PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone close to Eastbourne who wants to save my ass...?

Mk1'SR'Dan
15-03-10, 04:46 PM
hello folks, ive recently rebuilt my engine (C14SE on 40's) and ive got some problems i dont think im going to be able to overcome...

Sloth
15-03-10, 04:49 PM
ok am i missing something?????

Stuart
15-03-10, 04:49 PM
no, and you arent near Eastbourne so jog on.

Sloth
15-03-10, 04:51 PM
cheers.

Mk1'SR'Dan
15-03-10, 04:52 PM
sorry, forgeot to say.... please please please please!!

Jon_nova1
15-03-10, 04:55 PM
maybe explain what the problem is? so we can all converse and laugh...and so anyone from eastbourne sees it they know what you need help with, rather than thinking you've done something to your ass and its rotting away :p

MK999
15-03-10, 04:55 PM
Might need to narrow it down a tad, i.e someone nearby will not be paying your insurance, tax, bailing you out of jail/lying in court for you so you can drive it, etc etc

Mk1'SR'Dan
15-03-10, 05:57 PM
ive just got my engine rebuilt and running, i did post all my problems on that thread but i dont think anyone noticed it... i got it running yesterday, and it was really sketchy at first, ive since tapped a return fuel line into the fuel feed but it still doesnt seem like she wants to turn over, im guessing its not going to be major, but ive probably forgotten to do something simple and im hoping you guys can point out anything that might have overlooked...

MK999
15-03-10, 06:02 PM
After investigating the other thread (we don't all necessarily read every thread here and recognise the link between them just from your username...) Your timing is probably out, as in way out, fuel does not detonate in the inlet manifold. Can't remember exactly which way/which timing causes that affect on carbs though.

Sloth
15-03-10, 06:02 PM
earth straps son, n00b mistake...

Angus Closier
15-03-10, 06:42 PM
earth straps son, n00b mistake...

Have to be a d*ck all the time??? The lads asking a simple question....we all forget to do things sometimes.....like you forgeting to leave?

Mk1'SR'Dan
15-03-10, 08:40 PM
Cheers MK999, the timing is way out, ive twisted it so the line on the dizzy is about 10mm forward, im not sure if thats advancing or retarding to be honest, it did run on saturday, and it will run, i will get it, its going to be something simple anyway... its just every bit of help/knowledge is a massive help... and ive now installed a starter button in the engine bay to save getting in and out of the car all the time... earth straps were done way before i even tried it, and considering ive owned my nova for 6 years and im starting a degree in motorsport engineering in september i wouldnt really consider myself a noob... just making conversation really... read that post from stuart again sloth...

Mk1'SR'Dan
15-03-10, 08:41 PM
Have to be a d*ck all the time??? The lads asking a simple question....we all forget to do things sometimes.....like you forgeting to leave?

well said that man, nice one... theres one in every village mate...

Southie
15-03-10, 08:43 PM
If your turning the dizzy away from you i.e clockwise, then your advancing it. ;)

Mk1'SR'Dan
15-03-10, 08:46 PM
If your turning the dizzy away from you i.e clockwise, then your advancing it. ;)

So i have been retarding it then, im going to paint some little arrows on the bugger tomorrow...would i be wrong in doing that? i have cobbled together something for the vacuum advance, i tapped it into the vacuum pipe from the brake servo, on the servo side of the one way valve, hopefully that'll create a little bit of suction to advance it...

MK999
15-03-10, 10:28 PM

If that's clockwise looking at the dizzy end I have an idea that's retarding, but I haven't played with mine for a bit, i'll give it about 75% sure lol

Angus Closier
15-03-10, 11:36 PM
im starting a degree in motorsport engineering in september

Where you doing this mate? Im not sure about sloth all he seems to do atm is jump down peoples necks?? seen a few threads like it....he f**ks up the most it would seem...never mind

Mk1'SR'Dan
16-03-10, 08:23 AM
Where you doing this mate? Im not sure about sloth all he seems to do atm is jump down peoples necks?? seen a few threads like it....he f**ks up the most it would seem...never mind

Its at Northbrook College, which happens to be on Shoreham airport, its a 50 mile trek 3 times a week but hey... i get to play with a formula renault, a 'sax max' tourning car (gay eggy saxo i know, but its a touring car!) amongst other things, as well as all their diagnostic equipment... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=18652&id=1821220444
that link might work to see some pics ive got up on facebook, but it might not... should be a good crack tho... maths is going to be an ar*e but it has to be done...

Stuart
16-03-10, 08:55 AM
take the vac advance OFF its no use to man nor beast.

Are the vac lines blocked off on the carbs?
What car did the carbs come off?

every fecker is doing a motorsport degree now, waaay back when I nearly did one there was 2-3 places max lol.

MK999
16-03-10, 09:19 AM
every fecker is doing a motorsport degree now, waaay back when I nearly did one there was 2-3 places max lol.

178 between automotive/motorsport my year at uni lol

Mk1'SR'Dan
16-03-10, 09:23 AM
cheers Stu, there still isnt many places offering the degree, ive got a massive commute three times a week, not driving cos it'd cost a fortune...!! trains and bike it is!! anyway, the carbs are weber twin 40 DCOEs, jetted for a nova sport, (this was when i wanted to run them on my 1300 engine, but since swapped to a 1400, i will re-jet them to suit better soon, i did have it running, just pretty lean... and the timing is all over the place... i didnt know 40s had vac lines? i havnt seen a hose joiner anywhere on them...?

Mk1'SR'Dan
16-03-10, 09:27 AM

What uni are you at/did you go to??!

MK999
16-03-10, 09:38 AM
Brookes

Mk1'SR'Dan
16-03-10, 09:40 AM
Lucky you, id rather go there, but i like my comfort zone a bit too much! and i got into Northbrook with a PPP national diploma... unconditional...!!

Stuart
16-03-10, 10:08 AM

I meant 2-3 unis/glorified colleges offering it ;)

I managed to get my course to mix enough into the M/Sport degree without getting too involved as it was run badly and they loved the formula stupid (oops student) project too much.

most 40's will have a tube coming off them that would take a vac line to the dizzy. Just block those off and leave the dizzy one free to air.
What fuel pump/regulator setup have you got?

MK999
16-03-10, 10:11 AM
I managed to get my course to mix enough into the M/Sport degree without getting too involved as it was run badly and they loved the formula stupid (oops student) project too much.

I was pretty disappointed by that too, as the formula schools is actually half decent, ok all the cars are a bit botched up cos no one knows what they're doing with them, but it was a decent enough competition and actual racing (sort of :p), not how fast can you drive in a circle until the fuel runs out lol

Mk1'SR'Dan
16-03-10, 10:18 AM
im only running the standard mech pump atm, but the sport ran them with no trouble, my mates did with a kent ast2... revved to 8500rpm apparently... i want to get the bottom end strengthened up and some new shells and rings before i put a facet on them... i havnt seen any tubes that look like vacuum tubes anywhere on my carbs... and my vacuum advance does work, i spent months and months hunting for a spanking new one so the diaphragm inside wasnt fooked... that was when i was running the dreaded pierburg 2E3...

Mk1'SR'Dan
16-03-10, 10:21 AM
I was pretty disappointed by that too, as the formula schools is actually half decent, ok all the cars are a bit botched up cos no one knows what they're doing with them, but it was a decent enough competition and actual racing (sort of :p), not how fast can you drive in a circle until the fuel runs out lol

The formula team at this college do pretty well as far as im aware, they finished in the top 5 so ive been told... they race at brands...

Stuart
16-03-10, 10:28 AM
forumla ren is not formula student ;)

You might be pushing too much fuel itno the carbs, you still need a fuel pressure reg after the pump but before the carbs, set to 3-4psi

MK999
16-03-10, 10:37 AM
and they're not registered as an entry in formula student either, just looked it up as I'd not heard of them before and if they were top 5 runners I'm sure they would have been mentioned. Also found the course I think you're doing, Motorsport foundation 2 years? I did a 1 year course at brookes as a substitute for my low A levels/AS levels instead, although mines a HND to get onto the degree stage, it's a weird looking course being a year shorter and only foundation when it's course code everywhere else relates to automotive engineering at BEng level. I'd dig around some more make sure you know what's going on/are happy with it.

The formula renault thing you've probably got the wrong end of the stick and they have a student who is sponsored by renault to be there or drives for them etc, we've got a couple as well.

Mk1'SR'Dan
16-03-10, 12:01 PM
forumla ren is not formula student ;)

You might be pushing too much fuel itno the carbs, you still need a fuel pressure reg after the pump but before the carbs, set to 3-4psi

this sounds about right... it still doesnt explain why it ran, and then gave up...? And i dont really care about working on the formula car anyway, it doesnt look anything that special, i just want the bit of paper at the end of the course, im going to be the engineer for my mate who races a nova E16SE at brands in the 150bhp/tonne class so that'll make up for any shortcomings methinks...

Stuart
16-03-10, 02:35 PM
it could have been 'ok' to start up but then too much fuel has sooted/wet the plugs a treat etc.

bet if you cleaned the plugs, left them out for a day it would do the same (start, spit, stop).

Mk1'SR'Dan
16-03-10, 03:57 PM
i think it would start, but its killing batteries really quickly...