PDA

View Full Version : Fed up by me yet ? last question

Markd89
09-03-10, 07:26 PM
As i recently found out i got sold the wrong crank and have one from an astra, different compression ratios

Is there anything to stop me from putting a 1.6 8v astra head on and the compression to be ok ?

I believe my engine is either a gsi / gte type but was updated with coil
i have researched and found out that there is a difference in the heads on a e16se / c16se

I pressume the pistons will be the same as the bearings are.

Just bang an astra head onto a nova block with an astra crank

if that makes sense lol :confused:

Damo
09-03-10, 09:23 PM
What engines the cranks from mate spi or mpi if its spi youd just be better off buying the correct crank from a mpi variant IMO they should be the same as the e16 the c16 just has more emmisions stuff on it i think compared to the e16 the bottom ends are the same.

let_nova
09-03-10, 09:24 PM
As i recently found out i got sold the wrong crank and have one from an astra, different compression ratios

Is there anything to stop me from putting a 1.6 8v astra head on and the compression to be ok ?

I believe my engine is either a gsi / gte type but was updated with coil
i have researched and found out that there is a difference in the heads on a e16se / c16se

I pressume the pistons will be the same as the bearings are.

Just bang an astra head onto a nova block with an astra crank

if that makes sense lol :confused:

i may be wrong but putting on a different head will keep the same compression, you need the correct crank, stop fecking around lol

Damo
09-03-10, 09:28 PM
i may be wrong but putting on a different head will keep the same compression, you need the correct crank, stop fecking around lol

Agreed let_nova a different head will keep the same compression or lower it depends on if the crank is a spi or mpi item.

mowgli
09-03-10, 09:29 PM
the cranks are close enough on the 1.6, the spi head is lower compression than the mpi

Damo
09-03-10, 09:31 PM
the cranks are close enough on the 1.6, the spi head is lower compression than the mpi

Ah right i though the spi would have a shorther throw/stroke.

mowgli
09-03-10, 09:32 PM
Ah right i though the spi would have a shorther throw/stroke.

the engines have common bottom ends.

Damo
09-03-10, 09:36 PM
the engines have common bottom ends.

Ah right fairy snuff mate.

Markd89
10-03-10, 05:39 PM
Its Mpi all round
the crank is from a 1.6 8v mpi astra
the head is from a nova gsi / gte with upgraded coil pack
with that setup it has low comp on all 4 and isnt driveable

i got told the injectors cam etc are different on the astras compared to novas

My idea is to buy the astra mpi head to match the bottom end then it should all work ??

garyc
10-03-10, 05:46 PM
On the 1400's the cranks are all the same the CR is adjusted by the crown height pistons & cut outs! I suspect this is the same for the 1600's

Damo
10-03-10, 06:04 PM
Its Mpi all round
the crank is from a 1.6 8v mpi astra
the head is from a nova gsi / gte with upgraded coil pack
with that setup it has low comp on all 4 and isnt driveable

i got told the injectors cam etc are different on the astras compared to novas

My idea is to buy the astra mpi head to match the bottom end then it should all work ??

The astra should have c16se then so should be the same as a late nova gsi setup they wouldnt change the engine specs for each car so you should be ok with what your running in theory so its got me baffled :confused: .

Markd89
10-03-10, 06:35 PM
right, the stupid vauxhall breaker from hull ( vauxspares )

i just rang them and asked did it come from a 1.6 8v mpi engine like i asked he said yea 100% sure mate

just got a phone call, oh no sorry mate its from a x14xe from a corsa sport

im getting a refund, total time waisted - 2 days hard graft

****a.

Damo
10-03-10, 06:39 PM
right, the stupid vauxhall breaker from hull ( vauxspares )

i just rang them and asked did it come from a 1.6 8v mpi engine like i asked he said yea 100% sure mate

just got a phone call, oh no sorry mate its from a x14xe from a corsa sport

im getting a refund, total time waisted - 2 days hard graft

****a.
Least youve got some answers as to why its down on power though mate an now you can source the right crank an sort it:thumb: .

Markd89
10-03-10, 06:44 PM
Least youve got some answers as to why its down on power though mate an now you can source the right crank an sort it:thumb: .

Novarally has one, making sure 100% is a 1600 8v before i go down though :thumb:

Damo
10-03-10, 06:55 PM
Novarally has one, making sure 100% is a 1600 8v before i go down though :thumb:

Yea i would mate you dont want same mistakes lol but colins good anyhow he wouldnt rip you off mate.:thumb: