PDA

View Full Version : how much

Nebbz
09-03-10, 03:29 PM
roughly does it cost to have a c20let engine fitted in a standard (non seam welded) 1.2 shell...

Decided to keep the nova, after much hmmin and arrring, but its just too cute to sell up and get a jap car!? not to mention i have fun in it being a 1.2! can only imagine a 2.0 turbo.

what sort of work am i looking to be done on the car for it to handle the engine? is it a straight drop! this would be my 1st transplant, usually i just buy a new car but i likes my nova dont want a different one lol :thumb:

Jack
09-03-10, 03:32 PM
Expensive. Next question? lol

You need to factor the cost of the engine itself, mounts, fueling, uprated suspension, brakes, chassis strengthening (personally I wouldn't want a 200bhp engine in a non-welded car, my 210bhp V6 is happily pulling my saloon apart and thats welded & plated), then other stuff like increased insurance, tax etc. Not to mention labour if you're paying someone else to do the conversion...

Mike
09-03-10, 03:34 PM
If your paying a garage to do it, good luck finding one willing to take this kinda conversion on!

Hence why EVERYONE does it themselves!

draper
09-03-10, 03:41 PM
work before the conversion - suspension and brake upgrades, strenghning and any repair work that will need doing

then theres buying and rebuilding a LET itself, easily 1.5k gone there - more if stuff is fubared and needs replacing/upgrading

labour - will vary massively on how/who/where you get the work done

L33 LEG
09-03-10, 03:52 PM
I'd buy the jap car tbh lol

Mike
09-03-10, 04:07 PM

Couldnt agree more lol

lewisvalver
09-03-10, 04:10 PM
or buy one thats already got a Let in it, would save you alot of pennies and will be less hassle

novasrikev
09-03-10, 04:13 PM
have a look on just novas and corsas i was looking on there quite expensive for 3 days work!

draper
09-03-10, 04:16 PM
have a look on just novas and corsas i was looking on there quite expensive for 3 days work!

and theyve shut now lol

General Baxter
09-03-10, 05:15 PM
for about 2 years lol

Jack
09-03-10, 05:33 PM
Goes without saying tbh. Given the choice of my GT4 - which I know you were looking at one - or my Nova, the celica wins hands down every time.

novasrikev
09-03-10, 06:11 PM
and theyve shut now lol

not suprised how much they were trying to charge for stufflol

Nebbz
09-03-10, 06:58 PM
Goes without saying tbh. Given the choice of my GT4 - which I know you were looking at one - or my Nova, the celica wins hands down every time.

this is the thing, there such big cars, and i was for ever scraping the front end on things when i had my GT import.

I REAALLY WANT ONE but a pocket rocket really seems apealing. it wouldnt be done in a garage as mates would be helping and i would be getting my hands dirty.

ooo its so hard, both are quite expensive ideas :wtf: lol

Rickardo
09-03-10, 07:04 PM
The best option is to buy one already in.

Just make sure some retard hasn't put it in wrong/unsafe.

Even if it's in correct, they need looking after.

They are more temperamental than a woman. :)

Ben
09-03-10, 07:07 PM
If you want a quick pocket rocket get a glanza or starlet turbo lol

On a side note IF you do want a LET fitted i know a couple of people locally who would do it for relatively cheap price and there work is top notch!

mowgli
09-03-10, 07:09 PM
do it in stages. a 2.0 16v will be an absolute monster compared to a 1.2, and the major work is the same, ie:mounts, shafts etc...

advantages:

1. cost will be spread
2. you will get used to the power
3. any faults will be easier to sort.

Nebbz
09-03-10, 07:11 PM
do it in stages. a 2.0 16v will be an absolute monster compared to a 1.2, and the major work is the same, ie:mounts, shafts etc...

advantages:

1. cost will be spread
2. you will get used to the power
3. any faults will be easier to sort.

i had this in mind, is the 16v just the normal red top. as going by my searches so far much easier to find! lol

MK999
09-03-10, 07:13 PM
Depends who sells it to you, generally the lower the IQ the more it's called a redtop yo, and they may well be selling you anything with a red spark plug cover lol

(that's a yes)

Jack
09-03-10, 07:17 PM
Was thinking the XE first would be the way to go.

As for the Gt4 being a big car, yes it is; but to drive it feels surprisingly small. Visibility all round is ace and its so easy to handle. I'd take you out in my nova and the celica if you fancied seeing what they're like lol

Ben
09-03-10, 08:01 PM
I'd take you out in my nova and the celica if you fancied seeing what they're like lol

Wonder if that offer applies to all members? Or just the pretty female ones rofl

MK999
09-03-10, 08:02 PM
Wonder if that offer applies to all members? Or just the pretty female ones rofl

Just Nebbz and Lee so far, so the pretty feminine ones lol

Jack
09-03-10, 08:06 PM
Ben, would you like a ride with me? :d

I was going to edit the post and say "...if you did, you'd have to wait at least a month til I can drive again" lol

stupot89
09-03-10, 08:09 PM
If your paying a garage to do it, good luck finding one willing to take this kinda conversion on!

Hence why EVERYONE does it themselves!

give this garage a call they offer a good service with competative rates www.mcdvauxconversions.co.uk (http://www.mcdvauxconversions.co.uk)

novasrikev
09-03-10, 09:28 PM
If you want a quick pocket rocket get a glanza or starlet turbo lol

On a side note IF you do want a LET fitted i know a couple of people locally who would do it for relatively cheap price and there work is top notch!

glanza or starlet they are jap crap not very fast at all my standerd sri thrashed them:)

Nebbz
09-03-10, 09:56 PM
Was thinking the XE first would be the way to go.

As for the Gt4 being a big car, yes it is; but to drive it feels surprisingly small. Visibility all round is ace and its so easy to handle. I'd take you out in my nova and the celica if you fancied seeing what they're like lol

i know the cockpits one reason i love the celica as a whole, but i dont think i could have another with out it being a GT4 it would'nt feel right :thumb:

and yea i was on about the c20XE engine haha, always up for a spin!!

Ben
09-03-10, 10:14 PM
glanza or starlet they are jap crap not very fast at all my standerd sri thrashed them:)

would like to see that lol

Nebbz
09-03-10, 10:38 PM

the new chav car if you havent noticed, not to mention they are only 1.6's are they not? no ta. only ever liked one, and the div put it in a ditch :roll:

got to be a big jap engine that fills the whole space personally not a diddly little thing lol either way the nova stays, its just i am killing my engine :wtf: i drive it like a 2.0 so think i need one!

Ben
09-03-10, 11:20 PM
1.3 turbo's very tuneable, had a customer with 300+bhp variant.

burgo
10-03-10, 09:30 AM
if you do it properly and starting with a standard car theres probably about £3000 in parts needs

dj_wudgey
10-03-10, 09:32 AM
cosvaux used to do them aswell but they shut a few years back!! and yea mate your asking for trouble not having it seem welded will just pull the car to pieces!!

Jack
10-03-10, 10:01 AM
would like to see that lol
LOL yeah, was going to say. 1.3T 135bhp or 1.4 N/A 82bhp. Or rather, 143bhp/ton against 103bhp/ton. You sure it was a Glanza Turbo? lol

C20XE isn't particularly fast, my saloon was slower than the Celica when it had the 2.0 in. Its a good step up on the way to a LET though.

Paul
10-03-10, 10:12 AM

You my firend are the biggest dreamer I've encountered this year so far.

JShannon
10-03-10, 10:31 AM
Lol too true. A pal of mine had a glanza turbo that would leave my bosses mitsi evo standing!!!

Couldn't see an Sri nova keeping up with one at all tbh!

Joe:thumb:

L33 LEG
10-03-10, 10:34 AM
Lol too true. A pal of mine had a glanza turbo that would leave my bosses mitsi evo standing!!!

Couldn't see an Sri nova keeping up with one at all tbh!

Joe:thumb:

lol obviously that wasnt a standard glanza then? Iirc a standard one is a similar speed to a vts. VERY tuneable and can be rapid but as standard they arnt any quicker than the average hot hatch.

However, an sri should not have kept up with on, and also an evo would not be left standing by a standard one.

Connor
10-03-10, 01:16 PM
sorry to go off topic,
but for a lil pocket rocket glanzas are very good for the cash
or if you wanted even better value get a GT turbo
pick one up for about £1500 nowadays (gt)
trade in the engine for a fully forged one and get a TD04 turbo kit
and your getting an easy 230bhp + for less than 3k (including cost of car)
This is my bros old one... standard engine and standard turbo running 190bhp from remap, filter and uprated actuator
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs177.snc3/20472_1332973490946_1429306691_928321_3563355_n.jp g

draper
10-03-10, 01:19 PM
^^ i like that !!! the chav element puts me off having one tho

Jack
10-03-10, 01:21 PM
Mmm.. I don't think they're too bad on the chavtastic scale. Not too common either which is nice, and they look good with just a few simple mods.

draper
10-03-10, 01:21 PM
there common as scoobies round here, and driven by barry

MK999
10-03-10, 01:23 PM
I'm not a big fan of the back end of them, look like a chavved up micra from the back.

Connor
10-03-10, 01:33 PM
Have to agree with the barry boy element
thats the main reason my bro got rid lol
But they are really nice cars for the money
and well equipped, only problem being is that
they do NOT go round corners well unless serious money spent
on a decent suspension setup
(my 1.2 nova kill my bros glanza on the backroads lol)
And also they have the turning circle of a fish!
The biggest startlet tuning company (TM DEVELOPMENTS), funnily is based in my hometown...
and they acheived 438.8bhp @ 1.8 bar. Uk's quickest starlet :eek: :eek: :eek:

burgo
10-03-10, 01:35 PM
Have to agree with the barry boy element
thats the main reason my bro got rid lol
But they are really nice cars for the money
and well equipped, only problem being is that
they do NOT go round corners well unless serious money spent
on a decent suspension setup
(my 1.2 nova kill my bros glanza on the backroads lol)
And also they have the turning circle of a fish!
The biggest startlet tuning company (TM DEVELOPMENTS), funnily is based in my hometown...
and they acheived 438.8bhp @ 1.8 bar. Uk's quickest starlet :eek: :eek: :eek:

:confused: the way you set out your posts is odd

Connor
10-03-10, 01:41 PM
:confused: the way you set out your posts is odd

meh :p
i am crap at writing layout,
is is that bad...
.. i think it makes it easier to read
actually thats probably just me

Ben
10-03-10, 07:48 PM
You my firend are the biggest dreamer I've encountered this year so far.

Rofl!!!

Heres a pic whore of aforementioned Starlet...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/lurk75/S1%20RST/19.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/lurk75/S1%20RST/16.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/lurk75/S1%20RST/15.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/lurk75/S1%20RST/17.jpg

MK999
10-03-10, 07:55 PM
^ That may well be a different mk x to the ones I saw as that back end doesn't look too bad at all :)

Nebbz
10-03-10, 07:57 PM
Rofl!!!

Heres a pic whore of aforementioned Starlet...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/lurk75/S1%20RST/19.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/lurk75/S1%20RST/16.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/lurk75/S1%20RST/15.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/lurk75/S1%20RST/17.jpg

Has this one recently been up for sale??? as seen one or that exact picture on piston heads.

Meh just want some thing that feels like its going to snap my head off my neck and get the old heart pumping again, getting far to confident in the nova almost cocky lol

Ben
10-03-10, 07:58 PM
Possibly the guy whio owned it when i was working on it is doing ten years now lol

There my pics though

deanwilko
10-03-10, 08:01 PM

i can confirm this dont no why but kev's standard sri is rapid for some reason.

Jack
10-03-10, 08:18 PM
Meh just want some thing that feels like its going to snap my head off my neck and get the old heart pumping again, getting far to confident in the nova almost cocky lol
An XE Nova won't do that. A LET might, a 182V6 will. The 205 won't snap your head with acceleration either; its fast, but smooth

Mark, thats an early Starlet, this (http://www.todoroki-trading.com/stock/toyota/056-starlet/image23.jpg) is the later one (Glanza) you're thinking of. I prefer them slightly.

Ben, I remember those pics when you posted them on here before. Nice :cool:

MK999
10-03-10, 08:26 PM
Yeah definitely prefer the earlier one, back end is more scooby esque than micra, which is an improvement lol

muzzy
10-03-10, 08:29 PM
Every second car up here was a Glanza for a while and before that the Starlet GTT. I quite like them, they go quite well too even standard. I also don't think a 1400 SRi Nova could remotely keep up with a Glanza, the power figures speak for themselves, are you sure it wasn't a Sportif? lol

novasrikev
10-03-10, 10:25 PM
no it was a glanza an the sri sticks to the back of focus rs's fo some reason i dont no why only round town not on the straights they eat me for dust

puss puss
10-03-10, 10:50 PM
no it was a glanza an the sri sticks to the back of focus rs's fo some reason i dont no why only round town not on the straights they eat me for dust

maybe because it's a 30 around town?

then once they get to national speed limit they think sod this kid in this nova and leave ya for dust.

So then what is this magicly sri had done to it.

You made me sign in purely to reply to that statement lol :thumb: