PDA

View Full Version : Ripped off by a garage!

Jon_nova1
12-03-10, 07:40 PM
So i have a mate that took thier car to a garage to get a c20xe fitted to a corsa, long story short is she bought things or the majority of the things to do the conversion, but the garage claims she never, they appeared to have kept things and have given her the car back after selling the engine!

The parts they said she never took they said they bought them for her, so essentially she has paid twice, but she's not seen the parts since, just a white corsa with no engine, any help? i'm thinking the only way to go is a small claims court?

Plug
12-03-10, 07:47 PM
has she got receipts for the parts?

AlexW
12-03-10, 07:52 PM
Il get in early. Pics of her?

Receipts is the only thing she can hope for tbh. Dont think theres much she can do if theres no paper trail and never had proof of owning the parts.

Graeme
12-03-10, 08:00 PM
Is this out of Warrington mate? A friend of mine asked if I had any bits for a xe has a girl was struggling to get the car finished, if she needs a garage to finish it I can recommend one, that can be trusted

Jon_nova1
12-03-10, 08:14 PM
Can't put pics up, i linked her to the topic lol

i'm not sure if she took it to a garage in warrington as she's based in Runcorn, do you know the garage he owns Graeme?

I've suggested it may be best to go through small claims and get proof, but thought i'd ask here and link her as there will be alot more information available

Graeme
12-03-10, 08:17 PM
I thought it was runcorn, she had some bits of my mate for it, don't think I know who has doing the car though, can't believe she's been ripped off

muzzy
12-03-10, 08:20 PM
Best get all the receipts together to have something to back up the claims on the girls side. It's far too easy in this case for the garage to claim that nothing was handed over if the girl has no proof of parts.

mowgli
12-03-10, 08:21 PM
knowing how mechanics treat women, i'm sure they do a module at college on talking down to feeble minded womenfolk, why did she go direct to a garage??

Andy_L
12-03-10, 08:21 PM
So i have a mate that took thier car to a garage to get a c20xe fitted to a corsa, long story short is she bought things or the majority of the things to do the conversion, but the garage claims she never, they appeared to have kept things and have given her the car back after selling the engine!

The parts they said she never took they said they bought them for her, so essentially she has paid twice, but she's not seen the parts since, just a white corsa with no engine, any help? i'm thinking the only way to go is a small claims court?

Pictures receipts?

Quote of work and price by garage??

Anything really, tbh name and shame the garage as they sound like a lovely bunch of tosers

Jon_nova1
12-03-10, 08:22 PM
Me neither, she had pretty much everything to do the conversion with because i was offering some parts, but they said they had to buy things, then they apparently sold the engine and bits and just gave her a rolling chassis (not sure if it had her old engine in it)

I've no idea why she went to a garage to be honest, i only heard about it halfway through the conversion and assumed she'd taken it to a mate or something?

will see if she will tell me what the garage is called!

muzzy
12-03-10, 08:23 PM
Did she receive an invoice for the work carried old ie removing old engine?

Jon_nova1
12-03-10, 08:29 PM
I don't have that information yet, she messaged me on facebook asking if she'd mentioned anything about what parts she'd taken and explained the story, then she messaged me again tonight asking if i know anyone that could be of help to her legally, i suggested getting proof (reciepts, recorded phone calls etc) then seeing a solicitor with the one hour free thing with the plan of going to a small claims court and telling her about the topic as people on here tend to be knowledgable and may have a better idea on what to do

Graeme
12-03-10, 08:32 PM
I honestly believe if its all been word of mouth or her just turning up and handing over parts then she is going to struggle, good luck to her but what solid proof does she have, even with reciepts that only proves she has bought them not taken them to the garage for the conversion

mowgli
12-03-10, 08:36 PM
i am untrained in mechanics, all the stuff i do is self taught.... i think i could manage a xe swap in about 2 days tops with my tools & a pair of haynes books, and some conversion parts......i was always lead to believe a corsa was really easy to convert......

Jon_nova1
12-03-10, 08:45 PM
she's a girl though lol

will see what she says, she might register if she hasn't already to explain a little better!

dj_wudgey
12-03-10, 08:46 PM
take the f*ckers to court!!

Graeme
12-03-10, 08:49 PM
I'll speak to my mate and find out if he knows anythin

Jon_nova1
12-03-10, 08:51 PM
Cheers Graeme, she'll appreciate that

and Wudgey....why not lol

John
12-03-10, 08:52 PM
i am untrained in mechanics, all the stuff i do is self taught.... i think i could manage a xe swap in about 2 days tops with my tools & a pair of haynes books, and some conversion parts.

What are you waiting for!

mowgli
12-03-10, 08:53 PM
if they sold stuff that wasn't theirs, and disappeared other stuff, then you get the rozzers involved.
if its he said, she said, then get trading standards involved.

mowgli
12-03-10, 08:57 PM
What are you waiting for!

i also know that 2 days after fitting one, i would be either arrested or hospitallised..
i have a self imposed limit of 1600, i nearly killed myself in a crash with a 1600, i know that 100 odd hp is fast enough for me.

Tony M
12-03-10, 08:59 PM
Make your own receipts up for second hand parts she bought. They can't prove you made them up.

mowgli
12-03-10, 09:03 PM
Make your own receipts up for second hand parts she bought. They can't prove you made them up.

cough, public forum, cough

Tony M
12-03-10, 09:05 PM
cough, public forum, cough

lol

Jon_nova1
12-03-10, 09:05 PM
its ok, even if someone had the information he posted she might not get receipts made up, so they may try and prove something that never happened. If she has got them, she could have easily paid via paypal etc

Tony M
12-03-10, 09:09 PM
Citizen's advice?

Jon_nova1
12-03-10, 09:18 PM
citizens advice? isn't that all about accomodation etc? lol

Graeme
12-03-10, 09:23 PM
Just spoke to my mate about the car and had a very different story to you Jon, He has seen it within the last few weeks and said it need wiring to finish and apparently it has come to a halt in an arguement about money suprise suprise

Tony M
12-03-10, 09:25 PM
From what I know, providing the right person is there for the appropriate situation. They should be able to give you some sort of information on what valid grounds you have to prosecute etc

muzzy
12-03-10, 09:27 PM
All sounds very strange without knowing enough facts really. If what has been said is true then first stop should be CAB as they will direct her in the right direction, if they fail then speak to a solicitor and chase it through small claims. As has been said somewhere, if they have stolen parts and sold them on then it is not just a civil matter but also a police matter.

dj_wudgey
12-03-10, 09:31 PM
yea id go the police me and if that fails burn the garage!!

Tony M
12-03-10, 09:33 PM
yea id go the police me and if that fails burn the garage!!

Always one lol

nova danny1
12-03-10, 11:43 PM
get the true story posted up and the name of the garage then we can properly make judgements.

burgo
13-03-10, 04:16 AM
if it is clean cut as she says then it would be obvious what to do and she would have done by now. dodgyness going on imo

Ben
13-03-10, 06:47 AM
It sounds to me like they done the work, she hasnt paid on time so they have flogged parts etc to the value of the original bill.

Stuart
13-03-10, 08:28 AM

Thats Tourist Information you are thinking of there you chimp :p