PDA

View Full Version : C20XE reliability

Damo
10-03-10, 07:52 PM
Dont know if its the right section but how have you guys found the relaibility of the C20XE in a nova ie milage wise can they be driven as an everyday car and still be reliable obviosuly being serviced regular as normal etc.

Whats your opinions.

Just trying to find out as mines a daily runner.

Damo.

muzzy
10-03-10, 07:54 PM
I have never had any problems, they are the same as any other engine of the same age, keep it serviced and don't thrash its tits off from cold. As long as the conversion has been done properly and no corners have been cut then it will be fine as that's generally where reliability problems come from, its more to do with half arsed wiring than engine problems.

Damo
10-03-10, 07:56 PM
Yea the engines been fitted correctly using the proper parts etc and has just had a full service and like you said its the ones that have been thrown in tat arnt reliable with wiring issues etc.

Cheers for the quick response muzzy.

Keep them coming.

Adam
10-03-10, 07:56 PM
They are a great engine for a daily driver. And because a novas a light car they get good mpg too!!

Rexy
10-03-10, 08:02 PM
Make sure you get the right exhaust, as they can be farking loud.

Daily driving is fine and dandy just respect it and dont kick its head in all the time...

Ben
10-03-10, 08:05 PM
dont kick its head in all the time...

Do as i say not as i do is it lol.

As said they are pretty reliable engines but got to remember the youngest of them is getting on for 17yrs old now and most have gone round the clock a couple of times.

Damo
10-03-10, 08:08 PM
They are a great engine for a daily driver. And because a novas a light car they get good mpg too!!

Yea noticed its great on fuel altough im short filling at the mo due to a faulty fuel sender lol always reading full im filling at 50mls to a tenner just to make sure i dont run out.

What kind of milage should i expect from a tenner for example?

muzzy
10-03-10, 08:09 PM
It all depends on how your driving etc, it's been a few years since i've ran a 2.0 Nova so i couldn't tell you now since fuel prices are so much more lol

I can say that my mates 2.0 8v Nova gets hardly any miles to a tenner because its overfuelling so much that BP were considering setting a rig up at the end of his exhaust

Damo
10-03-10, 08:11 PM

Daily driving is fine and dandy just respect it and dont kick its head in all the time...

Am running calibra front pipe with a piece made to fit the standard nova center and a stainless rear and its quiet as fook compared to what it was on my 1.2i lol and nar i dont kick its head in all the time ive kind of grown out of that stage now haveing 2 kids lol i just respect it as i know its fast;) .

Damo
10-03-10, 08:13 PM
Do as i say not as i do is it lol.

As said they are pretty reliable engines but got to remember the youngest of them is getting on for 17yrs old now and most have gone round the clock a couple of times.

Yea thats the problem and its got to be appreciated tnhat they will have problems at some time due to age etc touch wood ive got a good one it uses no oil/water etc and it dosent even leak from the sump lol .

But its a little noisy form the lifters from a cold start.

Damo
10-03-10, 08:16 PM
It all depends on how your driving etc, it's been a few years since i've ran a 2.0 Nova so i couldn't tell you now since fuel prices are so much more lol

I can say that my mates 2.0 8v Nova gets hardly any miles to a tenner because its overfuelling so much that BP were considering setting a rig up at the end of his exhaust

LOL at the mo im kind of rev restricted anyway due to a faulty Knock sensor so when i approach 3000rpm i get the ecu light but under that its fine but enen considering fuel prices i dont think its too bad for a 2.0lt it was a little thristy at first but it hadnt been ruin for months but now everything settled is fine.

Jack
10-03-10, 08:23 PM
I saw a good 35-40mpg from mine without trying for mileage too hard.

Ran it a couple miles with no oil as well and it was fine. Pretty tough engines really.

Damo
10-03-10, 08:27 PM
I saw a good 35-40mpg from mine without trying for mileage too hard.

Ran it a couple miles with no oil as well and it was fine. Pretty tough engines really.

Is that at current prices though jack?

If so im well under filling it lol an i not even reving it hard highest ive been is 2700rpm due to my restriction with the managment light.

mowgli
10-03-10, 08:29 PM
Is that at current prices though jack?

If so im well under filling it lol an i not even reving it hard highest ive been is 2700rpm due to my restriction with the managment light.

since when has mpg had anything to do with the price????

Bubba
10-03-10, 08:30 PM
i beat the piss out of mine for 2 years...had no problems wit it at all

Jack
10-03-10, 08:32 PM
LMFAO yeah, MPG has nowt to do with the price!

Adam
10-03-10, 08:32 PM
On motorway/steady driving i get about 40mpg too

Damo
10-03-10, 08:36 PM
since when has mpg had anything to do with the price????

True just seems at the mo because the prices are so high that you dont seem to get as much out of your money that what i meant lol.

Damo
10-03-10, 08:38 PM
i beat the piss out of mine for 2 years...had no problems wit it at all

Lol well you carnt argue with that^^ altough mines got to last as being my only mode of transport lol me an buses dont really mix.

djbrowney
10-03-10, 08:41 PM
the best thing about an xe is it only ever £20 to fix if it does ever go wrong afm, tps, throttle body, ecu, loom all the spares cost peanuts. ****ing strong engine really, vauxhall certanly havent built an engine as good as it since !

Damo
10-03-10, 08:49 PM
the best thing about an xe is it only ever £20 to fix if it does ever go wrong afm, tps, throttle body, ecu, loom all the spares cost peanuts. ****ing strong engine really, vauxhall certanly havent built an engine as good as it since !

Apsolutly true that mate and dont think there ever will be either.

Jack
10-03-10, 09:37 PM
True just seems at the mo because the prices are so high that you dont seem to get as much out of your money that what i meant lol.
lol yeah I see what you mean.

Lets say 35mpg. In real terms, at 109.9ppl and around 40 litres to fill a tank, that'd be just shy of £44 to fill and see you good for almost 310 miles.

Damo
10-03-10, 09:41 PM
lol yeah I see what you mean.

Lets say 35mpg. In real terms, at 109.9ppl and around 40 litres to fill a tank, that'd be just shy of £44 to fill and see you good for almost 310 miles.

On that perspective it dont seem too bad then lol.

Cheers jack.

blue_peg_16v
10-03-10, 09:44 PM
last time i went to heathers with mine with the let i got 300 miles before i had to fill up so yours will at least do that, i got better mpg out of an xe than a 1.2 as i had to kick thee 1.2s head in to get it to move lol

Lee H
11-03-10, 07:25 AM
Had XE Nova's or Corsa's as my daily cars for the last 5 years or so and had very few problems. They get driven hard everyday as well.

I get 120 miles to £20 but think that's more down to my driving.

Damo
11-03-10, 09:31 AM
last time i went to heathers with mine with the let i got 300 miles before i had to fill up so yours will at least do that, i got better mpg out of an xe than a 1.2 as i had to kick thee 1.2s head in to get it to move lol

Wel gives me cause for optimisum then lol yea am finding that the XE is better already on fuel its just with my tank sender not working right so im having to fill up early.

Damo
11-03-10, 09:36 AM
Had XE Nova's or Corsa's as my daily cars for the last 5 years or so and had very few problems. They get driven hard everyday as well.

I get 120 miles to £20 but think that's more down to my driving.

Lol well i hvent had the chance to kick its head in yet as i need a knock sensor on it so my revs are restricted to 3500rpm so im definatly filling up short.

Mazz
11-03-10, 10:10 AM
My XE has been fine, only problems i've had is with the gearbox - my own fault though, no oil!!

The main reason why i don't want mine as a daily is that don't want to become bored driving it...

Damo
11-03-10, 10:27 AM
Ive driven novas for years mazz its just one of them cars you carnt get bored of for some reason lol.

Mazz
11-03-10, 11:07 AM
Well, not exactly bored then, just always wanting more, Carbs / TB's / LET etc

blue_peg_16v
11-03-10, 11:18 AM
lol been down that road lol

Stuart
11-03-10, 11:22 AM
£44 to fill a nova tank.... feck "in my day" it was about £30 if she wasnt pulling fumes lol

crikey, £10 even at 70ppl was 3 gallllons and now £10 at 109.9ppl is 2 gallons... thats 'best' (or in some cases worst) case 40miles per tenner less for some folks.

iirc it was something like low 60's when I started driving waaaay back in 1998. I bet mowgli and CP remember fuel being in groats lol

MattBrown
11-03-10, 11:33 AM

Lol, Epic fail, if they last 150k with no issues, can't be a bad engine can they:thumb:

Damo
11-03-10, 11:36 AM
Well, not exactly bored then, just always wanting more, Carbs / TB's / LET etc

Lol well there its that.