PDA

View Full Version : Coughin on twin 40's

LewisJC
15-04-03, 08:39 AM
I've got a nova sport on twin 40's with twin K&N's. Problem is, when i boot the throttle from less than 4000rpm, and even sometimes higher, it coughs and splutters for a few seconds before lighting up the tyres and tearing off like a mental thing.
Any ideas on how to stop the splutter? I've lowered the floats in the carbs, that seems to have helped, anyhting else I could try?

Cheers

Stuart
15-04-03, 09:22 AM
from what we did at velos yesterday i'd suggest this

go to a "tuning" or decent garage taht can jet the carbs

have the idle and acceleration jets/needles checked or adjusted since they may have worn due to the age of them.

if you can spring for it try an hour on the rollers to get the loaded settings setup well too.

then it will be back to its former glory

LewisJC
15-04-03, 09:49 AM
ah, good suggestions, but critically flawed!!!

There's nowhere in cornwall with a rolling road, and the most reputable tuner in my area has already had the car, setup the mixture and balanced the carbs, and they seem to think the jets were fine. I was wondering whether a flowed head and 4 branch manifold will help draw the fuel and air through?

mikeoxford
15-04-03, 02:45 PM
as cambrdige said itll be a carb problem not an engine one..........

so youll have to find another garage / mechanic

LewisJC
15-04-03, 04:14 PM
Yeah, sounds bout right, this ones gonna get expensive then....

mikeoxford
15-04-03, 04:18 PM
Yeah, sounds bout right, this ones gonna get expensive then....

engine tuning has NEVER been cheap :wink:

rob.slader
18-04-03, 01:08 PM
How far into cornwall are you? I always took my Nova on 40's to a top tuning place just outside Exeter, they know everything there is to know about 40's, the owner has an original Nova sport too with some serious mods, it goes like a rocket! Yes they have a rolling road too.

cornish
18-04-03, 06:49 PM
Whats the name of this place Rob?

rob.slader
18-04-03, 10:04 PM
Tipton Garage in Tipton St John. Just outside Exeter. They do know their stuff. They mod heads, do engine conversions etc etc. My sr on 40's was sweet as a nut after they had it in for a couple of hours.