PDA

View Full Version : Front brake binding help

Annie
16-03-10, 03:47 PM
Hi guys

I changed my disc's & pads today.
I done the n/s no problem all ok, I've just done the o/s but when I try & turn the wheel it hardly turns like its stuck.
Some one said the pads need to bed in but this doesnt seem rignt as when you drive it the o/s disc gets red hot & i dont want to warp it.
Is it possible its some thing to do with the piston?
A part from this the brakes work fine.
Help needed asap as got work later. :)

Damo
16-03-10, 03:56 PM
Hi guys

I changed my disc's & pads today.
I done the n/s no problem all ok, I've just done the o/s but when I try & turn the wheel it hardly turns like its stuck.
Some one said the pads need to bed in but this doesnt seem rignt as when you drive it the o/s disc gets red hot & i dont want to warp it.
Is it possible its some thing to do with the piston?
A part from this the brakes work fine.
Help needed asap as got work later. :)

Did you clean all the caliper sliders up annie when you took them off?

What years your car just the older type calipers were known for sticking on the sliders?

Dont drive it with it binding either as like you said it will warp the disc pretty quickly.

mowgli
16-03-10, 04:16 PM
if its the old delco brakes, the sliders can seize, but the pistons can jam up badly. just replace them with ATE ones

Annie
16-03-10, 04:21 PM
Its a k plate so yeh it has the crappy slidders, I think i know what it is, Crappy pads from partco, They seem to be slightly to big on the ends & jamming on the caliper when it trys to slide.

I cleaned up the calipers & greased the sliders.

Would the problem with the ends of the pad cause this problem as i say they are a very tight fit.

the caliper isnt seized as when you push the piston in the caliper slides back & forth with ease. gotta be the pads?

Nova_Tek
16-03-10, 04:25 PM
My front O/S caliper seized after I did some very hard braking (original 1.2 beasts). Drove around after not realising, although I felt the car wasn't accelerating correctly, to the point where the disk and pads were smoking. Some massaging from a big hammer at the side of the road sorted it lol

brucer
16-03-10, 06:45 PM
clean the paint off the ends of the pads to help free them off. get the sliders cleaned up nice also.

as said already, dont try drive it again like it. you might burn the pads and you will have to get some more along with discs.

Annie
16-03-10, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the help all sorted - out came the grinder :)

Benn
16-03-10, 08:28 PM
Bin them and fit 256mm calipars and matching disks.

I have some fully working and painted silver 256mm calipars you can have for a few quid.