PDA

View Full Version : Driving test booked! :) (27th march)

nova1992
11-03-10, 01:26 PM
Just booked my driving test for the 27th march :cool:

Need some adivce to be honest.

What do i need to look out for? i.e small mistakes

I have a mock test sorted before the test, and 6 lessons (6 hours with bsm)

Most people say "just watch out for people crossing ect"

What is the most common fail factor?

Thanks guys!! :thumb:

REDTOm
11-03-10, 01:35 PM
good luck mate.

I would say if you make a small mistake, which you probably will under pressure, dont let it get to you and **** the whole thing up as it may well just go down as a minor so drive as if nothings happened untill you turn the car off (obviously only applies to some things... if you mow an old lady down while shouting hell yeah then its probably best to just stop and return to walking for a while)

Stuart
11-03-10, 01:36 PM
so you are only doing 6hrs of proper lessons?

phail lol

Southie
Always remember to keep using your mirrors and don't cross your hands, other than that just stick to the speed limits and pay attention and be aware of the cars all around.

Just relax and you'll be fine. Good luck. :)

Graeme
Good luck mate and I bet things have changed alot since I did my test

nova1992
11-03-10, 01:39 PM
so you are only doing 6hrs of proper lessons?

phail lol

I've had a good 15-18 lessons already :thumb:

nova1992
11-03-10, 01:40 PM
Always remember to keep using your mirrors and don't cross your hands, other than that just stick to the speed limits and pay attention and be aware of the cars all around.

Just relax and you'll be fine. Good luck. :)

Cheers Southie, I hoping my mock test will calm the nerves and help me relax during real deal. :cool:

Southie
11-03-10, 01:43 PM
Well it's 16 years ago since I did mine so things will undoubtedly have changed, mock test whats that. lol

nova1992
11-03-10, 01:45 PM
My driving instructor has arrange a practise test, So i can see what i "could" fail on the real thing.

+ Thanks to everyone who said good luck :thumb:

blue_peg_16v
11-03-10, 01:47 PM
the average amount of lessons needed is 44 hours so your pushing it has your instructor advised you to book the test or have you done it off your own back? good luck with it but your instructor will let you know if your ready

muzzy
11-03-10, 01:47 PM
Common reason for people failing (my mates) was not checking mirrors enough. Make sure you do because they will most definitely pick up on it if you don't.

Good luck with it.

nova1992
11-03-10, 01:51 PM
the average amount of lessons needed is 44 hours so your pushing it has your instructor advised you to book the test or have you done it off your own back? good luck with it but your instructor will let you know if your ready

Well i am pretty confident, And i know people who have done there test and passed with around 10-15 lessons. Some with only 9 hours.

nova1992
11-03-10, 01:52 PM
Common reason for people failing (my mates) was not checking mirrors enough. Make sure you do because they will most definitely pick up on it if you don't.

Good luck with it.

Can you get scored down for checking to much? As i check ALOT due to riding a motobike ect.

Curtoise
11-03-10, 01:55 PM
i did 11 lessons.... anyway, just make sure u ALWAYS look over your shoulder when pulling out, and check side mirrors and rear 1 all the time, also stick to right lanes ect just dont cock up on small things lol

nova1992
11-03-10, 02:05 PM
Cheers curt! If i pass ill be down to pick up a few bits. ha :)

Connor
11-03-10, 02:11 PM
Good luck son,
only tip... keep control of your nerves and you will be fine..
.. its not hard driving for half hour perfectly is it?

nova1992
11-03-10, 02:14 PM
Cheers connor! :)

My nerves are already going and i have 2 weeks to wait ha.

I am taking my nova out for the first time now! :D

rubachuk
11-03-10, 04:19 PM
44 hours!!! Must be some dodgy old codgers out there pushing the average up quite a bit lol I got told rule of thumb one lesson for every year old you are...

To reiterate what's been said, MIRRORS. I got 7 minors, 1 for pulling forward on my parallel parking, and 6 for mirrors. Make it clear to the examiner that you're looking at them too, sometimes a flick of the eyes is hard to pick up so move your head a touch. Don't take the piss and move right up to them though lol

NovaLad
11-03-10, 04:36 PM
Take your time... Relax... Do all your checks EVERYTIME before you set off... allways check your speed as going too fast can be a fail.
Remember you don't have to do your maneuvers in 1 go i remember you used to be able to request to have another go but make sure you get it right.

Nova_Tek
11-03-10, 05:01 PM
Drive like an old biddie lol

Relax and take your time. You must be confiendt in your decisions, lots of hesitancy will put a question mark over you. Don't forget to use your handbrake when stationary. Rolling back is a fail.

Going too slow will fail and even 1 mph over the said speed limit for that road is a fail. As you drive around you'll use your mirrors the most so check them constantly. I exaggerated my mirror useage and made sure that I was moving my head coz there were times in my lessons that the instructor would say 'you're not checking mirrors' even though I was but only moving my eyes. So I just made it more obvious.

You just need to make it look like you're in control.

blue_peg_16v
11-03-10, 05:25 PM
44 hours!!! Must be some dodgy old codgers out there pushing the average up quite a bit lol I got told rule of thumb one lesson for every year old you are...

To reiterate what's been said, MIRRORS. I got 7 minors, 1 for pulling forward on my parallel parking, and 6 for mirrors. Make it clear to the examiner that you're looking at them too, sometimes a flick of the eyes is hard to pick up so move your head a touch. Don't take the piss and move right up to them though lol

nah its women pushing it up lol

and i wasnt saying its imposible i only had 6 lessons but had driven alot with my dad so was just polishing out bad habits lol

nova-taken
11-03-10, 05:31 PM
good luck dude, just take your time and it should be fine

MattBrown
11-03-10, 05:32 PM

Funking lol!

That must be why Bex is so skinted:)

10 hours for me, and first time pass, now im getting banned though:(

CoolTiger
11-03-10, 05:34 PM
i had 5lessons = 7 hours :D
pass first time 3 minors :)

MattBrown
11-03-10, 05:37 PM

I got 2 minors, does that make my penis bigger than yours? lol

blue_peg_16v
11-03-10, 05:38 PM
Funking lol!

lol what ya done like

there was a lad at school that failed 6 times so god knows how many lessons he had

there was another lad tho that had no lessons hed been out on airfields with his dad and passed on his birthday was before the theory test lol

and 6 lessons for me = 6 hours lol

MattBrown
11-03-10, 05:44 PM
lol what ya done like

there was a lad at school that failed 6 times so god knows how many lessons he had

there was another lad tho that had no lessons hed been out on airfields with his dad and passed on his birthday was before the theory test lol

and 6 lessons for me = 6 hours lol

Alledgedly Racing a corsa (I wasn't)

Alledgedly Having a cut in a tyre down to canvas (Got tyre here, no canvas)

! bald tyre on inside lip with 1 thread out of it, that was my own fault for not checking, apart from the 1 tyre, I have done **** all wrong, try telling them that lol

novaboyopr
11-03-10, 05:50 PM
i didnt think it was as hard as everyone made out, just relaxed and drove got 2 minors for some crap.
did help the instructor being a cateram 7 racer and we just chatted about f1 for an hour while i showed him my skills lol

Jack
11-03-10, 06:28 PM
My ex failed something like 7 times. She was/is fcuking useless at driving though lol

As said, just relax. Good tip I was given was to move your mirrors slightly out of alignment, so when you have to look in them you actually have to move your head a bit rather than just glance - this means your examiner will be able to see you look in the mirrors as they won't notice if you just glance in them. Also talk yourself through manouevers as you do them so they know you're aware of the processes and how to do things correctly.

Good luck :d

MattBrown
11-03-10, 06:30 PM
My ex failed something like 7 times. She was/is fcuking useless at driving though lol

As said, just relax. Good tip I was given was to move your mirrors slightly out of alignment, so when you have to look in them you actually have to move your head a bit rather than just glance - this means your examiner will be able to see you look in the mirrors as they won't notice if you just glance in them. Also talk yourself through manouevers as you do them so they know you're aware of the processes and how to do things correctly.

Good luck :d

Point well made, make sure you move your head exageratedly (SP)

Just keep cool, and if its a woman, don't stare at her chest lol

dj_wudgey
11-03-10, 07:05 PM
good luck matey!!

FB_evolutions
11-03-10, 09:06 PM
i found hardest remember! when stoped after any turn in the road, emergancy stop, reverse round a corner and u go to set off again make sure u check over ya shoulder!

and gud news i have heard that feeding the steering wheel thru your hands will or is now not imporant! but make sure with your instructer

staggy_gsi
11-03-10, 09:39 PM
my advice would have been dont tell anyone when it is if you want to avoid getting ripped to shreds if you fail....

nova1992
11-03-10, 10:55 PM
Thanks guys!

plus if i fail i fail :)

Just took the nova out for the first time ever WOW.

NovaLad
11-03-10, 11:02 PM
Hope you're insured?

Nova_Tek
11-03-10, 11:03 PM
Thanks guys!

plus if i fail i fail :)

Bet you were loving it :)

nova1992
11-03-10, 11:10 PM
Novalad Yeah im fully comp, £750 on a prov :) *Made that mistake on a bike*

And Nova_tek i was LOVING IT.

Jack
12-03-10, 10:12 AM
I remember when I drove Martin's 1.2. I said WOW too, but I don't think it was the same kinda WOW that you were thinking of lol

mk1nova_rich
12-03-10, 10:28 AM
Good luck with test mate :) I was really nervous when i started mine but after 5 mins i thought i had failed already and that helped me relax loads. Tried starting in 3rd twice :tard: never done that in my lessons or owt. But after that i drove fine and passed first time.

nova1992
27-03-10, 07:46 AM
Its the 27th, I have 1 hour !!

General Baxter
27-03-10, 07:46 AM
go **** your self lol

edit: that sounds bad now stupid filter looks like i was being nasty lol

nova1992
27-03-10, 07:49 AM
Lmao, Cheers i spose haha.

nova1992
27-03-10, 07:50 AM
Im crapping it.

General Baxter
27-03-10, 07:51 AM
honest, it was not supposed to come out like that lol

Rickardo
27-03-10, 07:52 AM
Good luck mate.. Once it's all over and he/she says you have passed.

The fun begins. :thumb:

General Baxter
27-03-10, 07:55 AM
The fun begins. :thumb:

the learning begins :thumb:

nova1992
27-03-10, 07:56 AM
Why is this so bad, I am shaking ahah. I hae to go now, but ill be back in a few hours and let everyone know! :)

General Baxter
27-03-10, 07:57 AM
get a fit bird tester, lol

the driving worries will go away then lol

Stuart
27-03-10, 08:07 AM
Have a couple of pints.... erm maybe.... actually no.

CoolTiger
27-03-10, 08:49 AM
i bet someone had no sleep last night lol

good luck mate

Andy
27-03-10, 08:52 AM
get yaself off the fukkin net and focus you rajjd puff!!

Seriously though,good luck

andy_mk3
27-03-10, 08:53 AM

I had 11 hours and passed first time :lol:

I think the best advice has already been given. I've just noticed your test is today so good luck :thumb:

General Baxter
27-03-10, 08:54 AM
get yaself off the fukkin net and focus you rajjd puff!!

you lot take it to seriously,

i started to sing tellytubbies with the examiner doing mine lol

Spudly
27-03-10, 08:55 AM
i started to sing tellytubbies with the examiner doing mine lol

Thats cos youre tinky winky lol

Andy
27-03-10, 08:55 AM
Yes i did take mine seriously,i was fukked if i was paying for it again!! lol

General Baxter
27-03-10, 08:56 AM
1st time, 1 minor lol

andy_mk3
27-03-10, 08:58 AM
I drove over the curb on the way out the test station, thought I'd failed straight away but kept at it!

Jon_nova1
27-03-10, 09:05 AM
pffft, don't listen to the ones that say you've not had enough lessons, driving instructors will always try and get what they can, i did my test about 6 years ago within a week!

the thing to watch out for is not getting upto junctions etc, which i got a minor for, because i was too far away from the mouth lol

daleNOVAbrennan
27-03-10, 09:37 AM
pffft, don't listen to the ones that say you've not had enough lessons, driving instructors will always try and get what they can, i did my test about 6 years ago within a week!

the thing to watch out for is not getting upto junctions etc, which i got a minor for, because i was too far away from the mouth lol
just keep calm, dont let anything worry you,if you make a mistake just carry on and forget about it. i passed my test first time after 5 lessons.

Bubba
27-03-10, 09:54 AM
2nd time 8 minors haha.

JordyzNova
27-03-10, 09:56 AM
good luck today mateyy ! :thumb:

nova1992
27-03-10, 10:42 AM
failed on 4 ****ing minors!!!!!!! PRICK

puss puss
27-03-10, 10:45 AM
you cant fail on 4 minors :S

not unless you got some serious bud

nova1992
27-03-10, 10:48 AM
I didn't, After the test he said it was a good drive.

puss puss
27-03-10, 11:04 AM
I didn't, After the test he said it was a good drive.

You cant fail on 4 minors lol..

unless they changed the law but i only done mine ilke 3 years ago

pic's of green mark sheet? :thumb:

Nova_Tek
27-03-10, 11:07 AM
I think he means he failed as he got 4 more minors than allowed i.e. 20 minors.

1 major is a fail.

Unlucky mate, time to book the next one.

MattBrown
27-03-10, 11:20 AM
4 minors is a fail, as they were all for the same thing

More than likely observations?

Bad luck dude, keeps my insurance down though lol lol lol

nova1992
27-03-10, 11:36 AM
I had 4 minors ONLY,

and i will scan it on a bit later mate,

I think its because i "didn't" see a purple people carrier speeding down ladders, I was fully aware he was there, It was approaching a roundabout and there was alot of traffic, I carried on with the traffic flow and the purple car just cut into a few cars behind me, Thats the reason he failed me i think, but what am i going to do? STOP and cause someone to hit the back of me or keep an eye on the purple car and carry on, if i have reason to belive his a hazard to me, then i would take action and stop?

Nova_Tek
27-03-10, 11:55 AM
Well with 4 minors only you should've passed. It sounds like you got 1 major mistake which is maybe what failed it. So it could be 3 minors 1 major.

Jack
27-03-10, 12:05 PM
4 minors is a fail, as they were all for the same thing
^ this, I would guess? Although thats pretty rare to only get 4 minors on one thing and nothing else, unless you got them all within about 2 mins of starting the test and the examiner gave up after that lol

Nova_Tek
27-03-10, 12:06 PM
Ahhh yes I missed that, you're only allowed IIRC 3 of the same fault. Makes perfect sense now

nova1992
27-03-10, 12:21 PM
No, i got 4 Different minors,

Nova_Tek
27-03-10, 12:24 PM
Put up your sheet mate.

dj_wudgey
27-03-10, 12:25 PM
gutted man im glad i passed mine years ago!

nova1992
27-03-10, 12:26 PM
I will get sheet up in a second, :)

George g
27-03-10, 01:17 PM
No, i got 4 Different minors,

Something seriously doesn't add up mate. 4 different minors only is a pass with flying colours! You must have had a serious or dangerous mark on your sheet!

Nova_Tek
27-03-10, 01:27 PM
^ Exactly.

I passed with 3 minors and the examiner said it was a great drive with hardly any mistakes. Dunno how getting 1 more minor would make it a fail especially after the guy said it was a 'good' drive. He/she should've explained to you why you failed, what your faults were and break down/review the drive very briefly. That's how my test was done.

nova1992
27-03-10, 01:30 PM
I had 4 minors ONLY,

I think its because i "didn't" see a purple people carrier speeding down ladders, I was fully aware he was there, It was approaching a roundabout and there was alot of traffic, I carried on with the traffic flow and the purple car just cut into a few cars behind me, Thats the reason he failed me i think, but what am i going to do? STOP and cause someone to hit the back of me or keep an eye on the purple car and carry on, if i have reason to belive his a hazard to me, then i would take action and stop?

He marked me on this, thats what failed me.

George g
27-03-10, 01:45 PM
He marked me on this, thats what failed me.

How can the examiner fail you on something that happened a few cars behind you that didn't really affect you?

Get your sheet up!

muzzy
27-03-10, 01:46 PM
Unlucky dude, don't let it knock your confidence for next time. You should have been told exactly why you failed so you weren't in any doubt, no use you having to guess as to why you failed.

~Bec~
27-03-10, 01:47 PM
Funking lol!

your telling me lol
now you know why i never have any money! lol
it all goes on driving :p

~Bec~
27-03-10, 01:48 PM

adam you big head!
bet you went out with your dad loads!
iv had no help off anyone :(

Angus Closier
27-03-10, 02:19 PM
Bad luck mate! Iv got my test on the 6th of april! And im worried already!! Dont worry about it im sure the examiner was just a c*** If anything i guess it gives you more experiance for next time! At least you know what your going to get in the next test!

Bubba
27-03-10, 02:51 PM
I had 4 minors ONLY,

sounds like something i failed on, apparatly i didnt see the toyota hilux go past me as i started to turn. or the mini that came flying around a blind conrer behind me and had to brake....its proper **** tbh

nova1992
27-03-10, 02:55 PM
sounds like something i failed on, apparatly i didnt see the toyota hilux go past me as i started to turn. or the mini that came flying around a blind conrer behind me and had to brake....its proper **** tbh

Yeah has propa ruined my ****ing day! kinda put me off even bothering with test, As i am near to broke now.

Benn
27-03-10, 04:25 PM
Its amazing what you can be failed for, don't worry about it. Book up another test asap.

I was failed for letting a man cross the road in front of me. Even tho i was stopped in traffic at a roundabout... I had a right strop on.

nova1992
27-03-10, 04:34 PM
I am looking but not tests until after may. I thinking of selling the nova, this really isnt my month. I need some cash to pay for test lol

NovaLad
27-03-10, 04:41 PM
Big tip!!!

Don't tell people when your test is!

That's what i did after the 1st time i failed and it stopped that pressure of having to live up to expectations of passing!

And best of luck! :)

Connor
27-03-10, 04:42 PM
I am looking but not tests until after may. I thinking of selling the nova, this really isnt my month. I need some cash to pay for test lol

chin up mate,
get your next test booked up, and be sure that you will pass,

dont worry my brothers gf had 11 tests and spent nearly 3k to get her licence!!!!!!

nova1992
27-03-10, 04:47 PM
Mate i was 100% sure i would pass, so was instructor. He said i should of passed it was the test person. My instructor recans my driving is perfect. lol

NovaLad
27-03-10, 04:48 PM
That's exactly what my instructor told me and on my test i got 0 minors and 1 major on way back.
It happens to the best of us!
Keep it to yourself then suprise everyone!

:thumb:

Connor
27-03-10, 05:06 PM
Keep it to yourself then suprise everyone!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

NovaLad
27-03-10, 05:09 PM
I remember the oldest 1 of all my mates had been doing his lessons for a few month then 1 day pulled up outside my house in a new fiesta was a feeling i bet he won't forget :)

Jon_nova1
27-03-10, 10:10 PM
get a retest booked asap, my mate failed 3 times due to the strangest coincidences lol

dj_wudgey
27-03-10, 11:45 PM
as stated before get it re done and go for it!! good luck for next time just dont tell any body!!

nova danny1
28-03-10, 12:29 AM
gutted for you mate but i'm sure you will pass next time,don't even think about selling the nova it's coming on well and i want to see it pv!:thumb:
how much are tests now?

andy_mk3
28-03-10, 12:32 AM
gutted for you mate but i'm sure you will pass next time,don't even think about selling the nova it's coming on well and i want to see it pv!:thumb:
how much are tests now?

I paid 60-odd quid when I did mine June last year, and 40-odd for the theory

nova danny1
28-03-10, 12:37 AM
thats gone up:eek: only paid £45 for mine.

bazil
28-03-10, 12:42 AM
over £100 for an hgv test lol

i fialed my car test the first time, better drivers always pass the second time lol

nova danny1
28-03-10, 12:49 AM
over £100 for an hgv test lol

i fialed my car test the first time, better drivers always pass the second time lol

how many times did it take you to pass the hgv test?

bazil
28-03-10, 12:50 AM
first time mate with 8 minors:d

nova danny1
28-03-10, 12:54 AM
better drivers always pass the second time lol

not that good at driving hgv's thenlol only joking mate,how much are lessons roughly for hgv's?

bazil
28-03-10, 02:04 AM
not that good at driving hgv's thenlol only joking mate,how much are lessons roughly for hgv's?

eh i didnt take any lol long story short is i drive a roadbrush (hence the bazil bit)and due to a change of job i required a hgv so i borrowed my bosses 8 wheel tipper for a couple of hours before my test than sat it and passed.

the theory test is about 50 quid and i was quoted for 4 days lessons and my test would cost £875 but they double you up with another learner so you only get 1/2 a days driving each plus its a week of work so it would have cost me over a grand!! so my test fee was £120 for a sat morn test, at that price i could have failed it 10 times and it still would have been cheaper than taking lessons. but i have to add that i had been driving the brushes for 6 years before i sat my test so i had plenty of experience.

nova_saloon
28-03-10, 02:17 AM
slip the guy a fiver at the beginning and jobs a goodun!

Annie
28-03-10, 02:19 AM
I past 1st time with only 2 minors,

unlucky thats all most people pass on the 3rd attempt.

nova1992
28-03-10, 04:30 PM
My test was £120+ lol.

General Baxter
28-03-10, 04:44 PM
i failed my hgv first time, as i jammed the brakes on, he said if i would have ploughed into the car that just pulled out infront of me, he would not of marked me down, but would of failed due to the crash lol

mk1nova_rich
28-03-10, 04:46 PM
i failed my hgv first time, as i jammed the brakes on, he said if i would have ploughed into the car that just pulled out infront of me, he would not of marked me down, but would of failed due to the crash lol

surely if a car pulls out on you and you slam the brakes on, surely thats the best course of action :confused:

CoolTiger
28-03-10, 05:22 PM
i didnt even tell my parents they just thought i was taking a extra long lesson :)