PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Subs

Dave.
13-03-10, 04:45 PM
As above, i have a hexagon Sony XPLOD currently in the corsa, providing my amp can power it, im thinking of fitting my spare JBL sub i have too

Just wondering what peoples experiences are with mixing and matching subs? does it sound crap, or not much different? or better? lol

:thumb:

FB_evolutions
13-03-10, 05:32 PM
TBH mate there both cheap subs so just buy anothe one! and i wouldnt mix and match subs.

Jack
13-03-10, 06:27 PM
depends how you have it wired, as they'll both be putting different loads on the amp.

BTW, you mean pentagon sub?

MattBrown
14-03-10, 11:09 AM
Cheap subs ftl dave!

Sperate amp for each sub unless your going monoblock!

Just concentrate on going fast rather than a big stereo:)

L14MNP
14-03-10, 11:22 AM
TBH mate there both cheap subs so just buy anothe one! and i wouldnt mix and match subs.

This.

puss puss
14-03-10, 11:25 AM
flog the sub's and amps

get a good single sub with a monoblock amp

treat your ears :)

edit: to give you a idea when i was 17 in my 1st nova i had a 12" jl audio sub with a alpine monoblock amp

was awsome nice and low, not to loud but more importantly clear :)

craig green
14-03-10, 11:19 PM
So long as they are in sperate boxes & as Jack says, independantly run or wired.
Mixing the sizes could give you a better sound spectrum, though only if setup to optimise this.

Asa-James
16-03-10, 10:02 PM
I used to run a JBL 12" and an SPLX 10", separatly powered in my corolla, had no issues with it as me and a lad i used to work with set it up properly so o had a good range. Only bad thing was the weight, and loss of all boot space lol

Nova_Tek
16-03-10, 10:31 PM
I'd stick with one sub (which ever is the beter one) Unless they're both setup properly then it could sound worse (worse case scenario) Why have two subs anyway? It's only a Nova with a boot the size of a suitecase.

I have one Sony Pentagon 10'' Sub in a correctly sized box with an amp designed for it on a low pass filter. Nowhere near an expensive setup but it does the job very very well, with more than enough bass. I couldn't be happier.

MattBrown
16-03-10, 10:37 PM
I'd stick with one sub (which ever is the beter one) Unless they're both setup properly then it could sound worse (worse case scenario) Why have two subs anyway? It's only a Nova with a boot the size of a suitecase.

I have one Sony Pentagon 10'' Sub in a correctly sized box with an amp designed for it on a low pass filter. Nowhere near an expensive setup but it does the job very very well, with more than enough bass. I couldn't be happier.

You can always be happier;)

Id rather go fast than have a big stereo, im past all that, i know im only 18, but i soon learned it wasnt for melol

craig green
16-03-10, 10:41 PM
You can always be happier;)

Id rather go fast than have a big stereo, im past all that, i know im only 18, but i soon learned it wasnt for melol

See I've come full circle & just want an all round modified car, kinda mid nineties OEM with every box ticked.

ICE systems are all about the setup. The amount of times I've got cars sounding better when the owners were bragging about the SQ is quite a few. Out of phase speakers is the biggest culprit, I have a good ear for it.

Nova_Tek
16-03-10, 10:45 PM
Of course, but spending £££ even ££££ on a stereo system is pointless and tbh you don't even need to spend many hundreds to get a good clear sound ime. Plus I doubt I'd be happier after spending that much money.

I'm not one for playing bass out the car that can be felt/heard 10 cars behind. That's just stupid, but I enjoy music and would like to make sure I hear a nice frequency range, hence me having a sub and lots of speakers not coz I wanna act like a c0ck.

FB_evolutions
16-03-10, 11:47 PM
got 2 fusion subs here - make me a decent offer and there yours - really gud condition in box un-marked

L14MNP
18-03-10, 11:15 AM
For a decent SQ setup you will have to pay a little. I recommend Focal Utopias for components. Choose the rest carefully.

Agreed with CG (as per), repped mate I have a good ear for this type of thing also.

FB_evolutions
18-03-10, 01:35 PM
for components or Subs - u want go Bravox

andy_mk3
18-03-10, 02:03 PM
Out of phase speakers is the biggest culprit, I have a good ear for it.

What are out of phase speakers?

Nova_Tek
18-03-10, 02:23 PM
Put simply, if two speakers on two amps playing a sound don't act at the same time then you get phase difference. If this happens then, we technically call it, s*it sound lol

This can also casue phase cancellation where by the sound waves will cancel each other out prodcuing a poorer sound.

Same when in a studio recording. If the recording is out of phase then the recording it self will sound crap.

Lucky Luke!
22-03-10, 12:56 AM
The most common cause of out of phase speakers is incorrect polarity, ( i.e when one speaker is pushing the other is pulling ) when that happens on a good system it really throws the whole thing out, after years of experience you do get a good ear for it, however sometimes i have to resort back to using the test equipment!

Gibbo
22-03-10, 04:05 PM
that only done by crossing the wires (i.e butting the + and - on one sub were its ment to be. and on the other sub the + on the - and the - on the +.
if you think you have done this all you have to it do is take a wire off one sub and if it sounds better/morebass just swap wires over

mixing sub will sound different as some sub will act different on different frequencies