PDA

View Full Version : XE cambelt change.

Damo
11-03-10, 10:21 AM
Right just to gat an idea of what im looking at.

How long for a competent mechanic would it take to change an XE cambelt kit in a nova engine bay.

Do you have to take the mount off etc.

Clearance issues etc.

Let me know what experiences you guys have had.

Damo.

Paul
11-03-10, 10:22 AM
an hour, nope, you can do it with it all still in place.

Dpends how easily the bottom pulley comes off, but seeing as it should have a single V on there, it shouldnt have been on too long so the bolts should be ok in there...

Damo
11-03-10, 10:36 AM
an hour, nope, you can do it with it all still in place.

Dpends how easily the bottom pulley comes off, but seeing as it should have a single V on there, it shouldnt have been on too long so the bolts should be ok in there...

Yea that sounds good then was just more worried over clearance issues with the chassis leg an belt cover and the bottom pully will come off ok ive had all the bolts out other day an there nice an free.

Mazz
11-03-10, 11:13 AM
why didn't you change it before the engine went in?

Damo
11-03-10, 11:49 AM

It were new mate it dosent need doing or anything but it had just had Full GM kit and its just been put in lol was just wondering what kind of job it was as some have said the engines got to come out to do it.:tard:

mowgli
11-03-10, 11:51 AM
swap the water pump too, simply cos its better for your peace of mind knowing it won't fail

Graeme
11-03-10, 11:51 AM
As Paul said, it took me less than an hour and I'm far from a competant mechanic

Graeme
11-03-10, 11:52 AM
swap the water pump too, simply cos its better for your peace of mind knowing it won't fail

That won't come out with the engine mounted

mowgli
11-03-10, 11:55 AM
suddenly all the facts are surfacing

Adam
11-03-10, 11:56 AM
That won't come out with the engine mounted
You sure??

Damo
11-03-10, 11:57 AM

Yea would do anyway mowgli like you said just for peice of mind.

Damo
11-03-10, 11:58 AM
You sure??

Hope it does lol dont really fancy moveing the engine around to get the bugger out.

R1CH
11-03-10, 11:16 PM
Hope it does lol dont really fancy moveing the engine around to get the bugger out.

To remove the water pump you've gotta lower the engine down abit to be able to get the pump past the chassis leg.
Cambelt is pretty straight forward, loads of room ! fiddly-est thing can be getting the top cambelt cover mount bolt on / off.

Graeme
11-03-10, 11:27 PM
You sure??

The backing plate is a barsteward to get out and will have to be bent to get it out and depends how ar5ed you are about scraching fook out of the chassis leg

Adam
11-03-10, 11:29 PM
I was asking because i didnt actually know, ive never tried do a pump with the engine fitted....

Damo
12-03-10, 12:00 AM
To remove the water pump you've gotta lower the engine down abit to be able to get the pump past the chassis leg.
Cambelt is pretty straight forward, loads of room ! fiddly-est thing can be getting the top cambelt cover mount bolt on / off.

That dosent sound too bad then if you only have to lower the engine a little.

craig green
12-03-10, 04:30 PM

Yeah I mean who's Nova actually gets driven enough to warrant a service? lol

mayhem
12-03-10, 04:38 PM
i removed my waterpump with the engine in place. it's a pain in the a$$ to do, but it's possible.

mowgli
12-03-10, 05:17 PM
it will be easy compared to a fiesta diesel. i once took 8 hrs to swap a cambelt on a 2001 xrv.

craig green
12-03-10, 05:42 PM
The tolerances & differences in engine conversions, means + or - a couple mm is the difference between the pump just having room to come out or not.