PDA

View Full Version : engine rebuild

rysmee
14-04-03, 08:55 PM
still need a few questions answered about my engine rebuild.. sorry, its a new area to me!

1.Water and oil pumps- can you get 'uprated' versions? or
- use old ones overhualed or
- new factory parts

2.Gaskets - what type/thickness and where to get them from?

3.Pistons - i'll be getting a rebore done sometime... so do i need to get pistons from the same place or can anywhere eg courtenay make some up to match?

4. i'll be keeping standard injection, but are there any other inletmanifolds that i can get hold of.. or can my existing one be worked to gain more power?

sorry to be persistant but i need answers to spend some money. thanks

CP
15-04-03, 11:23 PM
1. Oil /water pump uprating? why do you feel you need to do this? Change the water pump if you want if corroded/ bearings noisy etc. Oil pump will prob be OK unless off a very high mileage engine. Haynes shows you how to measure wear - I found mine to be within tolerances so I left it alone.
2. Gaskets etc - although more expensive the Vaux head gaskets are made better than the cheapo ones. Usually sold as set with all the various gaskets you need. You should also change the valve stem seals and buy new head bolts.
3. Pistons - std ones are fine for your application. Go to an automotive engineer and get him to measure your wear and do the re-bore and bottom end re-build for you. He will re- bore, install new oversize pistons and either polish or re-grind your crank and give you new mains to suit. This will cost you ?4 -600.
4. You wont be able to do a lot with the std inlet manifold cos the runners are too long to get a grinder up into them.

avon_nova
20-04-03, 09:34 PM
Ryan you slaaag! :D Glad someone replied for you cheers CP, can I ask another question on his behalf?

What's the best way to get about 150/160bhp out of his engine (1.6 8v GTE/Gsi not late Multec engine) without turboing it?

Wanting to keep injection and not sacrifice too much low power etc.

Difficult question probably need a new thread i suppose.

Fester
20-04-03, 10:48 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0951610201/qid%3D1050875058/026-4550345-4585225

the dealersport nova build manual.

details the 1600i 8v group a engine spec. says power should easily be between 140-150bhp. now this is with the standard inlet system (save 2000gsi injectors) and also same engine capacity. ok it details cossie pistons and an 11.4 compression ratio as well, i dont know how much money is available to throw at this. rules dictate standard exhaust manifold, so straight away you have PLENTY of scope to improve on the '140-150bhp' with a displacement increase, an exhaust manifold change and binning off the standard injection system.

I think it would be possible to get the '160bhp' if you are prepared to throw stacks at it. I guess it would get to the point where price overlaps that of getting another engine (eg. 1600 16v) and going down those routes

mikeoxford
20-04-03, 10:57 PM
I think it would be possible to get the '160bhp' if you are prepared to throw stacks at it. I guess it would get to the point where price overlaps that of getting another engine (eg. 1600 16v) and going down those routes

i can relate to this, spending cash on my 1400, only to have the piston ring go, this time i started with a nice low mileage 1600 8v, may as well - theres an instant BHP increase, and all the tuning parts i had can go on this 1600..........