PDA

View Full Version : 1400 8v vaux engine the same as a daewoo?

chrisnieldgte
10-03-10, 08:53 PM
Ive heard the old daewoos are based on vauxhalls.
Ive been given a daewoo lanos 1400 8v with a goosed engine, it looks the same as a vauxhall unit but does anybody know if im gonna come unstuck if i buy a vaux unit? they seem to be cheaper :)
cheers, chris

comptoncj
10-03-10, 08:59 PM
Theyre the same with a different badge. My mate had one in for a cam replacement a few months ago and the cam arrived with a GM logo covered up by a daewoo badge lol. Get a 1400 astra engine and use the daewoo management off the foobar'd engine would be the best bet.

Damo
10-03-10, 09:02 PM
I though the daewoos were a bigger displacment 1500cc.

Although there just a rebored 1400cc vaux unit.

chrisnieldgte
10-03-10, 09:18 PM
thats funny you should mention cam replacement... the cams knackered in this, oil starvation, all gunked up. i just didnt want to take a chance with just changing the cam/followers etc and the crank being goosed too.
must be a common thing eh?

comptoncj
10-03-10, 09:24 PM
Well its common on vauxhall 8v engines when they havnt been looked after. just take the sump off and make sure the oil strainer isnt blocked might be worth putting a cam and followers in it.

chrisnieldgte
10-03-10, 10:12 PM
i never knew that?? ive had 5 novas and an astra, didnt know about the cams tho...
probly bcoz ive never looked into it haha
cheers for the info fellas :)
this daewoo has done 67000 miles but i dont think its EVER had an oil change..... ewwwww. the oils like tar haha

mowgli
10-03-10, 10:45 PM
remember that daewoos are usually driven by people who know feck all about cars, and they think cos its got an enormous warranty, it will simply run forever

chrisnieldgte
10-03-10, 10:49 PM
true. this was owned by a woman that thinks all you gotta do to a car is put petrol in.... dangerous species..

mowgli
10-03-10, 10:50 PM
did it even have an mot???

craig green
10-03-10, 11:05 PM
...or bought & run on a shoe string budget. Previous owner probably never intended to sell it on.

chrisnieldgte
10-03-10, 11:14 PM
yeah its got an mot. i doubt she organised that tho, most probly her fella.
the girl i got the car off is dangerous with cars, shes dynamite, woteva car she has, she destroys.
she got spanked buying the daewoo, £800 just before xmas with no service history... ouch!!!