PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out whilst driving

wwmnw
17-03-10, 12:19 AM
Driving along and the engine died (I don't know if its electrical or mechanical so didn't know where to put it, sorry admins) all the lights stayed on and the hazards worked, it was turning over but not firing.

A few days ago a mate was sat in the drivers seat and touched some wires under the steering column (I haven't got the bottom part of the cowling on) I started it not long after he did that and it ran for a couple of minutes then died, I touched a few of the wires and it started which is what I did when it died tonight as well. Any ideas?

NovaLad
17-03-10, 12:21 AM
Check that your ignition wire is secure maybe?... think it's blue.

EDIT- You need to check all wires are secure TBH
Check for splits in wires also.

Curtoise
17-03-10, 12:24 AM
if u fiddled with the wires and it worked it obv one of them, p.s i have a spare cowling here if u want?

Bubba
17-03-10, 12:25 AM
hit the coil and dizzy :) worked for me

wwmnw
17-03-10, 12:25 AM
I'm crap with electrics and don't play with them due to being colour blind but does the ignition wire send constant power to keep the engine alive?

Edit: Curtoise, I have a cowling just haven't got round to putting it on yet lol cheers anyway.

boyle_46
17-03-10, 12:37 AM
plugs and leads ? faulty coil ?

wwmnw
17-03-10, 12:38 AM
I doubt its the plugs and leads but it could possibly be.

NovaLad
17-03-10, 12:40 AM
TBH if you or a mate has messed with the wires under where the cowling normally is and when you did that it worked then it is more than likely going to be a problem there...
Start there then work your way to the coil - distributor cap - distributor - alternator etc... etc...

boyle_46
17-03-10, 12:45 AM
what engine you running WMNAMAMAMAM ? lol ive a 1.2 spi that im scrapping soon and was running fine before i broke your more than welcome to bits

wwmnw
17-03-10, 12:48 AM
Novalad, I'll check the wiring in the morning, Boyle its a 1.2 spi as well.

JShannon
17-03-10, 12:57 AM
Had this happen to me fella. It wAs just because the wires were being fookd about with. Just make sure all wires are tight and secure and then refit the cowling and Robert should be your fathers brother!!

Joe:thumb:

david dixon
17-03-10, 12:58 AM
black ignition live, black/red starter live from barrel!

NovaLad
17-03-10, 01:00 AM
What's the blue wire then coming from ignition?
Sure it's a live as i wired something to it in the past.

NovaLad
17-03-10, 01:00 AM

brainsnova
17-03-10, 01:56 AM
there will be a switched live at the ignition switch and it powers the coil and loose power to the coil then bye bye spark :thumb:

Will F
17-03-10, 08:19 AM
It will be the ignition switch - they are dickie as f*** on Novas - I have gone through 2 on oine

Lee
17-03-10, 09:33 AM
I bet the plug is hanging off the ignition barrel and barely making contact.

NL, blue wire is water temp. You are probably thinking of when you wired your stereo, as blue is normally the go live for the amp.

wwmnw
19-03-10, 05:01 PM
It has now escalated into the car not starting, was stuck at work for 3 hours :cry: all the wires seem ok but no spark from the king lead. I'm guessing coil?