PDA

View Full Version : When peeps are on about 'Looms' what do they mean?

Snowface
15-04-03, 06:17 PM
I know its something to do with the electrics.

brian
15-04-03, 06:48 PM
The wiring together for the whole car or a certain part of the car as in engine bay loom or interior loom

ade
15-04-03, 08:49 PM
its basically a bunch of wires thats wrapped in lotrs of electrical tape that connect certain things together (obviously!)

Like brian says, theres different "looms" for different things

Engine loom covers all engine management, lights, radiator, servos sensors etc (all to do with stuff under bonnet)

Central locking loom usually has the wires for the electric windows all merged into it so in tis case you get 2 looms wrapped up in one. However you dont have to use both - they are seperate just taped together...

ade

Aragorn
15-04-03, 10:57 PM
http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71745&highlight=

thats a few photos of a GTE engine loom

Pity no one answered my query :evil:

ade
16-04-03, 12:08 AM
lol m8 - I didnt even see it!

I'll be honest and say i cant help however what you could try is lay the loom out as it would be in the engine and see where the wires lye.

Most looms wires are set to just reach certain items and so nothing gets mixed up most have different fitments.

Based on what lies where you should (with a pic of a GTE engine and knowledge of what goes where) be able to roughly work out whats nearest to fit.

Using the pic in Haynes on page 13.11 you can sort of make out some of them...

eg - number 1... not too sure but the big connector next to it is the airflow sencor connector - so whats near that (cable not too long)
if it is the throttle posn switch then number 2 will be the supplimentary air (close to each other)

No 3 is dizzy - can tell by shape

No 4 defo looks like part of coil (rectangle one with green wire) not too sure about the other one though

Ste_Nova
16-04-03, 09:29 AM
http://mig.lathwood.co.uk/upload/l/loom.jpg

Nova-Boy
16-04-03, 09:37 AM
Nice to see you have your haynes out! :o