PDA

View Full Version : 1600 ecotec into nova, MK2 to MK1?

Raf_90
15-03-10, 05:17 PM
Hello all,

Just bought a nice little nova, 1991 993cc 4 speed, i have a 1600 tigra that had a rear end, what is involved in the conversion? Can i still use standard nova mounts??
The engine is a coilpack ign ecotec, ideally id like to run carbs, will the management need to be changed for an aftermarket jobbie to sort out the ignition?

The front wings need replacing so i was considering geeting some mk1 jobbies and grill etc, but do i need a mk1 front panel too? Or are they the same?

Cheers :thumb:

MK999
15-03-10, 05:26 PM
conversion wise your mounts will be slightly different on a 1l but you can use a standard 1.2/3/4/6 nova mount on the O/S, shafts i'm not 100% on, think they must be the same if the 1.0 runs an f10 but again 1.2/3/4/6 works if not, wiring wise it'd be far easier to run the standard injection which would be pretty good on a newer engine like that, but you can run a dizzy setup for carbs without needing spark management, finding a dizzy that fits might be difficult though, if one even exists, as those engines never came with a dizzy as standard to my knowledge.

MattBrown
15-03-10, 05:39 PM
Yeah, mount is differant IIRC on the chassis leg side!

Gearbox is fine, bolt it to the standar box, using standard shafts etc

Mk1 wings will fit as will the grille,, bumpers etc!

Only early ones had a differant front pannel, just dont worry, it will be fine:thumb:

MK999
15-03-10, 06:09 PM

Good job theres only a chassis leg on one side or he might try and buy both mounts eh! lol

Sloth
15-03-10, 06:12 PM

Gearbox is fine, bolt it to the standar box, using standard shafts etc

Mk1 wings will fit as will the grille,, bumpers etc!

Only early ones had a differant front pannel, just dont worry, it will be fine:thumb:

gear box isn't fine as the holes are too small.... shafts are ok tho.

you will need an injection tank as the 1.0 is a single feed. no return. :thumb:

AlexW
15-03-10, 08:30 PM
Engine mount, as said just use a 1.2 item, No need to mod anything at all.

Tank, 1.2spi would be good, with a astra intank pump. Wiring will be a bit harder then if you was doing the conversion on a injection engine.

1.0 shafts will be fine. Theres a rough guide in articles.

Edit: With the carbs, you would need management, as there is NO dizzy around for these engines, as theres simply no hole. Maybe you could do like people do with RWD stuff though and make it run off the cambelt pully. The standard injection isnt actually that bad. Get a different design inlet (Commonly known as powerboxes) and you would love it.

Raf_90
15-03-10, 08:54 PM
Cheers for all the feedback people!
I need to weigh it up, pull it all out and go by eye! :cry:
I have a megasquirt managment system that i had in my carbed xe'd cortina, i assume ill run a 23 tooth wheel on the crank pully??
So 1.2 mount, tigra box, 1.0l driveshafts... Anything else before i wing it?
Cheers :thumb:

swedge
16-03-10, 02:01 PM
its not the actual mount you need its the bracket

Leeboo
16-03-10, 07:47 PM
You will need a radiator from a OHC Nova, or else maybe the tigra rad would fit?

MattBrown
16-03-10, 07:53 PM
Good point, 1.0 rad is differant!

Sloth, what's the differance in the f10, and the f10 on the tigra?

Riggy
17-03-10, 12:12 PM
tigra wouldnt have a f10 matt , would be fitted with f15