they really don't understand what normal people consider to be normal.... they could have easily put the lab in some faceless industrial estate well away from the public gaze, but the professors live close by so they don't want to commute etc....

4. nuclear power & nuclear bombs are just two of the things that should never have been invented, add big brother, marmite & eurovision to that list........
nuclear bombs have stopped major development since the eighties, and nuclear powerstations produce amazing clean electricity, but have ruined huge chunks of the planet & kill thousands of people.. if they'd spent a tenth on wave, wind & solar power the place would be fantastic....... but thats only a theory

scientific theories are very valid, but for example, why are they spending untold billions on that hadron thing in switzerland to try to explain the birth of the universe... how will that truly help to better this sorry little planet???? it may expand the knowledge of about 5000 people who are involved in it, but
nobody else could care a sod

Guderian
18-03-10, 01:17 PM
When a 1.2spi suddenly cuts out i generally attribute it either a glob of water cruising around in the bottom of the fuel tank waiting to get suddenly sucked up by the engine, or the brown earth wires on the insides of both 'a' posts (which earth the ECU) getting loose and or corroded.

Yes they will do those sorts of speeds (off public roads of course..) if it's a 'good' 1.2spi, the 4spd will allow 98 at 4950rpm or thereabouts on skinny tyres. That is without mudflaps (which i hate) and with the ignition timing mapped for super unleaded. It isn't all that safe though as there is no more acceleration to come. I prefer 70 most of the time..

Stuart
18-03-10, 01:32 PM
The us shift of civvy GPS signals has been turned off in recent years in favour of blocking GPS signals on a localised basis. GPS is only a time signal to compare to other time signals (with sattelite info coding to know which is which etc), so feet and inches to metric is 100% irrelevant. The accuracy is down to the hardware used the map integration and how many sattelites you can "see".

The mars lander was a different fault to that mentioned, some software bug but cant remember the specifics.

ANYWAY the persons car stopping imho is down to the coil or ign module overheating and failing... reproduce the fault and its a possible :)

mowgli
18-03-10, 01:38 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

Jack
18-03-10, 04:34 PM
LOL I like that. When its the cause of something going wrong, its "English". At all other times, its "Imperial" lol

[IT geek mode] Anyway, who cares. It landed didn't it? Albeit at high speed, but it reached the surface. You'll probably find the geeks were given the brief of "I don't care how, just get the damn thing on the planet" so they chose the easiest option: slam it into the surface at high speed lol

General Baxter
18-03-10, 05:07 PM
[IT geek mode] Anyway, who cares. It landed didn't it? Albeit at high speed, but it reached the surface. You'll probably find the geeks were given the brief of "I don't care how, just get the damn thing on the planet" so they chose the easiest option: slam it into the surface at high speed lol

that just sounds the british way :thumb:

Stuart
18-03-10, 05:14 PM
that article is 11 years old lol
I remembered the reason now. It was down to the way the legs deployed... They came down with such a jolt the electronics on board were calibrated to think that was the "I have landed" signal and released the parachute. Giving it somewhat of a faster landing lol Mild feck up on the calibration front me thinks.

mowgli
18-03-10, 08:00 PM
that article is 11 years old lol
I remembered the reason now. It was down to the way the legs deployed... They came down with such a jolt the electronics on board were calibrated to think that was the "I have landed" signal and released the parachute. Giving it somewhat of a faster landing lol Mild feck up on the calibration front me thinks.

no, they put in the figures based on feet per second. not metres per second. thats a factor of 3.3:1

Nebbz
19-03-10, 01:58 PM
just an update, its done it again today! this time lukily at the local petrol station so wasnt quite so OMG but still annoying! sounds odd when it fires up, no backfiring this time though, just wouldnt start back up after going in to the shop to get nick nacks.

gona ask other half to try get it to work next week to get teh fuel lines cleared... should i also invest in a new fuel filter??

muzzy
19-03-10, 02:03 PM
Give it a service if it hasn't been done recently. Try and get it to do it again and check for fuel/spark if it's not starting, at least that way you will know where the problem lies.

Nebbz
19-03-10, 02:30 PM
Give it a service if it hasn't been done recently. Try and get it to do it again and check for fuel/spark if it's not starting, at least that way you will know where the problem lies.

they need replacing i know that much, noticed some oil or it could be dirty wd40! as i got trigger happy this winter with the stuff!

checked its history, last PROPER service was done in 1999! so i some how think its time for new stuff loL! still had tyres from 1994 on it! lol

muzzy
19-03-10, 03:24 PM
I would imagine it would be due a cambelt as well if you have no history for that, give it a full service including belts to be on the safe side.