PDA

View Full Version : Extending sky + box to other side of room

puss puss
12-03-10, 09:56 PM
hello and good evening all.

I have a sky + box in my living room and i have decided i want to move it to the other side of the room. Now the cables that come from my dish are very short so i want to extend them how ever the connextions on the end are like some i have never seen before.

Anyone know how i could extend these is it a simple diy job or do i need to pay mr sky man to come move it for me? I seriously hope not :roll:

ty

(the miss's made me post this lol)

7ova
12-03-10, 10:02 PM
unless you know a sky man?
you need to replace the wires from your dish with longer wire's
its not hard, on the dish end there just screwed on,
or look out for a sky man in your street and slip him a tenner
job done :thumb:

AlexW
12-03-10, 10:12 PM
^ No you dont.

You can get the correct connections to make an extension, Think you can get the bits from B&Q and places like that. I done this when i moved my tv.

Anymore info needed?

Graeme
12-03-10, 10:14 PM
I just got the fittings from maplin and a bit of coax cable, piece of p155

General Baxter
12-03-10, 10:17 PM
are they them silly screw ones, they just screw off to leave a coax cable lol

puss puss
12-03-10, 10:28 PM
awsome cheers fellas ill pop down to maplins or bnq and have a gander thanks a lot :)

bazil
13-03-10, 02:11 AM
Rember sky+ is twin core coax not single, and as said maplin FTW

phazer
13-03-10, 08:38 AM
The plugs you need are 'F' connectors, screwfix sell the plugs dirt cheap and you should be able to get a coupler from Maplin as I don't think SF sell them (assuming you want to extend the existing cable rather than running a totally new one).

Then look here for details of how to fit the plugs properly:
http://www.satcure.com/tech/fconn.htm

Satcure also has details on what cable you want to buy for the job also.

duck-sri
13-03-10, 02:54 PM
Rember sky+ is twin core coax not single, and as said maplin FTW

its not twin core, its two seperate feeds from the dish, both coaxes will need extending,

be careful when you terminate the coax as stray braids from the outer sheath can cause a short, make sure you try to get screened sat100 cable as coax is absolute toss, and the price difference is pennies!!

duck